FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

Hey @SimosMCmuffin !
Quick clarification if I may about the options, pardon if it was already mentioned.

“Pack” means the female side is included as well? I’m talking mostly about the balance connector. Do we need to go purchase the corresponding female connectors? :smiley:

If they are supplied, do they come with precrimped wires installed? I doubt it, but hey, that would mega awesome hehe :grin:

Cheers!

4 Likes

Yes you get male and female connectors

No you need to provide your own crimp tool and cable

2 Likes

Should you precrimped balance wires one by one in the plug?

1 Like

what’s the most common connector setup for balance, can and io?

Can bus. most VESC are PH so makes common sense to use the same connected in the other end of the cable

I/O well if you use ph for can bus might as well use ph for I/O

Balance most BMS on the market use ph or xh so I stuck with that also keeps them with in the same family.

USB horizontal if you intend to place it on top of you battery. Vertical if you place it by the side

1 Like

Yea but they vary from time to time when you place the order, I know daly is always the same but bestech is almost all the time different, even the vescs vary from maker to maker which is kinda stupid…

There is a much higher percentage use ph I think maker x uses a strange one but a vast majority use ph

Trampa
Unity
Stormcore
Flipskie
TB

All use ph (trying to think of other common company’s)

BMS varie a bit more even within the same model buy one a year later and bestech changes the connected again

2 Likes

I’ll add a picture to show the connector packs and what they contain. They will contain, PCB side vertical and horizontal headers, cable-side housing and crimps with a couple extra ones.

I will be adding a 26-wire ribbon cable (3M cable, 26 AWG) to the store before it opens officially, so you can also get the balance wires with the same order. I will probably also offer all the connectors also as a separate products and corresponding crimps, in case you want to be more specific with them.

Balance connector is usually JST XH-series, as it’s the same that is used on Li-Po packs, connector pitch on the PCB is 2.5 mm. CAN and I/O are using JST PH-series as the intended connectors and they use 2.0 mm pitch on the PCB.

I sent request for quotes to a couple different Finnish PCB and assembly houses for batches of 100, 250 and 500.

4 Likes

Personally I like to use silicon cable over pvc ribion but I think that’s me been ott.

Other thing that would be nice to add th the store over time.
fuse for the balance leads.
Fish paper and rings
Kept ion tape
Temp Sensor suitable to the BMS
Nickle strips
Heat shrink
2pin ph header/plug for the temp sensor for freaks like me who added one to the pcb

2 Likes

Do you have a part number for what you’re using?

I just ebayed red and black silicon stranded think I use AWG 24. I fined silicon cable holds up to heat and been crushed better not as good agains puntcher or abrasion but that’s shouldn’t be happening in a batery pack

2 Likes

Coming back after a while to the project, have we got yet the function where any low cell will warn the ESC via CAN and safely shut down or throttle down?

2 Likes

This really seems like the end game setup to have for diy.

All the necessary hardware is there, just a matter of coding.

1 Like

No not yet I think from what I can rember the issue is the VESC needs to accept the command. I was hoping the BMS could inject a batery cut of end command triggering the VESC to stop acceleration but still alow brakes

When the VESC BMS gets released we can add the VESC BMS communication support, so either the BMS can send cell voltage info to the ESC or the ESC can poll the cell voltage info.

7 Likes

Thanks for reply.
Shame :confused:
VESC BMS is your another project?

Are thay suppose to be in stock have you opened your store?

4 Likes

No, because you can’t proceed to checkout.

2 Likes

Update.

I have now the payment processor signed up (they called me and we did some negotiation) and I am in the process of setting it up for the checkout process. I will be doing my own test payments first through it and then asking couple dudes from the forum to do the first real orders (do not PM me for this), so I can check that everything is working correctly.

If everything goes fine, the shop will open next week with credit & debit card payment option, with Paypal to follow at some point.

12 Likes

great! i suppose it wasn’t ready but when I tried to enter a country for the address it didn’t allow me to pick any.