The battery builders club

I haven’t made it yet I think I have about 16-17" free space to fit in the battery and Focbox, I made the last enclosure for the 10s2p with polycarbonate, I’ll probably do the same for this 10s3p

1 Like

You can buy 25mm wide nickel from nkon. If not them, you cam buy from alibaba from this shop:

I got 4kg different dimensions pure nickel and price was awesome.

Also, I can sell you some 25x0.2mm nickel for cheap if you don’t need one kg

thanks!
I just found some 0.15 x 25mm on Ebay and in the US, we’ll see if it’s any good when it gets salt water tested.

2 Likes

That’s not pure nickle bruv…

Edit: don’t quote me on that. Just make sure you test it first.

1 Like

yeh, the odds are slim but taking a $7.99 gamble, I’m definitely going to test it first…

1 Like

Hey, I would really appreciate some feedback on my first pack, so that my next one may be better!

See post:

the welds have black marks, even holes. that’s too deep. also you need to aim steady when welding positive. If you weld on thin air you make holes. Gaskets are cheap. Consider using them.

7 Likes

Thank you for your feedback!

Yes, I quickly learned, not to weld on thin air. I was learning by doing.

Do you mean o-rings? I had some in transit while doing this and will definitely use them next time.

Regarding the black ones / too deep ones:
The spot welder that I have sometimes just does not give much of a punch at all, and sometimes it just totally overshoots. I am not sure if I am lacking skill or if it’s the machine. It’s a Sunkko 737G+.
The pen does not transfer enough amps, so I had to use the connected tips on the welder.

1 Like

ye. cardboard rings. fishpaper rings or whatever you call them are better. What you did is nice too.
Try to adjust the power of your sunkko to weld without those black marks and you are golden.

1 Like

Adjusting the power did not help - when I went lower, the welds wouldn’t hold. Those black ones would happen like every fourth time. I couldn’t make out a pattern of what caused it. I thought of the copper tips being too dirty or not enough pressure, and tried ruling those out. What might be the cause?

Does your welder have pulse settings?

Yes

How should I set them?

1 Like

It has 1P, 2P or ‘superpulse’ of 4, 6, or 8.

I use 2 pulses on mine at 85amps and it does a good job on mine. Yours seems to be a higher and model with more pulses.

Also what thickness is your nickel? That matters too.

It’s 0.2mm
Maybe it’s too thick for this one?

Maybe I have only used .15mm

1 Like

I’ve never used one. But from what I’ve read, the sunokos aren’t going to do 0.2 very reliably if at all

1 Like

Angle of the pen is some thing worth playing with. It looks as tho this is most likely as the burning is heavier on one side. Sanding tips thay look very sharp in the pic hard to tell and I also fined apply a little more pressure to one of the terminals help can’t rember if it’s the + or - that is most likely to burn but there is a Physics reason behind it.

Cleaning the battery surface and nickel with IPA you might fined that the nickel tip or battery could have a layer of some thing left on them cleaning can some times help

I also like to wiggle the pen around just befor welding push the strip in to the battery to Guarantee good connection.

Flatten the nickle if it’s bent and crumpled it doesn’t weld consistently so try to keep it flat.

Is the spot welder heating up and caps having time to recover between sets of welds.

Hopefully that will give you a idea on things to try and work out how to improve the consistency

2 Likes

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely pay close attention to these for my next battery!