Flipsky 63100 Motor

For a while, I’ve been looking for feedback on this forum and, excuse me if I’ve missed it, but I haven’t found any.
Flipsky is offering a 63100 motor. Anyone here use it in a build? If so, what are your thoughts? Overkill? Unable to finesse? etc…
How does it compare to a 6374?

3 Likes

Good if you need over 12S I think

Never had Flipsky motors but the new models are battle hardened except the 63100.

For which board/setup (single/dual) you want to use them?

My 6384 (@80A) have about the same torque as 6374(@100A) from my experience.

2 Likes

Are the aps 63100/63105 the same as flipsky ?
Never had a pair in hand but ordered a pair of 63105 for upgrade my sealed maytech 6374 who overheating all ride long.

Curious to see the difference.

4 Likes

Are you saying that you notice no (or barely any) difference between 6374 and 6384?

When using the exact same settings then the 6384 has definitely more power. When increasing motor amps on the 6374 it feels about equal to 6384. In my case 6384 (80A/-40A) and 6374 (100A/-60A).

1 Like

Are they the same KV?

2 Likes

No,

the APS 63100/63105 V2 have upgraded bearings but the can is Open…
The flipsky 63100 i don’t know what bearings they use, probably less good than the APS V2, but doesn’t really matter, but the can is closed

3 Likes

Yes same KV on the same board/setup. But not the same motor brand. But both 6384 I have (APS V2 and chinese) are more powerful than closed Maytech 6374 with 80 motor amps per ESC.

Once I’ve tried a similar board with same gearing and 6374 motors @120A. It felt waaaay more powerful than my 6384 @80A.

2 Likes

Paging @tomiboi !!

On the topic of affordable big motors I picked up 4 from these guys:

8 Likes

In theory Motor size should not really change the torque. Only KV and motor Amps decide the toque. There are always manufacturing tolerances and small efficiency differences.

At very high amps you might saturate the motor but I’m not sure if that already happens at 100A for 6374.

8 Likes

I read this all the time but can’t agree on this point. Maybe I don’t see the missing link but the bigger the motor the more powaaaar and I can climb steeper hills. At least that’s what I recognize.

For example 6355 are lame compared to 6364 or 6374 with same motor amps. Also in the specs of motors the torque increases with size. From my understanding the more copper and the bigger the magnets the more power.

APS 6355 vs. closed Maytech 6374 vs. APS 6384 V2

Why should someone mount a massive and very heavy 63100 motor if the torque is the same as a light-weight 6355?

Yeah that’s one possible problem, the more significant is temperature. Even at 80 motor amps every motor I had got too hot. Since last year my Vesc 6 start thermal throttling on almost every ride from spring to autumn, that sucks… That never happened with 60A but 80A-100A is more fun.

6 Likes

Where should the additional power come from or go to? They all have similar efficiency and you cant generate or vanish power from nothing.

because Torque = Current * 60 / (2* π* motor KV)
there is no motor size in this formula.

I guess the biggest difference is internal resistance. My only explanation would be that you don’t pull the the same motor current as with bigger motors even if you have the same vesc settings.

If the internal resistance is the limiting factor you actually pull less amps in the same situation so it feels weaker.

In general bigger motors are only better because they have lower resitance and can handle the heat better.

7 Likes

The power is heavily related to the volume. Size matters…

1 Like

Yes the effective power you can really use before overheating is related to size. But in theory if you raise the voltage far enough that you also pull the same current in smaller motors it would have the same torque I think. Am a wrong about that?

There is stator saturation but I’m not sure when that comes into play.

2 Likes

I’m interested in seeing how these work out. The price is good and they offer a lot of choices. I love choices.

The flispky motors continue to run smoothly, but I haven’t had a chance to really beat them up yet. I did get them soaking wet and all is well.

1 Like

Voltage*amperage=watts(power). Size of motor increases the capacity for more power. Blise518B is correct for the most part in my opinion.

And to reply to the op, if you are considering a 63100 motor, be sure to account for a higher power esc and battery to fully utilize the capacity of the bigger motor. This motor allows you to go past 12s.

63100 seems like overkill to me unless you are doing single drive or if you are trying to turn 9+ inch tires up steep inclines. The weight to power capacity tradeoff should be considered. Even 6380s are damn heavy.

IMHO dual 6374 is PLENTY of motor for a street board and is sufficient for small (@150mm) pneumatics. I haven’t built or ridden 4WD yet, but everything I have read makes me think you could probably downsize the motors vs 2WD while still dramatically increasing performance.

But on the other hand, these 63100 motors do look cool AF! (and they should run cool too)

2 Likes