Everything that makes your ride safe

just picked up this helmet for $100 brand new from some dude on craigslist, visibility is great and seems like enough facial protection.

2 Likes

For my Mountainboard I currently use this “setup”:

FOX Protector Jacket
Troy Lee Designs Carbon Helmet (Model D3)
Fox Titan Pro Knee Guards
Oakley Glove (right hand with open thumb)
Wristguard (left hand)
Protector Short (Amazon)

I had the following “crashes”:

Longboard
Crash 1:
I had the first Maytech Remote on this one - I was going quite fast around 40km/h - I was wearing a helmet but other than that I only had a T-shirt and a short on.
The Maytech remote was slipping a bit while I was accelerating so I tried to relocate it with one hand by pushing it down to my hand and then I accidently hit the B Button (dumbest Product Design Ever) which will make the Board do a Fullbreak.

grafik
So you can imagine I was accelerating aorund 40km/h and then a sudden FULL BRAKE - I was flying straight into the air.
Only thing I was thinking while flying was - FUCK FUCK this IS NOT GOOD! :flight_departure: :cold_sweat:
So I was landing directly on my elbows and my knees and I hit the floor around 2-3 times (skipped like a stone over a lake). The Pain was immense.
I had to sit down and recollect all my life decisions up until that point.
Conclusion - a lot of my Tattoos got ruined and I know sport some scars after the accident.
I threw the fucking remote out as it is more than life threatening design and I moved on with my life.

Crash 2:
I was going uphill to test the strength of my 6384S Motor. It was extremely steep. I made it and was quite happy with the result so I went back down again. I used my Motor brake and all of a sudden I hear a sound SNAP SLING :no_good_man::boom::exploding_head:
The Belt broke and I was suddenly going down full speed - The board accelerated so fast that it threw me off and the board wjent down straight and crashed into a wall - luckily there was no car coming.
Had some broken parts on my Landyachtz board that I replaced and a couple of rashes and quite a shock that I can’t trust a belt (at least single belt driven) longboard when going downhill.

Crash 3:
I was going straight - minding my own business around 30km/h. At this time I was still using normal street tirest and there appeared to be a big stone in the middle of the street that made my board stop instantly. However I was keeping the 30km/h for the time I was still in the air until I again fell straight onto my Elbows and Knees (I am kind of a Straight Flying guy) :dizzy:

Crash 4:
Got a speed wobble at around 35km/h… I could jump of and “RUN IT OUT” but almost got injured because of the high running speed I had to keep up with :running_man:

some smaller crashes that are not worth mentioning as well as the usual Mountainboard Crashes (falling on the butt)…

6 Likes

And I have never fallen yet…

3 Likes

So there are ratings for helmets for different kinds of activities. Here’s a screenshot. So from my research bike helmets have weaker ratings(CPSC) for safety when compared to motorcycle ones(DOT FMVSS 218). It seems to be better to go for motorcycle helmets.

Based on that I am going for the one below which has the DOT FMVSS 218 rating. Turns out it’s also cheaper at $41.

or

Some say bike helmets are much heavier thus harder to wear and move

That’s true. 1kg(2.2lb) vs 1.7kg(3.7lb), both being for full face helmets(bike vs motocross)

I guess it’s a matter or preference.

I think it’s a matter of speed. Below 40km/h bike helmet is ok, above 40 motorcycle helmet. Just my opinion

1 Like

No MIPS, only CPSC protection.

Outline of the difference for everyone. CPSC is required to not obstruct riders vision (wider FOV) while MIPS is extra anti concussion protection.

I got the size medium. The cheek pads are a bit snug but I prefer it to the wiggle I could feel when shaking my head left to right on my old size large helmet.

Forehead measured 56.5 cm

1 Like

Someone already pointed out the weight difference, and while it may not seem like much, the accrued stress on your neck is not worth it.

My fire helmet is quite heavy with the flip down visor, light, etc. On a longer scene like a multi vehicle accident I really start to feel it.

There are a lot of bad ass motorcycle helmets out there and I would love to rock one myself, but I would caution you to put some serious thought into long term effects before purchasing. I’m 41 with arthritis in my neck that affects me every day.

As the wise Wu Tang Clan once said, Protect ya neck! :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m here to also caution against motorcycle helmet use. They’re designed to survive sliding across the asphalt from 100km+ without letting your head get cheese gratered.

It adds lots of additional weight to protect you from something that isn’t really an issue.

Just take a look at helmets from different high speed sports they’re typically as light as possible while offering enough protection for One crash.

Heck I guess if you wanna go nuts for safety maybe it is worth it investing in a motogp helmet as they’re only about 300 grams more than a TSG Pass. https://www.championhelmets.com/en/agv-pista-gp-r-winter-test-2019-rossi-helmet-limit.html

But 1500 euro ya know.

I’m surprised to see that neck protectors haven’t caught on in the downhill longboarding/e skating. They’ve definitely exploded in the dh mountain bike scene in the past few years.

Anybody here wear a neck protector?

1 Like

Idea I want to run by you fine folk

Attaching a small 1 inch mirror to my remote so I can see cars behind me.

Haven’t found a perfect solution but this is the general idea

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C1G5RKJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9lKnDbJ6XGYKW

why not something like this?

3 Likes

The look is the only deterrent haha

Can’t throw that in a locker at the gym. I feel like I’d need to be extra careful with it

1 Like

Don’t complicate @Venom121212

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cMIXJehS

5 Likes

I even like just a sweat band with a mirror on it. That’s a great suggestion man. Thank you all.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, Ive been using a Thousand Helmet for the past month and recently took it hard fall.

The helmet broke and is unusable so I hit up the company and they are sending me a new one right away.

Im not saying there high speed crazy shit helmets, but for a nice light trip to the super market there awesome.

This is not a promotion, just sharing my experience.

3 Likes

How do you tell if a helmet is safe to keep using? Crashed at 21mph onto asphalt with a Pass, it only looks like cosmetic damage to the paint on one side but I had a splitting headache when I got the ground

How does the foam on the inside look?

Is it crack compressed or damaged in any way?

Headaches are impossible to prevent you can have the most expensive helmet on the market but you cant prevent you brain from moving

1 Like

No dents or cracks in the foam or shell

Pictures of the helmet?