Flipsky 16.3 cnc trucks

Hi, can someone help me figure out the thread for these mounts? I have most bolt sizes on hand and m6 doesnt seem to fit. Not sure doesnt look standard. Any help appreciated.

The idler holes in specific. Thanks.

1 Like

Have you tried imperial bolt sizes?

2 Likes

I have a few on hand, i guess im looking for 1/4 20?

2 Likes

I believe so, if m6 seems too big. Unless they’ve managed to anodize the inside of the hole so much that the appropriate metric won’t fit.

3 Likes

… hheh i cant believe there is no information. The rest of the truck is metric.

Idk thought it should hand thread fine.

1 Like

I wouldn’t force anything that doesn’t thread smoothly without too much force. Tried reaching out to Flipsky?

I’d be suprised if they developed a custom bore size, which would require a custom bolt. That’s some Apple shenanigans right there

My joke with these things is “proprietary thread #9” haha. Doesnt seem to exist. My 1/4 20 refrence has a poor end of the thread so ill have to pick up more and double check. Still wouldnt make the slightest of sense

Will reach out if im left boardless for too much longer

2 Likes

I don’t know man. Baseplate holes and truck axles tend to be imperial, no? I think it’s mostly out of tradition though.

It DOES seem weird to introduce an entirey new hole without it being metric like you say, when the rest of the drivetrain is metric. Especially when it’s made by a chinese company.

But who knows, maybe they’ve stolen the blueprints from some poor american? :cry:

2 Likes

Good points. I sent an email ill update with their response. Its odd there are no idlers included or listed.

1 Like

Also the included bolts for mounting the truck to the deck in this case were m5. But the axle does seem coarse.

2 Likes

M5 usually works for the baseplates, that’s what I use as well unless I have proper hardware. I believe it’s because it’s such a small difference between 3/16 and m5

1 Like

If you don’t want to wait for a response, you can always pick up a cheap metric thread kit and use the smallest size that can still thread the hole. (probably will be m5 since you said it is slightly too big for the hole) Plus then you’d have the tools to rethread holes in the future which is always convenient.

They had some of the kits at the auto parts store if you don’t want to wait for shipping.

2 Likes

M5 fits through without grabbing, m6 is to big. The mounts seem pretty tough even with my allen keys m6 doesnt wantto go through.

I have a tap if i want to go that route, but the threads that are there will obviously get destroyed and that breaks my heart.

1 Like

Then I’d go with an m6 thread tool. It looks like there should still be plenty of room/ enough material in that area to safely make the hole slightly larger. You can buy cutting oil to make it easier but I’ve had no problems just using wd-40 instead

I mean you’d be destroying a poorly designed thread so nothing to feel bad about

1 Like

M6 seems to be the appropriate bolt size. Just snug.

3 Likes

You are better with it being snug to start off since that way if the threads get a little damaged it should still have enough left to lock in. Although It is a bit weird that the idler mount holes are threaded since there is plenty of room on the other side to use a nut. :thinking:

2 Likes

Agreed all around

2 Likes

Flippy reached out. They claim m5, i dont think they even read my question. Anyway, 2 m6 idlers with 17mm bearings and a 15t 72t set up uses 475mm belts with adjustability. Huge pain finding the right belts for this.

2 Likes

vbelt guys has them 475-5M-15 Synchronous Timing Belt – V-Belt Guys (vbeltguys.com)

2 Likes

I found swyftrobotics they had cheap shipping. I checked around and either the wait time was too high or the shipping was 30$ for 2 belts.

Ill check out that website next order hopefully shipping aint too bad

1 Like