FlexiPack, no soldering, no welding, battery pack building method. Looking for participants for testing phase.

I’m mentioning here the people I’m interested in joining the first round of testing.

@rusins So I’d assume you’re interested, as we have already talked about the pack that you want, use case and used cells?

@tech.shit You’re interested in making a segmented underslung pack?

@Plurf a rigid one piece 12S1P pack with Molicel cells.

@yoyotinker Are looking for a rigid single segment pack?

@zero_ads Are you interested in joining? Segmented pack I’d guess?

@ShutterShock You seem interested, what kind of pack are you looking for?

I’ll start with the 6 above mentioned people, assuming they all want to participate. You can accept, reject or ask for more info in this thread. I’ll kick off the group PM soonish and add the confirmed participants there. I’ll share more detailed info about the pack construction there.

3 Likes

yes, in two layers, thanks :slight_smile:

edit: also if you need help with prototiping, I can lazercut plywood or the like

(Did that for my fpv goggles at some point)

2 Likes

Now when you say “in two layers” do you mean staggered like this? And the whole thing is a single rigid pack? or do you mean 2x 6S1P separate packs?

1 Like

yes, exactly

Which way do you want the cells to be connected in series? Red or Green?

EDIT: this is also possible, it’s quite arbitrary how they can be connected, within certain limits of course.

The pack I use is like the green one because it made more sens mecanically, but if the whole thing is already rigid and there’s no risk of short between the 1 adn the 12 both are fine for me,
I guess the red one save cable length

I’m interested, but I’ll have to pass I need an enclosure or to make one. And not sure when that’ll happen, so I wouldn’t be able to test any time soon. It’d be a weird config too 8x10 20s4p molicels with split groups involved.

1 Like

I will have to get back to you tonight with specifics. If you are saying that it can work for underslung enclosures, I need to make a battery for my hummie still, do you think that is possible?

Underslung pack into this deck?

What’s the internal space available for the battery pack with the enclosure on?

2 Likes

I’ll look at that tonight - and yeah that would be the goal. No idea if it will fit though. If it won’t, I’ll probably do a brick pack, whose dims and config I’ll get tonight too

1 Like

Correct, and this would be 20s

I’m guessing it would be 2 or 4 segments? How many parallel cells in each segment?

2p.

Approx space is 143mm wide by 25mm tall

Length up to about 500mm

Let me know what you could fit in that space. Hummie has a slight amount of flex to it. Looking to get a 100a battery with P42a

Most series possible, up to 16

1 Like

That shouldn’t be a problem, for a single stack height.

But this is. The total length in the cells length direction with the pack structure is 76mm, so they won’t quite fit as 2 long straight stacks, side by side (shown below, not to scale).

So the other option would be to put multiple modules sideways (shown below, not to scale). This would also allow the deck flex not to a problem.

So you already have your other electronics in there and there is 500mm of free space available for the battery?

5 segments should fit with 100mm reserved for each, so plenty of breathing room. It would fit 6 cells side by side, so it could make a total 15S2P pack, divided into 5 segments of 3S2P.

6 segments would be snug (83mm reserve, so ~8mm of space between packs), but should still fit, but there isn’t any reasonable configuration to make with that, unless it’s 12S3P, but I don’t know if that’s too low of a S-count for you?

That is correct. Underslung config. Looking to use P42As, which have a slightly larger OD than standard 21700s.

Hmm. This is quite the predicament. SS makes this real tough. 15s2p is kind of pointless over 12s3p.

Yeah that’s what I meant. I left enough space leftover in the available space for the electronics, so I have ~500 for the battery.

I will probably skip this concept for the hummie haha I don’t wanna have to do some weird split thing with part in a top enclosure, so I’ll figure something else out

For a top mount pack, here’s my space:

The 20mm space is for any connectors, bms, etc. I could alternatively put the bms on top of the pack and use up to 14mm of that space, so maximum space would be around 194 with top mounted bms.

Not sure how your balance wire routing works exactly

16s battery is what I’d be looking for in this space p groups maximized

Thanks for doing all this free analysis haha

1 Like

How much space do you have available for the battery pack?

1 Like

Man this 16S6P is soo close to fitting. The top-down (image perspective) just about is too snug for your 194mm limit.

Would have connected the cells so

Wow that is pretty close. I can definitely make that work with top mounted bms, and some wiring finagling.

Let me think about it for a bit - I need to make sure i can afford this lol that’s almost 500 in cells