Field weakening is awesome- testers needed

I haven’t read the whole thread but from what I know field weakening increases motor temperature.
Considering our motors are already on the limit , especially during the summer, do you guys think field weakening is a good idea?

2 Likes

I don’t think so.

Also this

I mean, a properly set up system with a top speed that’s just above adequate would be more ideal than field weakening IMHO

3 Likes

I get that. The advantages of field weakening is that you gear low enough for torque while still maintaining a higher top speed.

In the end it depends on how and where one uses his boards. For me personally right now it seems like a bad idea.

Obviously in order to be a viable option for an esk8 application it would have to be at least as reliable as the current options.

1 Like

Not only is it much more dangerous,
you have to burn hundreds of watts inside the motor to get a paltry 10% or 20% increase in speed.

Field weakening is mostly used on large IPM motors for industrial because they get to 200-300% rated speed with minimal current injection and thus have a meaningful constant power region.
This is unlike the motors we have.

5 Likes

So if im looking to go from like 25mph to 30 I’m asking too much? When my batt voltage is low the top speed dips too far for me, so I’m just looking to boost it up a bit

1 Like

If you’re battery is already at a low voltage, then it is too much because of the amount of power you’ll burn to get it will just drain the battery immediately.

3 Likes

How would this work in an inrunner? I am tempted to give it a try on my efoil board but should probably have a backup vesc before I do that.

Currently on my 12s battery with throttle in current control, I can use my full throttle range when getting up on the foil, but after I’m up and much more efficient I can only use about 1/2 the range before I got max duty cycle. I would love to at least be able to have a couple seconds of FW to save me if I’m at max traditional RPM (but hard to tell with just the throttle trigger) and need a bit of throttle to keep the board from hitting the water.

4 Likes

How sure are we that this will happen? Have we tested? It makes sense, but has it been done? Can it be avoided through software?

1 Like

I don’t see a reason why this shouldn’t work on an inrunner.

3 Likes

This is why I’m not realy interested in it as a eSkate application. If heat and consumption is not a limiting factor then it might work but it’s more Ben working on the VESC been a universal esc.

Turbo boost to impress your mates or prove a point but not practical for PLEV’s

1 Like

Even then, there are more accessible sources of additional voltage.

Like trapezoidal control.

2 Likes

Got larger motor pulleys instead. I’m on 22t now lmao

1 Like

I have people on the onewheel discord convincing me that the onewheel xr hub is 14KV not 17KV as previously told and they made it appear 17KV via field weakening for past minute pushback/going over 20 something mph

1 Like

Field weakening on little focers or actual one wheel hardware? I feel like field weakening is not something to fuck with on a balancing pev

4 Likes

They said on the xr it does that but honestly they did not have any videos made showing so idk…

1 Like

I don’t feel like the XR has enough spare current or capacity to use field weakening without being super dangerous or it absolutely burning through range at high speeds.

6 Likes

I think it would only be activated in the final stages of pushback is how it made sense to me. People see like 30mph freewheel speed max charge and that is more than the 14KV they claim the hub to truly be can go. That was their evidence. They said on a VESC the xr hub shows 14KV despite others saying they found otherwise. idk wish they were here I would tag them.

update: someone is much smarter and explained that it is 17KV.
@Gamer43 saves the day.

now everyone flip your flipsk8 enhanced antispark in celebration

1 Like

It was a squares vs circles thing.

I.e. squares are bigger than circles.

1 Like
 ▲
▲ ▲

Triangle is the strongest shape :warning:

3 Likes

How would this preform on Hubs for effeciancy - since you never really hit your top RPM on hubs.

Once you are at speed (assuming no wind resistance just to understand the concept) wouldent you be able to matain that speed.

Or is feild weakening a way of pushing out more amps or Torque at Low RPM and still allowing more speed than say 60kph which is what im getting from a 10s without feild weakening

1 Like