Evolve gen2 Carbon series Battery

Hey guys, so I’ve scoured this forum for info.

There seems to be 1 thread that shows the max battery that depending on the battery makers skill level, can wedge into this stock space, but it was still undecided. There was also confusion over the type of board as people were comparing an evolve carbon gt to an evolve carbon which are completely different boards. Carbon has the enclosure underneath and the GT has the enclosure access from the top of the deck.
We are referring to the underneath board enclosure model.
Cheers.

1. What size battery can you fit into this standard space. I can’t figure out what that battery is. I took an 18650 and spaced it out, and it seems to be 10s6p, which I didn’t realise they even did.

2. Has anyone used a spacer to put a larger batery in there. If so what did you go with?

3. I’ve heard these boards may have had the samsung 30q cells back in 2014, can anyone confirm this, or does anyone know what cells they used?

Yeah I’ve had this board for 6 years and it’s going fine until Iive pulled it apart to make it faster etc.

I’m going to cut up some thick perspex pieces, sand them frosted,and make a flexible boarder enclosure spacer with LED’s facing into the perspex so it can later house some double stacked p42a’s.

Buy if anyone has already done this, would love to know.

Cheers

Basically the board before messing with it

Screenshot_20201119-094933_Chrome

The board now

:smiley:

2 Likes

You can’t. The stock battery was prismatic packs. 18650 are too thick.

With a spacer/gasket you can fit a 10S6P 18650 battery in there.

2 Likes

The best 18650 cells right now imho are the (in order, best first)

Molicel P26A
Murata VTC6
Samsung 30Q
Vapcell Red S30
Samsung 25R

2 Likes

Noo wuckin fay. Thanks man. So that explains the square wdges and why the 18650’s seemed thicker than the battery pack.

Am looking to make a pretty thick spacer. Like 30mm thick.

1 Like

The man, thank you

@whitepony has a build thread. Some of these battery making procedures are outdated and probably dangerous, especially with a super-flexible deck like this.

1 Like

Cheers bro. I’ve gone through loads of vids on youtube and taken the safest approach of all of the youtubers incl. Lee Wright who although safe, even imho is a little bit rough with how he handles his equipment and stuff, drops/bangs stuff around. But yeah man, appreciate that, I’ll check it out. Looks to be the way I’m going because nobody in NZ is doing custom batteries to fit skateboards anymore, sadly and shipping anythinf not 100% certified seems to be on most freighting firms probably not list.

The short, short, short list of ESSENTIAL tips for making the battery include:

• carbon fiber conducts electricity!!!

• use fishpaper around every P-group

• don’t use nickel for series connections that will bend (the lengthwise direction of the deck)

• if you use nickel for left-right (on the deck) series connections, then use a whole piece of 30mm wide nickel folded in half, not little pieces

• use silicone-insulated copper high-strand-count wire for series connections that will flex

• don’t pinch balance wires between sharp nickel edges

• use fishpaper anywhere rubbing will happen due to vibration

• don’t let the edge of folded nickel rub on a carbon fiber piece that will wear into the conductive part

3 Likes

It’s going to be tight but…

12S5P 4WD

5 Likes

I’ll try not to drop or bang this about though eh? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That’s going to be SUPER tight. Where will you put the radio receiver? In the pocket on the tail of the deck?

Don’t forget fishpaper around the p-groups. I think it’s 0.25mm thick per layer, going to add a couple mm of length.

2 Likes

On the tail mate, I’ve kept the plastic housing for it. I will also utilise the heat sink area to locate the BMS also. I also have been asked to put a 5V buc in there… we will see :joy:

1 Like

Oh snap! Embarassing. Hey man, not bagging your battery build vids bro, you are the best builder I’ve ever seen and deemed the safest. You just seem super fast with how you handle your bits and pieces, putting things down quick and banging stuff around lol. Cheers for chiming in :smiley:
Your vids are amazing, and, we are ordering our BMS’s from your site hehe , :v:

1 Like

No worries bro! I don’t mind at all, I am famous amongst my friends for being terrible with looking after my stuff, I’ve already killed 3 cameras in my short youtube career :rofl:

2 Likes

Move to New Zealand bro. Its coming into Summer now and overall, the weather is better for boarding, we also need a Lee Wright in New Zealand lol

1 Like

Wow, I can’t believe someone wants this thing 4WD, jeepers creepers lol. Mines just gonna be a 2WD ashphalt carver with 6384’s for inner city and central suburbs hill climb carving if need be.

Cheers for putting up that build pic. That helps heaps.

1 Like

Awesome thank you. Thats super helpful. You may have saved me from burning our neighbourhood down. Will refer back to this often methinks.

1 Like

It gets crazier, he also wants elofty hubs and Trampa superstars so I’ve designed some adaptors for that too. It’s going to be a crazy custom this one. I can’t wait to ride it

1 Like

lol what da. Hi Lee, can I please have some things that don’t fit together fit together? :rofl:

2 Likes

My mates a machinst and engineer for heavy machinery parts and the phrase ‘can’t be done’ ain’t in his vocabulary either lol

2 Likes