First build done 200A SPIM08HP cells Sadly Converted to 2WD 2x 60A/FOCBOX (the good one) Maytech 6374 Haggy DT ABEC wheelz

You are not alone. My lipos are in a cardboard box too. ^^

7 Likes

4 Likes

Hi Iā€™m Nick and my first build is a pile of money slowly catching on fire. Is the coffee and donuts over there for everyone orrrrā€¦ ?

11 Likes

Iā€™m trying to fix the focing blown DRV.

Parts and materials on order and will be here next week.

I have got these two drv error 4.12 VESCs to try fixing before I take a crack at the focbox.
2610e2405347a71d0f230ab5c4709a81120152c9_2_375x500 (1)

and before I take a crack at any of them I have wasted $30 getting a FOCishy

Need to find something creative to do with it besides taking chips off and maybe putting it back on.

Ideas anyone? I was thinking about casting it onto epoxy and making an X thing out of it.

3 Likes

Do you have the spare DRVā€™s on hand to even do the replacement? Turns out if you look longer than 1 micro second you see the second screenshotā€¦

2 Likes

I really should have got like 5-6 DRVs but I like to live life on the edge I guess.

Iā€™m trying to save to buy TB 6.64 ESCs this month, canā€™t stop myself from wasting money on other crap tho.

If you wanted a test PCB i have one or two CheapFOCer V1 boards laying around that Im not planning on using, but if you dont have any flux or solder its not going to do you much good.

1 Like

This is what I got the FishyFOC for, its as good of practice as I could ask for really.

Then the DRV error but working 4.12 VESCs are the warmup and the broken FOCBOX is the final boss.

2 Likes

Keep us posted. I have a broken DRV, too. Iā€™d love to learn how it goes for you, so I can then do the same mistakes.

2 Likes

Twins

4 Likes

Haha looks a lot like what I made before this build with my hobbyking SK8 conversion kit thing. Except mine was a lot smaller only having two 6S 4Ah lipos that got about 6 mile range. I used the box my flipsky VX1 came in as it all fit quite nicely. Got a couple good rides out of that I think.

2 Likes

I got my drowned Focbox today (and the DRVs but the solder stuff is delayed) and took it over to the hot air station to blast heat on it to see what happened. (nothing due in part to the corrosion and rust layer over all the pins)

Realizing a lot of things, a minor one being I need one of those flux pens and some tweezers. A major one being that I am thinking I should not have attempted to DRV swap anything, much less 3 VESCs. A lot of money in on it and that pushes me to keep trying, so I guess spend more.

Iā€™m going to lower my confidence level down to below 30%

4 Likes

I call it, my spirit of DIY. Even the mounts, pulleys and BELT were 3D printed.

6 Likes

you need ceramic tweezers, liquid flux, solder wick, chip-qwik a PCB vice and a microscope would be helpfulā€¦ HOLD THE PCB as level as possibleā€¦

remember you aint fucked it up until you power it onā€¦ do continuity check on every pin on the DRVā€¦ and every pin on that your hot air loosens the componentā€¦

have you watched a video or two atleast?

EDIT:

everyone has a piece of crap electronic device to practice onā€¦
@Fosterqc

3 Likes

Yep I watched most of the video of vedderā€™s hand and @Fungineers video. Also a couple videos on general SMD rework.

I have all that except the tweezers and liquid flux/flux pen. I have some PCBs to practice with as well.

This will be highly difficult but I am up for the challenge, although I am wishing I had just sent it to a pro.

3 Likes

you can do itā€¦

BTWā€¦ itā€™s easier for me to use chip-qwik to take the bad one offā€¦ and solder paste to place itā€¦
remember:
it ainā€™t fucked until you power it up and checkā€¦checkā€¦check
Flux is your friend! use too much!

1 Like

i donā€™t know if you careā€¦ but this is where I got my inspiration to take apart electronics that I had NO idea how they worked (electronically)

It should be time stamped to the correct time linkā€¦

4 Likes

Sounds like you might as well go all in now and become the next drv-wizard.

5 Likes

Bluetooth module added switched to ACK. Actually ā€œattachedā€ the wires to the deck no more droopyloops.

Oh forgot to add:
I TAPED THE PHASE WIRES SO THEY CANā€™T SHORT
20200412_182611

First? tentative ride. Need to use a GPS tracker to verify the distance traveled and try to not do any air spin checks to see that itā€™s working so I donā€™t mess up the readings on range and max speed.
Also thinking I should raise the motor current to 80A from 60A. Batt amps set to 50A currently.

I agree that AWD/FWD is more stable than RWD.

4 Likes

so are you gonna try to protect those precious focboxes???

1 Like