First time Build - Started today with my core

Haha okay sweet! Thanks so much for your help brother, I appreciate the feedback and pointers!

4 Likes

Have you weighed it yet? Curious to see how much it weighs in total.

How many welds onto the actual battery themselves?

Surprised you covered up that resin looking deck.

Not yet, she’s a beast that’s for sure. I’ll weigh it when I’m done putting stuff on it.

Each cell has 6 welds on the Anode and 8 on the Cathode to a .15mm x 7mm nickel plated steel band. Then on top of that is .2mm x 40mm pure nickel with 28 welds, then .2mm x 40mm pure copper with 32 welds

I didn’t really care about the look of the epoxy. Figured my newbie ass could prolly use all the grip tape I could muster so I just covered er up. The epoxy was more of a let’s see if it will work cause it’s easier than making a form to do plywood haha

Laser cut grip tape with some LED’s to light the epoxy would be a cool look

2 Likes

Funny that you mention that because originally I was going to embed LED lights into the epoxy and use my laser cutter for the grip tape pattern. I figured since this is my first foray into the world and I went a path most people don’t with the epoxy that I should focus on function first and then when I learn more I can remake the board and incorporate the changes then.

1 Like

Try pushing the board and seeing if you can turn. The angled risers the flipsky trucks come with wasn’t enough on a set I had(only turned the slightest bit). If it’s not enough, I’ve got an angled metal riser that wedges more then the rubber one flipsky comes with I can let go of cheap. The back truck doesn’t need to turn and will actually be more stable at speed but that’s a preference on how much turnability vs stability you want.

That being said, those flipsky trucks and tires(while priced low) really aren’t the best. The kingpin bolt I believe has snapped for a few people and they don’t have the best feel. The tires and hubs definitely need a lot more work then most others to be balanced. They’re okay when they are. If you decide you want to upgrade, mbs has some of the lower priced (but still quality) tires, hubs, and channel trucks. Unless you decide to go a different route and want a more traditional truck/wheel setup.

Thanks! Yeah I figured for my first attempt that the bargain bin was mostly acceptable as I don’t have the knowledge to know better about WHY they aren’t good yet. That combined with me just deciding on a whim to take this up in my 40’s (The boards name is gonna be “HipBreaker”) and not knowing if I am going to be all in yet haha. But from my experience in just the build so far I think I’m going to stick with it so upgrades are most likely gonna happen quick haha. I’m already designing a new deck to fix the issues I don’t like and the processes to make it. I’m also thinking about a new battery architecture and an attachment to give me an optional old man handle until I learn to ride well enough.

1 Like

Well I installed the first version of the electronics enclosure. Still need to tidy up a bit and add additional space for lighting controls when I add those on. As far as the software goes I’ve been able to successfully transmit canbus data so now I’m working on the best integration for that, I’m toying with the idea of making an app on my Apple Watch that will display what I want and also vibrate for certain alarm parameters like temp or current. But for now that’s way in the future, if even possible.

1 Like