First Build | Schroedinger's Phoenix | crappy everything

Thanks for sharing! How many amps were you pulling per battery holder?

This is my favorite kind of build thread

6 Likes

10S3P 60AMP constant capable - battery 20R I think it was years ago. Max at vesc was 40. Its rebuilt with spotwelds in a 32" traditional skateboard. Single motor.

1 Like

Thank you! OK, in that case I should be safe, as I also have a 10s3p, but this vesc can handle only like 18A if I am not mistaking. Time will tell.

Changed to some old 90mm ownboard & Enertion wheels.

Some small progress: Battery wiring complete

3 Likes

Got to borrow a cheap spotwelder and decided to scratch the cellholder approach. Boy, the spotwelder is hard to use, had a lot to learn, and still do. I see this as an exercise, rather than a masterpiece.

I appreciate feedback on how I can improve my battery build for the next time!

So, here are the spotwelded cells (10s2p) (I added some fishpaper later under the positive terminals where I forgot to add it):

And here, putting it together with fishpaper, hotglue, Kaptan and double sided adhesive tape:

2 Likes

And a final touch of heatshrink (could have been more generous, though):

1 Like

You probably won’t die but those welds are a bit harsh, rings help a lot and you’ve removed some shrink in your frenzy haha.

4/10, it’ll work.

5 Likes

Actually, I am certain that I will die. Hopefully not due to this though.

Not sure if I get what you’re referring to.

:heart_eyes: That’s what I was going for.

1 Like

Got all the wiring done.
All works.
Charging up now.
Added a loopkey.
Added 5A fuse for chargeport.
Fitted an alloy plate instead of Plexi.
Thermal-glued ESC onto it.
Added voltmeter and power button.
Splashproofed all.

3 Likes

Open points:

Next:

• Fit enclosure to board curvature
  • drill into board for enclosure screws
3 Likes

If you wonder, why I reversed the ESC: Power button cable was not long enough, but I wanted it on same side as voltmeter, loopkey and chargeport.

You want to be careful with routing those phase wires, dont want them to vibrate against the electronic components of that esc

1 Like

Thanks, I will add another heatshrink or some abrasion-resistant tape.

1 Like

Nothing will move in here now:

Could be more beautiful.
What do other people use?
Double sided tape and quality hot glue seem to work fine for me, with some thermal glue and gorilla glue.

2 Likes

First real issue:
I had a closer look at the motors and noticed how the Circlip hat free play. Seems the stator has moved…
can I just ignore this or should I fix this?
These motors have been beaten up hard so I wonder how much sweat equity I want to put into them…

Edit: tagging our motor wizard @b264 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a similar issue. Loose Circlip and also shot bearings. I was actually shopping for replacement bearings right before this.

I haven’t tried oiling them yet as I was advised, should look to see if I have something to use.

I gotta remember to go find the 7mm Circlip at Ace

1 Like

I don’t know, man. I would buy a new one, but that’s out of an abundance of caution, and not wanting to streetface in traffic carrying my dog. It all depends on your priorities. For example, a broke college kid may opt for repair or using it as-is because the risks are lower for them and the pockets shallower

2 Likes

You can pick up motors cheap from china, like $35 each

1 Like

Be careful dude…

7 Likes