Exway Atlas 4wd mods

Trampa 8" Mud Pluggers, Exway 66T pulleys and belts. Had to grind down the motor pulley covers to fit the Trampas. Home built aluminum bumper-handle-tow bar.
If I can find some SS security torx head screws it could also be used for putting a cable lock on the board in low risk situations.
Next will probably be home built fenders and experimentation with bindings. I’d also like to switch to gear drives to avoid packing mud and snow in the pulleys but don’t want to spend that much at the moment.

4 Likes

How much range do you get with those?

I don’t really know, never checked. Probably around 10 miles but I have a lot of steep hills and usually keep the tires soft around 20psi for comfort and off road traction. I guess I could get around 15 on the flat if aired up.

Unintentional “modification”, meant to do a hard stop in 4th gear and hit full acceleration instead, sent the board into a 6 inch ironwood tree as it shot out from under me. I took the bent bracket off and used a friend’s 100 ton press to straighten it out but the motor has a ticking sound so something probably got knocked loose inside. Luckily I have a spare motor because one of my motors was responding much slower than the other 3 so Exway sent me a new one, unfortunately the one I replaced is of course the one that hit the tree so the old motor is going back on.

1 Like

I got lucky, I was about the change the motor and noticed the motor pulley was loose on the shaft. Backed out the set screw, put some loctite on it, and cranked it down, ticking sound gone. :+1:

1 Like

I did a longer ride on mostly flat terrain and 25psi in the tires and did 10 miles on about 50% battery so I could probably get close to 20 miles on a full charge.

I wanted to carry the torx driver in my skate tool so I drilled a hole in the handle, slightly oversized 3/4 of the way through then friction fit for the last 1/4.

What’s the story with motor sizing? My motors are marked 4240 but measure 60x52mm. Is 4240 the internal rotor size?

i believe so yes, exway’s motors are marked as the internal stator size, while most other motors are marketed by their exterior dimensions.

1 Like

I guess Hobbywing does the same since these are made by Hobbywing.

1 Like

I made a “limited slip differential” for the board so I could have the 2 front motors turning together when taking off in low traction situations. Seems to be working pretty well off road so far, I even get a bit of slip when carving on pavement, I put some strips of tape on the coupler and the motors to see if they ever rotate independently and they do to some degree. It’s a 1.5 inch flexible pipe coupler that was able to stretch around the slightly more than 2 inch diameter of the motors with some work. The only down side is I have to remove a motor to get it on and off, though I could slit it and use zip ties or hose clamps, which would allow some adjustment of pressure and slippage.

1 Like

Made some fenders, original design was going to use 2 brackets per fender but these seem fairly solid so I’ll run them for a while and see how they work. 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum bent to shape and 1/8 inch ABS heated in an old toaster oven to 210 degrees and bent over the tires. I think I need to bend up a lip on the rear of the fenders because at speed they can still throw some water. Probably should have been a little longer but that’s the length of plastic I had on hand. Also need to trim the front inside corners since they just touch the board on hard turns. I’ll see how they work out then add some to the front.

1 Like

Moved the rear fenders up front and shifted the mounting point so they hang lower, made new longer fenders for the rear.

Also made a different version of a limited slip differential for the rear using two rubber pipe caps with springs underneath them. Works pretty well.

1 Like