First build, Octagon, DIY NKP 3-Link

Milled the new extensions and got the board running today! Yea! Went for about a 2 mile ride. Since this is the first time I’ve ridden since 1988 I’d call it a success. The increased clearance was nice. My son’s helmet arrived today so he’s good to go.

I think I bought the wrong charger as I read these batteries only charge at 1 Amp and my charger is a 4 Amp charger.

But I’ll probably upgrade to Molicel’s soon. I never associated battery power with braking power but now that it works I don’t mind spending more for some decent batteries. It struggled slowing my 220 pound ass down the steeper hills.

The motor mounts leveled out during the ride so I’ll need to figure that out. I’m guessing that’s from the torque put on by the belts as I couldn’t move them with my hands before the ride.

Thanks to everyone for helping on this forum. I never would have tried building this without this forum - that’s an absolute certainty!

It’s martini time! Cheers.

16 Likes

If this is the case, I’ve seen them listed at 1.25A charge rating. Let’s say 1A for safety sake since they’re reclaimed…

So since you have a 6p pack, the charge current rating is multiplied by 6. Your 5A charger should work just fine!

3 Likes

Thanks! I was wondering about that… Do I need the loop key plugged in to charge the battery? The manual says the LED 2 light will be green when the battery is fully charged and it’s green right away when plugged in. I do not have the loop key plugged in. Wired mine per @B264 wiring diagram.

My BMS says it’s charging but the values haven’t changed in 20 minutes???

3 Likes

Is the light on the charger itself green or red?

1 Like

LED 1 is red - per the manual (on Amazon) this is power on
LED 2 is green - per the manual it should be red while charging and green when fully charged.

The batteries are about 3.7 V on average so definitely not fully charged…

The loop key is not plugged in. Unfortunatly, been an hour an none of the voltages have changed on the BMS readings…

Plug in the loopkey and see if it charges.

Or send photographs of the wiring if you want someone to doublecheck it.

If wired correctly though, the loopkey should not need to be plugged in for it to charge.

Is it wired this way?

2 Likes

That’s what I followed… I don’t have any lights yet so nothing on P-… Plugging in the loop key didn’t change anything.

Perhaps a way to check with a volt meter? It’s 9 PM here. so I may take it apart tomorrow :grinning:

You should tra to check the balance leeds, if one of the balance wire isn’t properly connected,
it’s most likely that the bms wont allow you to charge the battery

With a voltmetre just check that you got arround the same voltage between each pins of the jst connector

1 Like

I checked connectivity and the following checked out:

1. between B- and the battery negative
  2. C- to the charging negative on the 5.5 * 2.1 connector.
  3. positive pin on the 5.5 * 2.1 has connectivity to both the battery + and battery -

I checked the BMS connections. The negative wire to negative out of the battery is 0, each successive wire increases about 4 ish volts up to 48. It’s a little less since the battery has drained some.

The LED 2 light is green (hard to see in the sun) which indicates it’s completely charged.

I’m unsure what I’m missing?

2 Likes

You have up to 0.2v of diference between cells, i’m pretry sure the bms doesn’t let you charge with such a huge gap
You should have no more than 0.05 difference,
Where dis you get that battery from ?

2 Likes

I made the battery. I used a LiitoKala Engineer Lii-500 to Nortest all of the batteries but they laid dormant for 3 months while I made the build.

Take it apart and charge them again with the LiitoKala?

1 Like

What cells are they and how do you plan to take them appart ?

I’d suggest to try charging each Pgroup one by one , very slowly using the balance wires and your litokala charger,
None of the cells seems to have reached a critical level, but i don’t think such a discharge is normal even for three months,

Edit : if you do that, take your time, use low amps charging, and don’t let the battery unatended, you don’t want a lipo fire

1 Like

I used a slightly modified version of the @winfly modular solderless holder for the batteries.

The batteries are Panasonic NCR18650BD and recommend to charge at 1 Amp. Since I have them in a 12S4P configuration my 4 Amp charger should be good. I’m not sure how to charge them with the LiitoKala without taking them apart?

the App has a “cell delta target” in mV. I wonder if that’s the setting that’s not allowing the batteries to charge?

2 Likes

nope that is where it gives up and says good enough. Bigger the number the more delta allowed.

two pin JST connector through the balance leads can manually balance cells

3 Likes

True, but if you’re suspecting your cells not to be legit / to have some sort of deficiency (if it got from 4.2 to 3.8 just standing assid in 3 month, it probably does) you wan’t to charge much slower than that,
Like 1A or .5A for the p group, and if you notice that the tzmpzrature of the pack is coing up, you disconect the charger imediatly.

Do you have some juper wires ?
You can solder one side of a jumper wire to one of the pole of your charger and an other to the other side,
then “plug” the jumper wires into the jst connector
(one side in - and one in 1 to charge the first pgroup, then one to 1 and one to 2 to charge the second one…)

That’s not beautifull, but it should work.

3 Likes

There’s a point here : if the connections isn’t fusion level, you can get some weird resistance readings, i would not be to warry of the battery pack itself, but the sensor leeds and the charging port maybe

1 Like

This isn’t possible, or the battery would be a fireball or at least melt that wire away immediately.

2 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

I’ll check that again. It was confusing to me that’s why I mentioned it.

3 Likes

Is the negative of the charge port supposed to be going in to an xt connector?

3 Likes