Fibreglass : Mold and Enclosure Making : How To and How Not To

You mean the filters? Or the masks?

What is the story there?

2 Likes

Replace the whole mask. They’re about £20 each?
If you are not clean shaven the mask will leak.

2 Likes

Make sure you use organic vapor cartridges/mask.

3 Likes

Oh I see, I thought you got a waxing with resin :laughing:.

I won’t have any problem with facial hair never had much

3 Likes

That battery design is going th be incredibly awkward to build properly dude.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s why I hired a professional. It may be the most difficult battery build I’ve seen on here, I’m weirdly proud of that.

Your weird layout: 147x350
Standard side by side layout: 140x378

You’re 7mm wider and 28mm shorter, doesn’t seem like much of a gain for having to build such a weird ass pack.

or just go 3 groups wide, by the looks of it you’ve got the room for a normal pack and plenty of room next to the unity to put the BMS.

Its a fucking ball ache to make a battery like that and adds a lot more points of potential failure. I see it as something to be avoided at all costs.

2 Likes

If you are looking to get a good mask I can recommend the MSA Comfo Elite.

We use Comfo classics at work and they are decent but the Elite uses a softer rubber and in my opinion is worth the extra cost.

I wore one while building a canoe and it is comfortable enough to wear for a long period of time.

2 Likes

These 3m ones are also really good. Just don’t get the grey rubber one like this one, get the blue rubber one. Much more gooder.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Starting some new enclosures, may as well document the progress in here. Landyachtz Switch 40 single stack and Switchblade 40 double stack.

Measured maximum size on deck and cut ply to suit using table saw and drop saw.

Relief cuts into deck side of ply to allow shaping to the deck. For each relief cut thick ply, there is a thinner ply sheet for it to glue onto. I will glue these up and clamp them to their respective decks.

13 Likes

Ok. Try again. My Hummie enclosure test no. 3.
Sprayed PVA on the mould this time, high vacuum pressure. Hopefully sorts out the problems at the corners that I had on the last couple of attempts. :crossed_fingers:

13 Likes

That mold looks amazing!

1 Like

@rosco is l33t

1 Like

:joy: thanks mate.
Well I’m learning.

Today that PVA works very well, and my part de moulded super easily. :+1:

Finish also looks pretty fair straight off the mould surface. Will need a sand and clear coat still though.

My mould shape however, not so good.
Still some voids on edges and corners despite some effort to avoid them.
It’s a problem with the shape, needs smoother, more gentle curves.

For reference; a buck shape like this is not ideal. (don’t do this)

15 Likes

is that only carbon fiber or also fiberglass

Ooh yeah, those sharp corners do look problematic. You need a stronger vacuum!

1 Like

I ran it at 25 inches of mercury… :rofl: don’t think that’s the solution. The problem is the shape.

It’s two layers 200gsm carbon twill and 2 layers 400gsm biaxial fibreglass. It is thin and only really suitable as a cover.

1 Like

Could be why @BigBen enclosures walls have a little taper maybe right angled corners are difficult to get right.

🖼️ Pictures and nothing else!

2 Likes