FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

I had a student from from Slovenia contact me about getting a copy of the schematics for the FlexiBMS Lite. I stated that I have no problem sharing the schematics for personal/academic use, but prohibit any other use or sharing.

Hi,

By replying to this email with your real name, real address, work title and a statement of your planned use/application for the files, you agree to only use the provided files for personal/academic purposes and not for any commercial, military or aerospace use, without contacting me first.

You agree that if you violate these terms, that you can be held liable for contract violations, monetary damages and illegal spreading of intellectual property.

These files will be provided **AS IS** and you'll be held liable and responsible for any injuries or damage caused by your own use of them in your application. (aka, don't come crying to me if you manage to burn down your house).

If you’re interested in getting a copy of the schematics for personal/academic use then you can contact me at simo.sihvonen@gmail.com

He’s gotten his first boards assembled and reported that they are working.

14 Likes

First try :ok_hand:

Feeling like a pro hacker now :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Does CanH on the BMS hook up to CanH on the vesc and so on? Or is it CanH - > CanL?
I don’t get any BMS data in the vesc tool…

1 Like

H to H, L to L

3 Likes

You may need to connect the opto enable to wake up the BMS. That’s what solved my problem.

It wants +5v from the vesc to wake up right?

My BMS is running FW 0.17 and my Vesc is running FW 5.2. I have +5v connected to the Opto Enable, GND and the Can wires.
I have $36=1 but get no flashes when the Vesc is turned on.

I don’t think it flashes when turned on via the esc? It will flash when you first connect the bms to the pack before connecting the balance leads though.

AFAIK, the Flexi CAN communication protocol is not compatible with the VESC Tool, so this is to be expected.

You should see the BMS data on your DAVEGA though.

4 Likes

I just had to flash the Davega with the newest firmware and now everything is working :smiley: The BMS is now flashing and I get cell readings on the screen :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Is there a reason why the CAN pins differ on lots of devices?
Like Vesc has the middle two pins and the Flexi has them on the right and middle?

Next question about $12:
Does it mean it starts balancing only if charger is connected and cells drift more than 10mV standard or auto balance if charger is not connected?
If charger is connected does it mean it charges like usual, while balancing starts earlier as the cells are more than 10mV away from each other? Or does it not charge, balance first and then keeps charging?
If it´s like the last point, i guess there are lots of chargers which stops charging as the current gets limited

Copped from the GitHub

$12 cellDiffVolt

Max allowed difference between lowest and highest cell, aka. if set to 10(mV) then BMS will balance the pack trying to bring all the cells within 10mV between the lowest and the highest cell, 0-5000 (mV) [uint] {10}

Basikly will bleed that cell if there’s any other cell with 10mv less

$17 alwaysBalancing
Allows cell balancing to occur outside charging situation

$11 cellBalVolt Allow balancing a cell once it’s voltage goes above this,

There are very few chargeres out there thay do this none that I know of used in esk8

It’s normal or a bulk chargers the hole pack and then to balance you bleed (apply a load) to any p group that has a higher voltage than the lowest p group untill with in a allowable variation in this case you said 10mV

ALL li-ion chargers should stop when the current drops below a threshold or as @Battery_Mooch says there a PSU not a charger no matter what the label says

Li-ion battery’s should never be held at there max charge voltage on a trickle charge. It’s bad for the battery and can cause fires

1 Like

Yah i saw that, but like always @SimosMCmuffin? If charger is connected and also not connected. That was my basic question, sorry for the confusion

Keep reading

As you called it “if chargers is not connected”

Hey @SimosMCmuffin how’s the video setup guide going? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think we´re still not on the same thing here.

I know and understand all other settings like $17 you linked. But question is what exactly happens if you just don´t set up auto balancing or other settings but cells hit the level you setup at $12.