Field weakening is awesome- testers needed

Ahh ok, mhh :thinking:
That sounds like something I wanted to hear tbh even though I wouldnt try skating some fantasy changes of myself :joy: but for future bench testings I have a new approach for some playing around. Thank you.

any guinea pigs running this? about to and looking for advice.

4 Likes

Running it, but haven’t hit FW zone when riding yet.

4 Likes

@Skatardude10
get out there and do it!! if we dont hear back we’ll know it’s not ready yet.

3 Likes

Lol :joy:

I’m putting together a spare board with a higher gear ratio and 10S on 83mm flywheels, planning on testing more with that so if it flips me off it’s not at 65mph but rather slower.

Might hook up some of my 6S batteries to make possible testing it just past 15mph :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

The real fun starts when the BEMF is higher than the VESC permits…

3 Likes

:fire: :fire_engine:

2 Likes

That works actually be a great way to test without going over the VESC voltage limits and risking damaging hardware.

4 Likes

Anyone else been testing this much yet?

1 Like

I got this setup on my 6S setup.

Update to this from the other thread…

Turns out my power tool batteries can handle around 67A. I upped FW current to 70A and on the bench the motor spins up to and beyond 27mph- probably about 30mph. That is up from 17mph without FW, and 20mph at 40-50A FW current.

Maybe upping the duty cycle current limit start to 98% and lowering FW current start to 85%, upping battery amp max from 20A to 40A and motor current from 70A to 80A helped. Looking forward to trying this on the road after the rain stops. 30mph is still pretty fast if something goes wrong, but at least it’s not 60mph… I think full pads might be in store now, as before this felt like it was crawling.

9 Likes

Fantastic to hear, almost double the speed unloaded so probably another 7-9mph loaded? Pretty good!

2 Likes

I’ll keep an eye on GPS speed and report back.

2 Likes

Watch consumption too and see what happens to range, I’m curious

Do you have a good idea of the range pre-field-weakening?

3 Likes

Nope, I just know I ride for a few miles and 4 bars on the battery stays at 4 bars or 3 :man_shrugging: I really need to get an NRF module in there at some point or maybe try that firmware mod to enable HM-10 support.

2 Likes

Gonna revive this thread - my board is all torque with a 27mph top speed, and Id like to keep the torque. Instead of installing my larger motor pulley, I was thinking of field weakening with a stormcore 60d+ and maytech 6374 140kv.

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

If you don’t hear from me, it either means I pussied out or died

3 Likes

Please stay safe.

4 Likes

I’m buying full safety gear before I test it

1 Like

I’ve been running 40-50A FW current on all on all my boards. I haven’t ran into any faults while FW has been active :man_shrugging: and I don’t really get into the FW territory too often. I don’t think FW is an automatic death sentence unless your ESC is prone to faults and/or you’re in FW territory often.

As a top speed boost it’s great… Just prepared for a fault to happen while in FW and faceplant is all.

3 Likes