First build! | New to esk8 | Parts check

For low powered/single motor builds it’s okay. I would consider a VESC with those 6374s.

1 Like

Man I was really trying to keep this build on the low side. The cheapest VESC I could find is from flipsky. Do you have any others you would recommended? As cheap as you can get but will still get the job done.

2x 6374 and cheap side? Those are one of the more powerful motors you can put on a esk8. The cheap ESC is really your limiting factor. If your batteries do 60 Amps or something you will still be able to pull 25A from the ESC which is 12.5A per 6374 motor. Doesnt make any sense to run 6374s then.

I’m running flipsky 6.6 VESC with 80A batt on 30qs and 2x 6374s. Maybe you can step down to 6355s or 5065s to save some cash and go for a VESC. I really would like to know what others think about that.

2 Likes

Hey man, If you consider li-ion packs instead of lipo, you will have a lot more options with enclosures. Also, IVoxuI is right, if you want something cheap with esc, 6374s are complete overkill.

I was eventually going to get a VESC. Might be best to just save up and get it now. Thanks for the advice fellas.

1 Like

Thoughts on this?

https://www.amazon.com/modifiable-Electronic-Controller-Skateboards-conversions/dp/B07JX8C9ZX/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=vesc&qid=1570903309&sr=8-3

I’ve heard that those Flipsky anti-sparks aren’t really reliable which come with the “plus” version on a FSESC. If you don’t mind a sticking out loop-key, a shorted xt90-s connector would do just fine and you will save some $$$. https://flipsky.net/collections/electronic-products/products/dual-fsesc4-12-100a I don’t know if you’ve already decided on what config you are going with and what AMPS it’s going to make but the 4.20 I linked you should do just fine. You will need a remote for this tho and that is additional $45 if you go with a VX1 or less if you get a RC car remote.

1 Like

Your better off buying an ESC based upon VESC. Flipsky have some on ebay for a great price, i have purchased 5 of these already, the only downside, it took two wks to get them, heres a link where i got mine from.

great info.

I own 4 of these and never had an issue on them.

Version 2.0 Pro are good, i own 4 of them, the “Smart” version i heard are nit very reliable unless they fixed the issue but i wouldnt know cause i dont have one of those.

I would rather buy two of the individual 4.12 flipsky than buying that one cause if it fails on you, its pretty expensive where if you buy 2 of the single ones and one fails, you can replace it and its much cheaper in price to replace.

Also, save your money and invest on a lithium ion battery pack, i personally started with lipos and within a month, the turnigy lipos started to swell up which is nit good, so i only use lithium ions on all four of my diys.

Totally agree. This is the one part I would definitely replace. Most of these are set for hub kv range and even the belt versions can’t pass enough juice to feed those motors.

In the highest speed setting, you’ll get weird surging as it struggles to provide juice and the braking is just plain awful.

If budget is an issue, you’d be far better off grabbing a Maker X or Flipsky dual vesc, $20 mini remote, and using a loop key for on/off.

Great call. Properly juiced 6355s will outperform underfed 6374s for sure.

If you are on budget, it might be better to go for single motor with VESC. It will cut down costs a lot and even give you more range if you live in flat area. You can upgrade to dual after you save up more money.

Cheapest VESC is probably Flipsky FSESC 4.12 from aliexpress. During sales it can be purchased bellow $50, next sale is on 11.11.

3 Likes

Any batteries or vendors you’d recommend?

Fair enough. You guys have convinced me. No more cheap ebay ESC. Going to spend the extra bucks for a VESC. Will be on the lookout for that sale. Thanks man!

2 Likes

How do you loop 2 single VESC’s? I can’t imagine using 2 remotes lol…

Connect by canbus cable to set a master and slave relationship (easiest) or run split PWM (splice together both vesc’s receiver cables to join into one receiver) or run each motor/vesc as it’s own drivetrain with separate receivers.

2 Likes