FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

It would first need to be decided how the battery percentage should be measured and how it’s configured. There is already a method in the CAN-library for reading the cell voltages, so I would imagine it’s more how the cell voltages should be interpreted in Metr.

This might be a better question for @rpasichnyk in the Metr thread.

4 Likes

Shouldn’t BMS be responsible for this kind of information? (State of charge)

Suggestion:

1. Guesstimate current battery % based on V (ideally start charging from zero %)
  2. During charge, map % to V based on incoming mAh.

Report % based on V and calculated mapping during ride.

3 Likes

Is the confusion because the DieBieMS has it’s own microcontroller for pack voltage and current. Is @SimosMCmuffin suggesting the metr should calculate the pack% off the cell data. @rpasichnyk suggesting the flexi should do the calculation and report a pack total

From Github

• ISL28022 -> Pack voltage and current measurement.

Yes, Because the Lite can’t measure discharge current, it can’t report discharged capacity, but only cell voltages. The Metr app already has the battery % indicator which I believe is based on the battery menu in the settings. 10S Li-Ion = 42V (100%) - 28V (0%) roughly. This is a guess how it’s done, @rpasichnyk hope you can clarify the logic behind it, so if a Lite is found, get cell voltages, calculate them together and use that for the battery voltage and then map that to the battery % indicator.

1 Like

You can open Settings -> Battery and select Li-Ion instead of Flexi

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 14.17.15

This way you should still see cells when charging, but battery % is calculated based on VESC input voltage.

4 Likes

I received the product. Astonishing compact size for 12s BMS.
The BMS next to it is D124. 10s BMS.
After playing with Hterm for a while, I install it in the battery I’m working on.

15 Likes

That’s pretty awesome. Compared to the LTT smart BMS which are larger than the size of both of those combined lol

2 Likes

I’ve soldered 10awg.

1 Like

I tried to connect Flexi BMS.
When Unity is started by the wakeup function, you can see the cell balance in Metr.
This is a great feature!
Is the red LED lighting by wakeup normal?

4 Likes

Sometimes during power-up some fault flags related to charging might come active, but should get reset once charging is attempted.

3 Likes

Little update on the rest of the 100 board batch, I have finished assembling the top sides of all boards and will start assembling the bottom sides this week.

Board bottom sides assembled by day this week was:

• Monday: 1
  • Tuesday: 11
  • Wednesday: 36
  • Thudsday: 31

The automatic feeders are working great after sorting a couple initial hicups.

34 Likes

Are first completed boards reserved for us who didn’t make it in the first 25pcs or we should fill up the form again once you make it?

Wow that’s super cool

I’m planning on selling the rest of the batch through my webshop, but I can probably email the form fillers who didn’t make it to the initial 25 boards a link to the store page first ahead of posting a public link, so if they want, they can get their orders in first.

5 Likes

Is it implied that the webshop would be available to US Customers at that point as well?

2 Likes

Great. Please do so.

Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t see any reason at the moment why it wouldn’t be available for outside EU-buyers as well.

5 Likes

I put VTC6, 12s6p in the LY Switchblade 40 deck.
I made a simple enclosure with a 3D printer.
Flexi BMS contributes to space saving especially with a single stack battery.
It’s just amazing.

5 Likes

Started assembling bottom sides of boards, but after 24 units (16 yesterday, 8 today), ran out of a particular resistor, so I’ll be taking an inventory today and ordering any low or missing components and getting this build finished this week.

5 Likes

Esk8 using Flexi BMS is completed.
Sony Murata VTC6・12s6p 777.6Wh.
4.152V when fully charged is probably due to the $ 9 default parameter [unit 4180]
But I just use that setting.
There was no problem with charging and running. It is a good BMS that expands the possibilities of esk8 build.

15 Likes