Evolve Carbon GT Battery Mods with 50+ Cells

Yeah it was much more of a tight fit than a fill DIY, done a couple CGT builds with a 12s4p and unity, the spacer helped out tremendously

1 Like

Quick question. I’m 10S5P atm, thought about going 12S4P… my batts are VTC6 (15a cont, 30a Max per cell). Think I’d see a gain enough to overlook the loss in range?

1 Like

Fuck yes. The difference between 10s and 12s is ridiculous. You go from having a nice easy board to one that tries to kill you and once you do it you will never want a 10s build again.

Its all about the watts about the watts no treble

I’m day drinking.

6 Likes

so much truth. 12S is Exhilarating

5 Likes

Thats not even a word. Are you drinking too my Matt Damon hippy lookalike?

4 Likes

Thanks dude, just what I was looking for. Going down the same road as you - have a 10s4p in there just now but I max the speed constantly and the range isn’t fantastic. Was going to go 5p but I think I’ll just bite it and go 12s.

Personally with the 170kv/6374s 16/38T gearing and 107s, you can regularly hit 31/32mph which, IMO, is faster than I want to be in the DKP setup from evovle. I do love the effortless carving and the sweet spot is right between 28-30 mph. But if you don’t plan on going faster than 30mph, I’d almost go 5P instead if range is what you are after. I know that largely dependent on habits, terrain, cell type, etc. but if added tq is what you want with just more topspeed then 170kv 6374 w/ 5P is a nice setup. TQ is no shit 8x more than stock evovle. Will definitely leave you on your ass

1 Like

That’s packed in nicely JDawg, what remote are you using buddy, and what’s the wee boad poking out between the bullet connectors there?

1 Like

Does evolve standard escs and motor handle 12s?

I don’t think anyone has tried it that I recall, but I would definitely recommend against trying that unless you absolutely don’t care if you permanently destroy the ESC.

1 Like

That’s what I though, I would only try it if I had some vescs waiting to be installed haha

1 Like

Very late but this is a 10s5p in a gen 3 CGT with no spaced ESC and stock BMS. It does fit.

fight me @longhairedboy

3 Likes

18650 cells?

Are the P-packs insulated with fishpaper?

1 Like

Of course. 30Qs.

-1 layer of fish paper between P groups. fiberglass PCB strip down the center of the pack to insulate left/right rows. You can kind of see the insulation ridges every 5 cells down through the heatshrink.

2 Likes

That’s baller.

Let’s see it again after 1000km.

2 Likes

That pack did 3000 miles and 400 cycles before I pulled it out and reused the deck that is now my 12s8p build.

And only reason why was because the ESC blew up.

TBF it looks clean but it took me hours to make that work. I had to file down part of the power connector to fit it right next to the ESC and cut bits off the BMS heatsink.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t even notice the 20180902 timestamp on the photo

1 Like

18650s are taller than the compartment is at the front of the battery compartment.

You’re essentially standing on cells there and the lid doesn’t fit perfectly.

I’d love to see pics of the heat shrink wearing out over the cells nearest the front of the deck.

Mad respect making it fit at all though. Glad it worked out so well. I still wouldn’t do it in a customer’s board.

4 Likes

Dis true, I put a gasket around the edge of the lid, the front is maybe a mm too tall, but still i feel like the lid is so thin and flexy you end up standing on the cells either way.

Hasn’t yet happened, the foam sheet under the lid is still intact. I put strips of VHB tape down so the pack can’t move at all.

So are the cells taller than the compartment because you are not using a spacer for the ESC. will you be ok if you used a spacer?