First Build - all support is welcome :-)

Oh ok I tought the number of cells was given by 10s2p (10x2 = 20). So it makes sense :slight_smile:

The point is: I know exactly how I will be using my eskate. I know I would prefer to build something, but I know that I really want a clean build. I know I would enjoy a pintail and I understand that this might be a bit difficult…
My fear is, that due to the missing experience, I will spend a lot of money and/or will not be able to have that clean look I desire.

By I prefer to build something myself I don’t mean that I enjoy spending a lot of time repairing (I do that with my drones way too much already… :wink: ) But I love the satisfaction to know that the craft is made by myself and knowing exactly what you can achieve with your ride and where the limitations are, and why… :slight_smile:

Yes the first board is always going to be more expensive then the initial plan was. There are so many small parts and bits you didn’t thought of in the beginning.
Meepo is a really cheap brand and it’s not the most refined boards either I’ve read about not 100% fitting enclosures etc. If you are really after a good looking board I would look into other Chinese prebuilts too.
I haven’t used an exway myself, but they are highly regarded at the moment.

A enclosure that might fit a Pintail deck is these. It’s originally designed to fit a Loaded Vanguard Deck which was used in the first gen. Boosted. You could fit a big enough battery in there for your 35km of range. If you would get a dual VESC based controller like the one made by Makers-X then you could fit a second small enclosure further in the back under your deck.
But going this route will be more expensive then a prebuilt.
https://www.eboardsperu.com/product/loaded-vanguard-enclosure-set-12s4p/

I finally ordered my deck. I guess in about a week I will be able to measure the proper dimensions and then select or design (for 3d-printing) a enclosure that fits.

While looking at different parts, I stumbled once again over the direct-drive motors (from Torqueboards).
I chose hub motors especially for the lower noise and stealth factor.
But the fact to have a proper wheel is a big benefit of the direct drive setup.

Therefore my questions:

• How loud are direct drive setups? Is it a big difference to the hub motors?
  • Is it as easy to push a sakteboard with a direct drive setup as it is a hub drive setup?

Direct drive are extremely quiet. Almost makes it feel like you art even riding a esk8 since you dont heard anything

The TBDD is a solid choice, together with TB 110mm
Wheels you will have a very comfy ride.
Due to the proper wheels and dampening DD are even quieter than Hubmotors.
Can you link the Deck you choose?
The DD are a bit more energy hungry than Hubs, to achieve the range you are looking for you need to have enough space for the battery under your Deck.
There is also the Revel Direct Drive kit, which is kind of similar to the Mellow Drive with the difference being a DD kit. It’s also highly regarded and worth looking into.

Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Edit*
DD are pushable, however the TBDD are big powerfull motors with strong magnets, they will have more resistance than the small Chinese hubs.
Since you are conquering some hills too I would advise for the 75KV variant.

1 Like

@kadeanderson Thanks, to know that is a huge thing for me. :slight_smile:

@Goldrabe I guess the smooth ride and “quiter than Hubmotors” is true for both, the Revel-Kit and the Torqueboard-Kit, right?

What are the main differences between the two?
As I can see on the Wepbage, The Revel-Kit offers a all-inclusive package (with battery, esc, etc. for about 700$
While on the Torqueboards I still need to buy a battery and ESC in addition to those 700$…
So the question is: How much better is the Torqueboards kit?
And how well will the Reve-Kit do when climbing a 20% hill?

Deck: I ordered the Fish Groundswell from Arbor Collective:

A screenshot on the Reve-Webpage show the Kit on a Pintial from Arbor… so it could work…

Here again the Links for the Revel-Kit and Torqueboards Kit

The Torqueboards DD are much more powerful motors, the included trucks, wheels bushings are all high quality. For example the Revel standard wheels are just generic wheels which aren’t bad, but just not the level of the 110’s.
The TBDD with VESC based ESC gives you freedom of configuration and you can get the most out of your given setup. You can repurpose the parts and replace broken stuff easier then with a closed system like the Revel.
The Revel kit on the other hand has nicely built in safety features and is easy to install.

1 Like

Hmm… it’s a hard decision.
The simplicity, form factor and price are better with the Revel…

Does anybody know about warranty and repairability? Do you get a base warranty with rebel?
How easy is it to repair the kit after the warranty runs out (e.g. you burn the esc, can you replace it by yourself)?

That was me :blush: before @eBoosted helped me out :rofl:

Get on the Revel thread I linked and ask your questions there you will get your answers. Maybe there are also people who rode both DD and can give you a comparison.

Wow that was a confusing read for me let alone a newbie.

There is a huge learning curve here and seriously you should be thinking about a kit formed build.

@BuildKitBoards @torqueboards

Keep it in house with either of these trusted vendors and your first build will be a breeze. @Acido for your battery. Trusted vendor.

If anyone tells you not to start with the deck and enclosure then they are not worth listening too.

Its the first place you go. Its a skateboard and the very first place when building one of these things is deciding on what kind of deck you want to ride. The deck is the everything. Once you decide on the deck only then can you know what mechanics are going to work. Electrics are fluid.

Mechanics are not once the deck is sorted.

Good luck with this and pm me if you want some help

Bumped you to member because all the right moves.

2 Likes

Thanks for the mention, @silverhammer if you have any questions regarding the battery just ask :smiley:

2 Likes

Contrary to a certain ex enertion ceo’s belief, we actually do do more in here than play silly buggers.

You have a good reputation brother and that is to be advertised and applauded.

Sent in the right directions too

1 Like

So I pulled the trigger on the Rebel Kit :slight_smile:
Now I only have to wait…

Thanks a lot for all your support.
Special Thanks to @pundahh, @visnu777 and @Goldrabe for helping and answering question over and over again :slight_smile:

Also special Thanks to @Acido for offering to build me a battery. The Rebel Kit comes with a battery so I won’t need your service this time… But I’ll keep your name in mind in case I will do another build in the future :slight_smile:

I will post a picture here of the finished board as soon as it is done… This could take up to 1 month until I get the Revel Kit…
Make sure to keep watching this thread if you want to see it - or stopp following if you don’t care :wink:

2 Likes

The Revel kit should be quite good as a gateway drug :smiley:

4 Likes

I own both TBDD(on DIY build) and Revel kit.
I am very satisfied with the performance of TBDD, but I think the Revel kit is a great way to get started with ESK8.

Replaceable battery systems such as the Revel kit offer both advantages and disadvantages.
Pros: Add battery pack when range runs out. You can ride more.
Cons: You need to carry an extra battery pack. Battery packs are expensive.

3 Likes

I had a landwheel for a while and i really liked it.
All the issues with it have seemingly been addressed but if you need specific help then @pkasanda is your man.
Paul is good people.
Theres a dedicated thread too.
Welcome to the slippery slide into poverty. :grinning:

2 Likes

Love that line “welcome to the slippery slide into poverty”
These things are so freaking fun and
SO FREAKING ADDICTIVE

I also have a Revel 4WD Kit… Fucking Love It… Enjoy

2 Likes