Exway IWonder Hydro wheels.... Thoughts?

Just saw this, can’t see them on the Cloudwheels site so looks like exclusive to exway at this point. Thoughts? Some bold claims on wet grip, hope this isn’t more injuries waiting to happen

5 Likes

Very interesting setup. Rubber over urethane, I don’t think it’s been done before.

I still don’t really think people should ride in the rain but it is a fact that rubber has better grip than urethane

3 Likes

There was a dude on the forum who took a bike tire, cut it to length, wrapped it around a urethane wheel, and glued it on.

I believe he is dead now, for obvious reasons, but those pics are probably still floating around.

6 Likes

Arent those new cloudwheels rovers rubber tread over a urethane section?

2 Likes

Nah, just treaded urethane

1 Like

Eh?

1 Like

Well they certainly do not feel or act like rubber at all

Well, thats just iwonder making sure they use the cheapest compound possible :joy:

1 Like

Yeah wet marketing is bizarre. Are any of their boards even water resistant in the slightest? Nevermind saftey.

1 Like

Definitely, I would be surprised if the OG Exway weren’t some of the more water resistant ones out there

Current flex pro is IP55

1 Like

The gripping sounds nice but it doesn’t look like it dampens vibrations well. And thats something with grip I want. My joints aint what they use to be.

2 Likes

Fuck me :man_facepalming: there i go talking out my ass again

1 Like

In theory, demand for wheels that size and with that function (maybe with a bit more dampening) should be big. I’ll buy and test. That is, if German police will return my board at some point :smiling_face_with_tear:

Oh yeah i see that now ip55 on everything except the battery which is ip56. Thats pretty wild.

I’ve gotten to ride the cloudwheel rover 165s and since these have the same construction I have a general idea of how these are gonna ride.

Comfort-wise they aren’t gonna be better than MAD105/hollow wheels since they still have a ton of plain ol thane.

Unless they change the rubber that they used it’s gonna be a very strange ride. I found the rover 165s to be extremely responsive compared to pneumatics since they don’t have a sidewall that can flex, but also VERY slippery at the same time. It helps you carve but at the same time it’ll just lose traction on you. It’s a recipe for disaster.

My hopes aren’t high, and the fact that they’re advertising small wheels like that for riding in wet conditions is pretty concerning.

2 Likes

Yep. This is pretty accurate

And yeah idk about riding in wet conditions haha but I expect these wheels to be average with above average grip

Snugs are like better rovers, except they’re only 105mm

1 Like

Agreed! I definitely got the same feels when i rode them

1 Like

They’ve indicated that there’s very low dampening on these in the chart, I think the smaller size means it doesn’t have the cushioning you can see in the diagrams of the rovers. I think this would be much more uncomfortable.

Gotta love how they think that thane is puncture proof :rofl:

It can get punctured and that is far from the first time I had to remove shards of glass or really sharp gravel? from my sleeves. I haven’t had any issues with thane wheels but when it is a thin layer of thane on top of something else it looses that puncture resistance. Likely even more so if on top of a soft object or if there is an air gap between the thane and hard surface.

As an idiot who will ride in the rain, I fully agree with you. Don’t ride in the rain. Even if you completely ignore/don’t care about injuries at all you still shouldn’t do it because roads are disgusting and when they’re wet all that nasty road gunk gets flung up onto you from your wheels.

1 Like

Lol urethane is puncture proof in the sense that you can keep riding no problem, versus the pneumatic tires, which are pretty normal on their target market’s boards, that deflate when punctured.

2 Likes