First Build | Schroedinger's Phoenix | crappy everything

Actually, I am certain that I will die. Hopefully not due to this though.

Not sure if I get what you’re referring to.

:heart_eyes: That’s what I was going for.

1 Like

Got all the wiring done.
All works.
Charging up now.
Added a loopkey.
Added 5A fuse for chargeport.
Fitted an alloy plate instead of Plexi.
Thermal-glued ESC onto it.
Added voltmeter and power button.
Splashproofed all.

3 Likes

Open points:

Next:

• Fit enclosure to board curvature
  • drill into board for enclosure screws
3 Likes

If you wonder, why I reversed the ESC: Power button cable was not long enough, but I wanted it on same side as voltmeter, loopkey and chargeport.

You want to be careful with routing those phase wires, dont want them to vibrate against the electronic components of that esc

1 Like

Thanks, I will add another heatshrink or some abrasion-resistant tape.

1 Like

Nothing will move in here now:

Could be more beautiful.
What do other people use?
Double sided tape and quality hot glue seem to work fine for me, with some thermal glue and gorilla glue.

2 Likes

First real issue:
I had a closer look at the motors and noticed how the Circlip hat free play. Seems the stator has moved…
can I just ignore this or should I fix this?
These motors have been beaten up hard so I wonder how much sweat equity I want to put into them…

Edit: tagging our motor wizard @b264 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a similar issue. Loose Circlip and also shot bearings. I was actually shopping for replacement bearings right before this.

I haven’t tried oiling them yet as I was advised, should look to see if I have something to use.

I gotta remember to go find the 7mm Circlip at Ace

1 Like

I don’t know, man. I would buy a new one, but that’s out of an abundance of caution, and not wanting to streetface in traffic carrying my dog. It all depends on your priorities. For example, a broke college kid may opt for repair or using it as-is because the risks are lower for them and the pockets shallower

2 Likes

You can pick up motors cheap from china, like $35 each

1 Like

Be careful dude…

7 Likes

Thanks, I would like to try a repair, as I want to learn more about motors. I prefer ruining a cheap motor trying to repair it rather than with new ones.

I haven’t seen in all my reading anyone doing a stator adjustment. Is that too much of an operation?

Yo wtf is going on in here

4 Likes

Thank you, I brought this issue up in the battery builders club. My spotwelder will unpredictably punch a hole trough the strip. Part is due to me using the device for a first time, but sometimes it is not clear why. It never damaged the cells though. I Doubled the worst strip parts.

It’s messy, but just because few ugly or failed spots, the good spots (on the same cell) will not lose their function.
Please enlighten me if that’s wrong.

I am very thankful for tips for my next build, which I am about to start!

Dead esk8 parts having a Halloween dance party.

4 Likes

Don’t die. Carry on.

4 Likes

How are you planning on waterproofing the enclosure? Water will be an issue with that enclosure if you’re not careful

Also I see a few xt60s without their connections covered / coated, don’t forget those :+1:

1 Like

I have done my best to seal all the holes that I have cut into the enclosure.
How water resistant I can get the internals? … I am not sure if I can win that battle.
I plan on mainly keeping water out. Though just enough to not have to worry about splashes.

The enclosure will sit on a neoprene gasket that I will glue to the board.

Should I worry about waterproofing the enclosure mounting screws?

2 Likes

I like your style

4 Likes