FlexiCharger USB-PD, concept stage

I would assume you would keep the BMS in the middle in the case of your answer.

Question in this case is then, even if AS is turned on how do you then allow the BMS to switch on the charging FETs, so the charger module is connected to the battery?

Or did you mean some kind of different setup?

Let me preface with the fact that I am crazy underqualified compared to you:

Id connect it in parallel to the ESC, no?

1 Like

Okay, first clarification, do you want to use it in dual mode charger&powerbank or only in powerbank mode considering you mentioned?

1 Like

Okay, I see now. If you go with what I said then charging the board via usb would overcharge cells and whatnot. Only way would be to have separate terminals for charge in and charge out. Then it would be in parallel with the charge circuit and the ESC

1 Like

Sorry for asking more questions, but I’m gonna ask if there is ambiguity.

Do you mean 2 USB-C -ports, one for charging the board and other for powerbank output, or do you mean 1 USB-port and then two connectors on the charger module’s battery pack side output, one to connect to the BMS’ charger port and other to directly connect to the pack?

this one

1 Like

Then based on that, I would then ask the question, would people find it reasonable to run two different power wires on the inside?

I’d be okay with it. The amount of current is so low you could use some thin wire thats easy to manage.

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

3 Likes

I am curious if he continued work on it too

Found this thread last week while looking at usb c charging

Same same. Although I’m not expecting any reply soon, as Simo said he’s gonna be less active here.

1 Like

I think, this project is overdoing it:

There are already good 20v pd triggers, what’s needed is a programmable hiquality 20vin and 42v to 84v vout

I mean you may have a point, but did you see his flowchart? There were a couple cool features that this theoretically would have over normal circuits. I think also new things have come out since this idea was originated

PD has become more engrained than it was then

1 Like

New USB pd standard is 48v @5a. Should make this even easier?

1 Like

Eventually but it will be a while before the chips supporting this are available.

2 Likes

42Vout isn’t too hard to do efficiently. Getting to 84V from 20V is tough and it will run hot. The new 48V PD standard will eventually help with that though as 48V to 84V can be done very efficiently. But only about 2.5A will be available.

which manufacturers pushed 48v pd to standard?

The organization that does USB just released the standard.

the organization is supported by different manufacturers… which ones are interested in 48v pd?

If it’s apple pushing 48v then adoption will be wide. if it’s 有限公司 it might just be a standard on a piece of paper

1 Like

What do you think of 20v → 50.4v? Will this run very hot too?

1 Like