Field weakening is awesome- testers needed

it just uses a bunch of amps and overdrives the phases to make an extra little but of RPM.

think 20% more amps for 10% more speed. Not accelerating faster this is for sure.

2 Likes

Would this mean if i have yet to reach my locked speed on rpm there is still a benifit?

Any updates on this?

No, Brian scared the he heck out of all of us :grinning:

1 Like

I havent updated my boards in a couple years, kept using field weakening…

super anecdotal, havent had any serious issues. Then again I havent really pushed my boards much the last couple years.

3 Likes

Who had this working on esk8?

Just upgrade your pack to a higher voltage :pray:

1 Like

Or gearing?

1 Like

well you would lose acceleration, but if you’re light enough, it should be fine

If I build a battery let’s say a 14s I’d have to replace my VESC, BMS and charger.

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade

4 Likes

Yeah, but if you’re coming up from 12s may as well go to 16 or 18 while you’re at it. Seems like a lot of work for an extra 7.2 volts.

2 Likes

FTFY :rofl:

3 Likes

Did you ride it?
Just saw that you did it to all your boards.

2 Likes

@Skatardude10 Am curious about your experience with field weakening

1 Like

Ive been running field weakening for a long time now with no problems but wondering how efficient it is on a typical 12 tooth outrunner. I imagine if youre constantly accelerating from 0 as quickly as you can you’d be better off with a lower kv motor and using field weakening than a high kv motor.

1 Like

been running field weakening on my ebike for a couple months at this point it brought the throttle only top speed from 33mph to 40mph which is nice, but most importantly it removed the hard wall at max speed

4 Likes

“duty cycle current limit start” already does this

2 Likes

But that just drops your top speed even more

1 Like

Nope, just limits torque at high speed.

2 Likes