First build...ever! (NYAKIM 1)

My motors seem really low

My motors were really low and I broke one on my first ride. Try to raise them up even if it means you can’t use all of your hardware. If you can’t raise them, look into using risers to give yourself more space.

3 Likes

I had such a hard time with this SOB of a belt that I think I’m switching this weekend to one of those beltless drive trains. Does anybody have any suggestions on something that will work with RKP trucks.

2 Likes

I know that kind of frustration. What’s the issue? Hard to tell by photo, but it seems like you have an angle problem.

Also going to call in someone who knows more than me.

@mmaner

1 Like

@drone001 your build looks good. I would increase the height of the motors from the ground, use risers if you need too. What is the issue with the belt? Are you running 42 tooth pulley’s?

If you want something besides belt drive, and I wouldn’t recommend it since your literally minutes away from being done, look at hummie hubbs or a gear drive from @Kaly or E-Toxx. If you can wait a bit @moon will shortly have some low cost AT gear drive options available.

2 Likes

I use the Janux mounts as well. The crossbars do help with alignment a lot. What I do is I connect the two motor arms with the crossbars, ensuring it’s all square, and then tighten the motor mount clamp.

Also, no fair! Those parts are premium for a first build! :rofl:

4 Likes

that belt I can not get the slack out and it slips even while acceleration. theres a rumble sorta like a bubble in the tire when i get up to speed. I think it has something to do with this belt.

yes 42-16t i had it going for a while without a problem then the belt started doing this slip thing. I checked everything and put it all back together and it’s even worse now.

thx bruh i will try to use the cross bar I played with it for a while to no avail.

Why didn’t you use the 60 tooth pulleys? I’m just curious.

1 Like

Using your forefinger, push down on the belt in the center of the open space between both pulleys. How far can you push it with moderate pressure?

1 Like

i ordered them they should be in my mailbox when i get home. I was looking for speed but that was before i knew that speed comes at a cost…

1 Like

I run both, I prefer the larger pulleys for the torque. If you want more speed use a larger motor pulley, may an 18t.

1 Like

i try to get it as close to .25 of an inch but can’t seem to get it right. if i manage to get it right by the time i tighten things up…it’s off again.
the cross bar is way to short i think to use.

1 Like

so 60-18t

1 Like

Its hard to explain without actually showing but this is what I do.

Secure the deck to your work surface. Use bungy cords or clamps or velcro, whatever, you just don’t want it to move.

Remove the wheel all together. Get all 4 screws the hold the motor in position installed but not tight. Find one that you can get to easily with a hex wrench. Using one hand pull the motor pack until you have the tension that you want, then tighten that one screw down hard then tighten the one opposite it.

Dry fit the wheel and make sure everything is good. Remove one of the loose screws and apply loctite, then with the next screw do the same. Wait a few minutes for the loctite to settle in so that moving the board around doesn’t move the loctite around too much. Then loosen one of the firs 2 screws and apply loctite, then do the next one. Do the other side the same way.

Let the board sit for 8 to 12 hours so the loctite will cure, then go ride it.

3 Likes

Thats a pretty fast gearing setup, I normally use 15 or 16 and 60 with 6 shooters, but 18 is usable.

1 Like

thx i’ll stick to 60-16t. lol. i’m already plenty fast.

1 Like

@mmaner-

Mike, does it look like his mount will take an idler? That might be another option…

It looks like an idler is definately an option…

That being said, I don’t use them as it wears the outside of the belt a lot faster than a belt normally wears. With a well tensioned mount they aren’t necessary.

2 Likes