Flipsky 63100 - Anyone had any issues?

I got the Flipsky 63100 190KV. I purchased it when I was still new and didn’t know very much. It’s rated for 10Nm, but clearly that only applies to the 140KV version. While obvious to me now that the same motor at higher KVs will have less torque, I had no idea back then. They really should have made it clear on the product page :frowning:!

So I was thinking about buying the 140KV version to get that torque. The torque I measured from my 63100 190KV was 4Nm. Quite a bit less than I’d like sadly.

However, I wanted to see if anyone has had experiences with their motors. I haven’t found much about them in forums recently. My personal experience has been just fine. The motor, and heck, even the 75200 VESC has given me no problems so far once I figured everything out (except for the firmware issues ;-;).

In fact, my experience with Flipsky’s customer service has been great. I had an issue and they made it right with me. They were responsive and gave helpful information (including video steps!).

However, I want the most reliable motor I can get. This Flipsky 63100 checks all the boxes, with battle hardening, good build, power, 420 SS shaft (which they confirmed was hardened and stress relieved which can be triple the strength of its annealed counterpart), etc…

But if someone has another motor recommendation or a story about their experience with flipsky motors, I’d be curious to know!

2 Likes

Thats what i have on my build, paired with BN 5.20 gearing, plenty of power to get up anything on or off road in KY.

I was just as happy with 6384’s with less weight.

2 Likes

I only have good things to say about their BH 6384s, same as @Paul77, they can’t do the current or torque of Reacher motors but they’re 1/2-1/3 of the cost so eh.

3 Likes

Just know that you aren’t getting more torque for free. You give up top speed for that torque when you move from 190kv to 140kv, and keep all else equal.

1 Like

Of course. I’ve already built a skateboard with the 190KV version, but I needed the torque for a different project. I want to give it a torque multiplication. It’s a small multiplication for a 10Nm motor, but would be a much greater needed multiplication (a therefore a greater input speed wearing everything out) when it’s 4Nm.

I don’t know what your build looks like, but you could maybe just switch gear ratios instead of switching motors. That is a potentially cheaper/easier solution for more torque.

1 Like

Well my skateboard is doing fine with the 190KV version. It has 3.75:1 gearing, giving it 15Nm of torque, which is plenty for the skateboard!

But for my other project, I need more than 10Nm of torque. The smaller the gear ratio the better - so gearing 10Nm would require only a small torque multiplication, but gearing the 4Nm version would require a greater multiplication and even more input speed from the motor.

1 Like

The question is do you have a street board or an off-road board? Also are you using gear or belt?

This new project is not a board at all. It will be using gears though. I heard that helical gears put stress on the motor shaft, so I won’t be using those.

What are you building?

It’s a secret :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Lol well those motor wont have that shaft issue if you shim the shaft with washers or get straight cut gears.

2 Likes

I am running some of the Flipsky 63100s right now and I’m pretty happy with them although I am still looking for more power so I’m planning to switch to the SKP 7490s. From the torque numbers I’ve seen on various motors, I’ve been surprised at how small a difference there is between say 190KV and 140KV motors.

The only thing I’d say about the 63100s is that since the can is completely closed, depending on your situation, heat may be an issue. I only started running mine in the fall but never had any issues so far.

2 Likes

What’s it mean to shim the shaft? You mean just add washers to the shaft under the snap ring? Never heard of that before.

I’ll never understand these companies. I look up SKP 7490, I find the product page, there’s no information about the motor at all. There’s no max wattage, recommended amps/volts, torque, build information - just nothing.

I see this so often, motors that costs hundreds and yet there no information about them at all. How can they expect someone to buy it blindly. Maybe the information is “out there”, but it should be on the product page.

Well, unless the torque is needed it, it’ll never be used. The acceleration and braking higher torque can provide is such that you’d be flung off the board if you ever made use of them!

In esk8, the torque is beneficial for heavy boards and riders. Particularly off-roading benefits from being able to command torque, perhaps for just a fraction of a second, where otherwise a wheel might get stuck. In fact, you benefit from being heavier off-road as it increases friction, giving you traction. But that also means your motor needs more “oomph”!

Also, you may sacrifice top speed for greater torque, but depending on the tire size and gear ratio, the theoretical top speed can be way beyond what anyone should be comfortable riding at. For mine, it would be 45 miles/h! A 140KV for me would give a theoretical top speed of 33 miles/h. So even though this isn’t for my board, it would still benefit from a lower KV motor.

1 Like

They are basically these: Reacher New Hot 48v 10000w electric skateboard brushless dc motor 12000rpm

Believe me, I’m using it. Enough that all my builds are now 4WD. What I’m saying is if you look at the numbers and compare the differences in speed between different KV motors compared to the differences in torque, even after gearing, the differences in torque are not as big as you might think. If you really want more torque you’re better off first changing your gearing as much as you can.

1 Like

Link is dead XD!

Hmm, it definitely depends on the motors. The difference between 10 and 4Nm is substantial, especially for my project where motors don’t need too much speed, they need a lot of torque. There’s gonna be a good amount of gearing as well.

I’ve reached out to Flipsky to make sure the 10Nm torque rating is accurate. The math for my project works out nicely, and the 4Nm of torque I measured from the 190KV version perfectly correlates with the results I’ve been getting. So it should make all the difference for me :3

Also seems like everyone only has good things to say about their motors.

It’s not dead. I just clicked on it in my post. Works fine.

Will add info to the page soon, I am so incredibly busy trying to get battery orders out it’s hard to keep up with everything else that’s needs to be done to the website.

This is essentially the motor. The one they make for me has a retaining ring on the magnets and all the same reliability aspects of the 6485 motor that I sell.

I see. The link isn’t dead. My Apache installation was interfering since it was communicating on the same 443 port so it couldn’t connect me to the site.

Motor is rated for a lot of power, but only 4.3Nm, very similar to what I measured from the 63100. Of course, all that extra power is for the speed 265KV will give you.

They did have a motor that could do 11Nm or 14Nm (it couldn’t decide apparently :joy:). But those seem much more expensive.

1 Like

Links not dead. It’s just not a encrypted https is my guess as to why you can’t get in. So what we browser your using is probably blocking it. Or antivirus is preventing you from getting to it.