FIRST BUUILDD | Thing 1 |

i got so pissed trying to figure out how to run thes cables last night FMLLLL :innocent:

1 Like

@Skunk @ZachTetra Not gonna lie these suckers are sitting pretty nicely with 275mm beltsā€¦

2 Likes

Noice. Bulk up the protection on those wires and just keep an eye on them in general. You should be good.

1 Like

yeah man thanks to that wire guard u sent me Iā€™m gonna wrap those nuggets up rn

1 Like

Alright, the cable shit is coming along! After the 5th run to the surplus store in the last week I found this dope (copper?) mesh/wire guard for $0.60/ft! I cut into little pieces and shrinked it the ends around the the motor witres. I only covered the wired down to where the bullets connect because I couldnā€™t think of a way to shrink the bullets together and get the mesh over them. So I compromised and went this route:

Its guards atleast from the motors, and thatā€™s the important part right? ALSO, I was up till 7am setting up the VESCs with Ackmaniac and got em all working! Check it out!

I know you guys do this shit in your sleep but just seeing the motors connected to my remote and spinning and shit gots this nOOb FUGGIN STOOOOOKED! :man_cartwheeling::man_cartwheeling::man_cartwheeling::cowboy_hat_face:

If you guys got any advice on whether you think I should keep the wire guards like this or cut off the shrink on the bullets and just run the guards all the way down to the VESC let me know, because the way they are right now they actually donā€™t guard from the motors all the way, as you can see. They do guard from the top portion where they bend around the top though. One of the bullets has a sort of loose connection so Iā€™m nervous about not shrinking that one specifically. Any thoughts?

Also, itā€™s just the one motor thatā€™s got the guards ATM, other one is naked obv.

2 Likes

Some wire sheaths can be squished lengthways so you can get bullets wrapped then stretch the sheath over them, look for ones with diagonal mesh

1 Like

I usually do the wire guards last. Get it all running. Seal the phase wires together. Then put the guards on and seal with double layer heatshrink.
At least thatā€™s my goal on my current build.

1 Like

Tonightā€™s project: Foam City

Not sure if this is what you had in my @Dareno :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

The principle is sound. Matters not what the inside of the enclosure looks like as long as the principle is sound.

1 Like

it aint pretty but I think itā€™ll be sound

Be sure to secure that canbus cable and receiver into its plug.
Things can vibrate apart. Even the xt90.

1 Like

hell yeah, how do you usually secure those? Iā€™m not gonna lie this enclosure job is fucking horrendous and is still causing the enclosure to stick out just as much as the previous foam job I had but itā€™ll be fine until psychotiller enclosure arrives.

Proper silicone, some use hot glue, ive seen zip ties, heatshrink

I do have some zip ties securing the them to the VESC cables, is this sufficient or no?

Zipties are good as long as they are tied to something secureā€¦Iā€™d say put some squishy foam in there to hold everything still

I mean something holding where things are plugged together.
Canbus cables can separate. The xt90 can slowly blackout from vibrations. As can the plug into the receiver.
If any of these 3 things become unplugged during a ride youā€™re not gonna be happy.

I donā€™t have any good examples atm.

@b264 help? Need pics. I know you got them.

1 Like

ohh I think I know what you mean. I should cover the actual connection itself? I have clear silicone this is safe? can I unplug it later and salvage the vesc and CANbus connection for when I swap enclosures if I do this?

Depends on the silicone. I never do it lol. But i know i should.

I might just go electrical tape for now

Okay what happened

1 Like