FAULT_CODE_OVER_TEMP_MOTOR (feat crash at 47kph)

You’re planning on running with all your sensors except temperature, right?

ride it like you stole it, hand check the motor temps occasionally until you’re sure you’re not cooking the motors.

2 Likes

worth noting you can “upload” your metr record and share the link on it’s own line and it will get embedded.

Also worth noting that there’s a little split icon you can use to get both motor temps if you were connected via CAN or have a unity.

This is a record from a ride on a second board with the exact same setup as the one I have problems with above. motors/vesc/battery all the same. you can see the temperatures are much smoother.

even in the noisy spots it’s not really jumping by more than a degree. that’s more like what yoyu wnat to see.

1 Like

So I’ve got em pulled out and heat shrinked

Sanity check me just in case, but metr is no longer displaying motor temp so pretty sure I got it right.

Diagram

Right

Left

Thanks for all the help on this guys, and @fessyfoo for metr tips and logs too

2 Likes

and… i triggered it one more time. because I haven’t gotten around to a better fix. and the 120c cutoff isn’t “safe” enough.

would love a disable temp sensor boolean option in vesc tool the way focbox ui has.

still fw3.65

1 Like

If you’re daring FW5.02 [beta] is supposed to have addressed the temp. Sensor filtering

Thank you.

yes I am aware.

that is part of the question. been waiting for 5.02 to be more beta’d.

but also I kinda want to finish the journey in this thread and see if I can eliminate some of the actual noise somehow hardware wise. though I’ve just stalled out on it, thinking about my builds instead.

Jeff and I had some discussions about the neg, wire and the temp. wire running closer together, and away from the phase wires… there was talk about twisting those pairs or a shield…

and also @DerelictRobot had some sort of a setting kludge that he surmised would trick the VESC…

I just de-pinned mine till 5.02 is a final…

1 Like

yeah. Jeff commented in the known bad versions thread and posted a picture of the issue.

I should do this until either I do 5.02 or actually mess with the shielding or routing of the wires.

1 Like

Caught this from a guy in the lacroix owners fb group. these are the wildest temp swings I’ve seen yet.

his metr logs https://metr.at/r/2Xzc4

it’s interesting htat both motors appear to go crazy at the same time. this is on a unity/nazare.

2 Likes

Just pull that temp wire out of the jst plug till the beta fw is an actual release and hopefully really fix that issue?

1 Like

yes. that’s the mechanical “switch” … which I will probably do.

unity fw has a boolean setting to just disable motor temp throttling which would be easy peazy. sadly this is lost in it’s transition to bldc/vesc fw5.1

if I had that i’d have “done it already”

1 Like

This is obviously not how temp changes. But why such swings? Bad sensors? EMI? Bad wire connection? Anyway feels scary with such unreliable measurements to let VESC cut off power based on temp

3 Likes

and funky temp filtering

1 Like

yeah. EMI is what everyone is saying.

but that guy with the super wild swings on the unity. that’s crazy. even for EMI

I was excited to get motors with temp sensors but reading all of the triggered faults lets me think i unplug the temp cable.

3 Likes

This doesn’t happen to every setup. probably not even the majority.

1 Like

Hy @All !!
Im also running into the issue with the over temp readings
Im running a dual setup with 2 focboxes and 2 aps6374s motors
Im getting the temp error also when i lift my board up and let the wheels spin in tge air so without lot of wheigt on the board
Regarding my xmatic readings the temp jumps from 54 up to 75 and then over and over till the error pops up
The motors are not very hot i can touch them with ease
Now before im going to remove the temp wire i wanna ask if a firmware update could solve this?
And my next question is which firmware can i upgrade my focboxes too without damaging them
Im runnin the ackmaniac tool btw
Thx very much guys

That’s some wild temp swings. possiboly more than noise. possibly broken cables.

Wild temperature noise should likely be addressed at hardware maybe some of these solutions.

• fix broken wires.
  • better routing of sensor wires. ( avoid unpaired routes to avoid receiving emf. )
  • twisting of phase wires to reduce emf.
  • shielding the sensor wires from the phase wires.

as a workaround you can depin the temperature sensor wire.

Newer 5.02 beta firmware (actually 5.01 but that has other issues) has increased software low pass filtering which will take care of some noise but won’t a fix for everything.

so short answer to your specific question. It might help.

1 Like

Thx very much!!
What kind of isolation works best for the sensor wires?
Do you have any experiences?

Kr

@Sharky I’ve heard of people taking shielded HDMI cables, and just using that for the sensor wires. Could also use a shielded USB cable but they only have 4 conductors and you need 6 for sensors + temp.

1 Like