First time Build - Started today with my core

Core layers still have a role and providing resistance to shear loads is important. Good connection between top and bottom laminations, blah blah blah. you’re straight in the deep end, it’s awesome

4 Likes

No, a core is good, but the material choice of the core should be something as light as possible.

The majority of the unibody decks on the market are a carbon/glass outer and foam core

1 Like

I was trying to avoid any concave shape, I don’t like the way it feels (maybe cause I was a snowboarder back in the day). Originally I was going to make a mould and layer plywood but ended up going this route thinking (wrongly it sounds like) that the core has more to do with overall rigidity. Good points man, thanks!

2 Likes

Stiffness is better added with design, by trying to add vertical(ish) features to your outer layers, you will start to increase stiffness dramatically

1 Like

Haha that’s me in a nutshell. Diving right in. Lol

2 Likes

Check out my frankendick build. That one ended up stiffer than @rosco on a Sunday morning

3 Likes

Welcome!
Soric core cf deck I made (and haven’t built out yet :joy:)

2 Likes

Looks sweet! Lotta weight for sure, impact resistance may be iffy. If you make sure to use peel ply on the top surface I think you’ll have an easier time making sure the glass is smooth and clear enough to see the marbled epoxy underneath :+1:

1 Like

Could you add some ribs on the underside that run the length of the board?

Here is an ABS cell holder I made for my battery pack. Will be a 12S8P, 16AH, capable of 240 amps of current though it will never see it with the esk8. But the idea was future proofing when building and I’d like my battery to be able to handle something more if I want it to so it’s extremely overbuilt.

Also the mock up to test fit my pack layout. Gonna need to squeeze a little more room out of my enclosure I think by the time I add the protective covers etc haha.

1 Like

For strength? I’m thinking my enclosure design will achieve added strength, or is there something else you were thinking that would be good for?

Also for others reading this, sorry I dipped in the middle of the post conversation yesterday. I apparently reached my reply limit for my first day so couldn’t respond to y’all’s suggestion / guidance anymore.

[quote=“Sub-Chief, post:26, topic:78859”]
For strength
To add stiffness but on second thoughts you should be able to achieve that with the enclosure

1 Like

Okay so today the core was taken out of the form. The pour turned out really nice only one little bubble. Sanding began and I’m going to shape it up by softening the edges and putting a little concave (as was recommended to me by y’all). I also completed the enclosure design and began making it out of Polycarbonate - Carbon Fiber. My battery spot welder was woefully insufficient for my .2mm pure nickel sheets so I ordered a new 12kw one and am waiting on it to show up to work on the battery more.

I have 2 BMS options. Maxkgo 200a I have in hand and I have a Daly smart / BT on order but it’s taking forever to ship.

9 Likes

Okay, today I’ve been continuing to sand and shape the deck. I have the spot welding done for one side of my battery (except my BMS tabs) and then I’ll be ready to add tape, insulation, etc.

The battery has a theoretical discharge capacity of 240 amps so it took a bit of figuring out how best to do it. (I know it will never see that discharge on my esk8 but I wanted to future proof an expensive battery in case I want to use it somewhere else later). So it’s .15mm nickel x 7mm lattice on the cells themselves to build up to level with my cell holders. Then .2mm nickel x 40mm on top of each P pack and .2mm pure copper sandwiched for the series connections. Surprisingly the new spot welder I bought was able to spot weld .2 pure nickel too .2 pure copper which was a pleasant surprise cause I really didn’t want to solder wire for my series connections.

2 Likes

I got the first layer of CF down. I should have gotten it more wet on the edges so I’ll have to clean that up but otherwise I am pretty happy with how it turned out. It’s still pretty flexible too which is nice because I know some people had mentioned it would be way to unforgiving so that’s a happy surprise.

7 Likes

Alright I’m almost done with the home made deck / enclosure. Today I mated the enclosure up to the deck and made a charging port on the enclosure. Gotta add some threaded inserts to the enclosure and then make a proper lid. Then it’s cleanup and make it presentable and I’ll be ready to start installing my electronics! I suspended the board between my sawhorse and sat my fat ass up there and it didn’t snap so that’s a good start haha. Little bit of flex to it so that might become an issue I will have to contend with. I left about 10mm of space between the deck and battery so hopefully not!

3 Likes

That’s one beefy enclosure! How tall is it? Are you concerned about ground clearance?

1 Like

Could always just use some risers.

That’s not a riser that’s a whole ass booster seat

1 Like

Thats a whole ass tiny home :rofl::sweat_smile::rofl::sweat_smile:

1 Like