FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

Ok. Soldering should not be a problem. Is the JST-XH balance pre-crimped? (Or do you have pre-crimped supply? Just a suggestion, you need a FAQ section. :smiley: )

Connectors are provided as are shown in the pictures. aka separate.

Yes, maybe using these 3-pin RGB led? Is that possibile somehow?

1 Like

Update

So, I have now officially left my workplace and started my life/job as a full-time entrepreneur.

I look forward to working with you guys&gals.

There currently a number of things I need to get in order and here are some of them:

1. FlexiBMS Lite FW repo license.
    I was contacted some time ago by who I suspect is a forum user and they informed me that there isn’t any license attached to the repo and what my plans were. They also mentioned that the ST’s USB-stack, which is currently used for the COM-port (CDC-class) connection to a PC, is not compatible with an open-source license, but that there are open-source options available, which could be ported over to replace the ST’s USB-stack, which they also offered to help with. They also commented that, as the project contained files from VESC’s repo, it would have to be placed under GPLv3, the same license as VESC.
    I informed that I want and intend the FW to be open-source and I was very thankful about hearing about the licensing from someone who was more knowledgeable about them. I also informed that I wouldn’t have a problem placing my source files under the GPLv3 license, like the VESC FW files. I’m, looking towards working with him/her/you (in case you’re reading this) and offered them a discount on the Lite-unit, if they would be able to help with porting the open-source USB-stack. I think they have been planning to use for one of their own battery pack projects, checked the repo out and then informed me about the license issue, which I’m thankful for. We’ll go on from here.
  2. Shipping
    I’m looking to add DHL as a shipping option and I’m currently looking into the workflow through them. Local post hasn’t been terrible, but there seems to be a problem with a shipment every now and then and quite frankly, if I pay someone to ship something, I expect that item to be delivered, as it otherwise causes me some headache when a customer messages me asking about where their package is. At this point, if I don’t get a reply from the post office about the shipment in a timely manner, I’ll send a new one. If both units arrive at some point, I can offer a discount on the second one, in case you want to pay for it, which I would appreciate.
  3. Paypal
    Unfortunately paying with a credit/debit card via Paytrail doesn’t seem work for everybody, so to add another payment method, which is internationally used, should allow everyone to make their payments. They do have slightly higher fees than Paytrail, so there will be a +2% fee added when paying via Paypal.

Product developments
As I’m now full-time independent, I’m looking to widen my product portfolio and pick-up old projects that have been sitting on a shelf waiting for me to have time to pick them back up.

• Panelization test boards for the FlexiBMS Lite (for future batch runs)
  • “FlexiBMS Lite 18S” (name likely final) prototype board (6S-18S Lite variant)
  • USB PD negotiator/negotiation development board (learn/analyze the USB PD -protocol, future application for portable device charging)
  • Lower cost BMS, with a simpler feature set meant for portable devices (bluetooth-speakers, powerbanks etc.)
  • Class D audio amp board with configurable DSP chip on-board for portable speakers.
  • Maybe some bluetooth test boards for audio use and to learn RF design
27 Likes

Love that! :hugs:

:open_mouth: Assuming it’s similar in size to the current 12s version, I NEED that :smiley:

4 Likes

Just a heads up, it seems like PayPal doesn’t allow you to surcharge your customers for using it as a payment method.

5 Likes

Congratulations Simo! looking forward to all your development work!

2 Likes

Yeah the easiest solution is making it cost a little bit more

1 Like

That’s easy, just raise prices and offer a discount for not using PayPal / ServiceName

6 Likes

Right. That’s what I did. The problem is that all prices then look more expensive than they actually are (if you don’t use PayPal). That kinda sucks since most people don’t decide about purchasing rationally. For some, $99.99 may be an acceptable price while $100 would be too expensive.

9 Likes

Nice one! We are going to need about 10 more Flexi BMS for an upcoming project soon - i´ll let you know in a few weeks :wink:

It’s gonna get longer, as I need to fit 6 more balance/bleed circuits + depending on if I need to go parallel mosfets for the (at least) 10 Amp charging current capability, as the higher voltage mosfets are usually higher Rds(on) in the same package size. It might also slightly widen to accommodate the square form-factor battery stack monitor IC (LTC6813), unless I do some tricks with the connector layout. Most likely I’ll be able to fit a dedicated connector to the NTC-temperature sensor with the added length.
Otherwise I want to keep it HW feature wise pretty close to the Lite (maybe re-name it to “FlexiBMS Lite 12S” for clarity/distinction between the two designs) apart from supporting up to 18S packs, so the FW stays easily compatible between them and not to divide/fraction the FW development.

That’s what I thought of as well.

Cheers.

7 Likes

personally i would prefer paying 99$ + a 5$ discount then just 94$ it feels good getting a discount

1 Like

:pray: 20 or 24s please!

1 Like

Awesome :+1:
That’s the only reason why I didn’t bought FlexiBMS - no PayPal
Btw, I’ve sent you an email but got no answer (if a regular bank transfer is possible instead of MasterCard/Visa credit cards)

My unit is finally here. Can’t wait to try it! *but I have to because of lot of stuff to study*

7 Likes

Hello, I integrated the FlexiBMS Lite in my e-skate. It seems to work fine as far as the LED and serial communication functions. (wiring)

Now, I’ve also a Metr Pro installed and I was expecting to check the single cells voltage and others parameters as real time charging data. Is it possibile?

For reference, this type of integration:

How do i get my hands on one of these? (12s)

https://finnkotronics.mycashflow.fi/product/1/flexibms-lite

Links a bit hidden in so many posts @filipandre

4 Likes

@SimosMCmuffin you should add your website link in your Bio :blush:

9 Likes