First build, Octagon, DIY NKP 3-Link

Absolutely phenomenal build! :heart_eyes: Definitely a build of the year contender, imo. All the parts fit so seamlessly together and this thing really looks like a serious machine. Seems almost a shame to cover up the bottom details with an enclosure, but I guess the electronics have to go somewhere. Looking forward to seeing this thing complete and in action.

5 Likes

This thing is awesome :star_struck: why didn’t you go with a cool aluminum enclosure to add to your wonderful metal fab :thinking:
But I still love everything about this build :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Thanks guys! Most of my answers are “because I’m new at this” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Frankly, I still have no idea how this will do at a decent speed. I did make a basic plywood deck and it was very smooth, but I think that is mostly due to the ceramic bearings… those didn’t exist back when I was riding a board…

It’s so cool to have this forum! I didn’t know what a VESC was, I didn’t know what a BMS was, never even considered a NKP 3-Link or heard of it, and then there are pucks, Dave(forgot the acronym but it provides ride info), battery reviews - who would ever know WTF a Molicel was ? On and on…

Crazy to think a skateboard can be stable at 35 mph and have a range of 30 miles… makes me want to get back in the garage and keep improving…

If I can get away from this 3D printer I will! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

10 Likes

You may have tried this already, but I struggled with bed adhesion on a glass plate too. Get an accurate thermometer and measure the top of the plate! My actual temp was off by ~6 C from the set/read temp.

3 Likes

Too hot or too cold? My PETG roll says 210-240 but everything online says to do PETG at 250? My next “guess” is to lower the nozzle temp…

2 Likes

Just drop this here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are you interested in the DIY onewheel builds as well?
Could use some more people like you big time!

2 Likes

Are you printing really slow on the first layer or two? I haven’t printed in a while, but I’d print PETG at around 235*-238* (240* was as high as I could go) and print the first layers at about half speed, then the rest at normal speed.

3 Likes

Weird. My petg seems to work best at like 270

2 Likes

It took me this long to stumble upon this post…

Wow… you’ve outdone yourself especially for a first!

4 Likes

Sheeeeesh this thing is sick man nice build

9 Likes

So @MarkVa1 how interested would you be in adopting a 43 year old boy?

12 Likes

I only have you by 5! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

TWO BOYS! I am 47 :smile:

4 Likes

Not at the moment. But good luck!

4 Likes

been considering building one
happy to help with any testing you need. im not great at CAD or anything but dont mind actually building things if you want

2 Likes

@DavidF
I think you would like this build check it out :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Oh my… :pray: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

When I saw this I just thought of you :call_me_hand:
This is the future I love everything about this build other than the enclosure which I think we can persuade him to do aluminum :sunglasses: or fiberglass maybe

3 Likes

ahah CNCd aluminium enclosure of course ^^

4 Likes