FlexiBMS Public Support, Feature & Troubleshooting Thread

If you had FlexiBMS FW0.19, it was not supported, just added support for it in the Metr app and firmware, please update.

3 Likes

https://forum.esk8.news/t/the-bitching-thread-bitch-about-random-shit-get-it-all-off-your-chest/8694/4800?u=rds

Ok, so this just happened. @SimosMCmuffin .
What happened: Left my board on storage capacity, somewhere in between 3 months flexi BMS has gone through entire battery (essentially killing it).

Setup: Flexi BMS
Serial number, FW version: Couldn’t find original package right away but will let you know once I find it. Flexi I had was from last February drop with the firmware it came with.
Settings: device isn’t recognized with usb cable anymore but the blue light lights up on the board when usb is connected. Tried different cables, different power supplies, reinstalling drivers. Still nothing.
Connections: only thing connected to bms was battery power, balance wires and Can bus connector from ESC. ESC and any other auxiliaries where disconnected with loopkey.

Genuinely depressing to say the least. While I’m pissed off at the entire ordeal I hope this can get fixed so that anyone else doesn’t have to endure seeing almost new battery go in the dumpster. I’m ready supply any other info needed.

2 Likes

If you store your board and want the BMS to stay connected (not recommended with any BMS as they ALL draw a little power to monitor the cells) I’d recommend to disable CAN listening, as this draws the most power in the flexi.

1 Like

Shure, I agree, but it shouldn’t be as fast as 3 months. And even if it does shouldn’t there be protection where it shuts down bms in order to not drain battery dry and risk fire?
Regarding CAN, wasn’t the power input line from vesc power there for that specific reason to not wait for can commands if VESC is powered off?

2 Likes

How would the BMS know that the VESC ist powered off if it doesn’t listen for can signals? And fast is relative, a cell on storage voltage doesn’t contain much energy at all. :smiley: have you tried reviving the pack? You may be able to rescue some p-groups. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Using the supplied pin on the bms for that specific purpose, which was connected in this instance. :thinking:

Still doesn’t answer the question of why bms potentially doesn’t have feature to protect battery from over discharge by completely disabling itself. Do I sound stupid for expecting a product that is built safely and won’t kill pretty much most expensive part of a device without me having to baby sit it every 3 weeks? :thinking: :crazy_face:

In past yes, with limited results (mostly a loss of 50% of capacity), in the end if the cell is damaged it posses risk which I am not willing to take. I know some people do it with no problems but I’m not into that.

In the end, I am not expecting or want refunds, I don’t want anyone anyone to pay damages. I have written it off as expenses for doing things DIY. Only thing I want is for this to be figured out, noted and ether instructions in github updated (that no you can’t leave bms for more than a month connected to power, or it has to be after loopkey), or if there is bug for it to be fixed so that no one else has to endure this.

4 Likes

Idk, you have to ask Simo for that. :smiley:

I heard some funky stories about that pin, not sure what that was though. :laughing:

Damn, thats a harsh cut.

I cant find this anywhere, github shows FW .18
is the latest

2 Likes

I recently updated my Flexi to 0.19 and found that it doesn’t work with the Metr and potentially has a bug.
I found that every time I restart the firmware through the console, the flexi doesn’t boot up properly and requires a hard restart.
In the metr app, communication works. I am able to read setting, but receiving cell voltage and data about the battery doesn’t work. I enabled the CAN status and can messages were being transferred but still nothing on the Metr.

I then downgraded the Flexi to 0.18 and everything worked just fine.

Flexi Config

Closing my case on this, sold my flexi and built a new battery with LLT for now. @SimosMCmuffin No hard feeling and I hoping you will return to continue this project in future! :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe it’ll help someone with debugging or something, but I have had a FlexiBMS plugged up to a pack for six months or so without charging. Battery voltage hasn’t really changed. It’s not connected to anything else (eg; VESC), literally just been sitting in a box. Never enabled wake on CAN.

2 Likes