First time Build - Started today with my core

So today marks the beginning of my very first build. I am sure there are a lot of trials and tribulations to come but I’m excited to get this thing going.

Today was the form creation for my core as well as pouring the core out of 2 part high strength epoxy. Once this cures I’ll sand and prep and then attach and shape my custom battery enclosure. Then it all will get 2 layers of glass and 2 layers of blue carbon fiber. Then I’ll start making the 12s8p battery.

I’m a newb but pretty experienced in all manners of building / tinkering so y’all don’t hesitate to jump in and tell me if I’m being dumb haha. Processing: IMG_2821.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_2820.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_2819.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_2815.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_2813.jpeg…

6 Likes

Wait until the images finish uploading before clicking post

Gotcha, thought they would load / post when done. I’ll try again. Thanks

10 Likes

Alright, I’m invested.

4 Likes

Holy fuck that’s gonna be heavy… and flat :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah it’s gonna have some heft haha. Quite a bit of what you see will be sanded down and then I’ll mate my enclosure to it once I get it leveled and clean.

I actually wanted a flat board, I bought a drop down deck and wasn’t happy with how it felt under my feet with the curves etc plus my battery I’m making I wanted it to be under mount so I figured I’d just make my own instead and see how it goes. Worst case scenario I switch to a pre made board and learn a valuable lesson haha.

3 Likes

Thanks man! I’ll keep posting pics and such. Right now I’m working out how best to make my battery packs so I can start making that up while I wait for this thing to cure for the next few days before I start the wrap.

2 Likes

Resin core is different tho, any reason you didn’t use something like plywood?

1 Like

Partially to see what it would do, partially to increase rigidity in the board itself. I wanted to minimize flex in the board and have all my “give” in the tires and or suspension.

Originally I had an idea to embed LED lights in the core and leave masked areas to expose a design or something to light up but figured before I tried something that challenging design wise I should see if this method is even feasible.

1 Like

The core material doesn’t really do a lot in terms of the strength/stiffness. Its the outer laminations that count

6 Likes

A concave deck will be more rigid than a flat deck also. If you’re into science maybe a mould and deeper concave shape could be the way. Overall thicker structure made from a thinner (lighter) layer

1 Like

Hmm, sounds like my logic has a flaw in it. Almost sounds like I would have been better off with just more layering of glass and or carbon fiber?

1 Like

Core layers still have a role and providing resistance to shear loads is important. Good connection between top and bottom laminations, blah blah blah. you’re straight in the deep end, it’s awesome

4 Likes

No, a core is good, but the material choice of the core should be something as light as possible.

The majority of the unibody decks on the market are a carbon/glass outer and foam core

1 Like

I was trying to avoid any concave shape, I don’t like the way it feels (maybe cause I was a snowboarder back in the day). Originally I was going to make a mould and layer plywood but ended up going this route thinking (wrongly it sounds like) that the core has more to do with overall rigidity. Good points man, thanks!

2 Likes

Stiffness is better added with design, by trying to add vertical(ish) features to your outer layers, you will start to increase stiffness dramatically

1 Like

Haha that’s me in a nutshell. Diving right in. Lol

2 Likes

Check out my frankendick build. That one ended up stiffer than @rosco on a Sunday morning

3 Likes

Welcome!
Soric core cf deck I made (and haven’t built out yet :joy:)

2 Likes