FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

Will only UN cert it. UL is to expensive to cert. But its made to pass it

8 Likes

So 44km 1000w pack ish. You lot are insanity my legs couldn’t take that Much punishment

1 Like

I’m planning on building a 4,5kWh pack this summer and going roadtripping with it… 400+ cells.
Should be good for at least 250 km

5 Likes

What cells will you use? 50E or what?

At the moment I’m looking more towards 35Es (my current pack is 10S6P of 35Es), as they’ll fit nicely into the parallel and series groups in the available space. I did look also at the 50Es, but the terminal nickel job is essentially going to be irregular then, if I want to use the space efficiently cell wise.

3 Likes

On an esk8?!?!

1 Like

yikes, going to be a small tower in between your legs lool?!?!? i though i was crazy for trying to do a 40 mile commute to work on my board. looool

1 Like

I wouldn’t do a 40 mile commute in my CAR lol. You most certainly are crazy. I respect that kind of insanity though :+1:

8 Likes

I do. park a mile out for free parking then use my board the rest of the way saves £5 a day takes just over a year to cover the cost of a board (not including repairs or upgrades)

In theory I can build a new board every 2 years (on my 3rd build with in 2 years I blame you lot for the I candy and making me want thing)

7 Likes

So here’s the plan in the method for the madness. Below you see my old pack, new pack enclosure and one of my old unused decks with it’s pack that I will be recovering the cells from this weekend (not necessarily for this new pack build).

My current pack is a 60 cell 10S6P of 35Es.

Here’s some 2D-CAD drawings that I made to figure out how many cells I can get into the new box. The bottom picture shows 18650 cells in a nice 6 identical sets of 36 parallel cells each. Above picture is for 21700 cells and it doesn’t really divide nicely into series and parallels.

Now you might wonder: “6 sets of 36 cells is just 216 cells? You were talking about over 400 cells”. Ah you see, you can fit 2 of these 216 packs in the vertical direction in the new pack. So I can make 2 identical 6S36P packs and then series them up to 12S36P for 432 cells :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

The new pack’s gonna be a bit chunky on the board, but it should fit between my legs without it interfering though. I then also use the top of it to tie down some cargo.

With the range now available, I can then plan my route towards my destination and stop at camping sites for tent spots or car spots (gonna carry a tent and a sleeping bag with me) and charge up the pack there and continue the journey from there :blush::sunglasses:

13 Likes

Wow, is the board still rideable with that huge thing? Wouldn’t you be better off with a trolley?

2 Likes

A battery trolley?

1 Like

Just to note.

I had already thought of making a battery trailer…

2 Likes

Haha, that’s insane!

You can find a cushion to fit on the box and ride sitting down. Side saddle if you like :joy:

6 Likes

… which does make sense to me given the size of the battery pack. I was actually seriously asking.

5 Likes

I never understood how do you guys connect this to a BMS.
If this is using can, is it not doable on single ESCs that uses can to transfer dual data?

What’s “this”?

1 Like

He means the bms to the esc via can… I think

Oh, he’s asking how to CAN-connect the BMS to two VESCs that are already connected together via CAN. Right?

You just split the cables and on all three devices connect the same pins, i.e.

• GND-GND-GND
  • HI-HI-HI
  • LO-LO-LO
5 Likes

Will that wiring work if one is using canbus in a dual setup? I.e. master and slave?