Evan's Builds - Dremelseed, Nazare rebuild, Jaws rebuild

I tested out the falcon drives and they seem pretty nice. They are quiet and smooth. Freeroll is ok. Ripping around the neighborhood clocked in at 26wh/mile.

I don’t like the 4.2 ratio on them and overall I think bn drives made several better design choices. I also don’t need to go 40mph+, so I’m swapping these out for 5.5 straight cuts.

I disassembled them the other night to put them up for sale.

Ti axles uwu.

Hyperrims are a pain in the ass to get tires off.

Saying adios to hyperrims, falcon drives, 130kv motors.

The bench

Rrrrreeeeeeerrrrrreeeeee

Also, I lost like 5 titanium enclosure screws on a ride, so that’s cool

4 Likes

I’ve seriously considered running the BN drives open like that lol (or at least partially like that).

1 Like

I thought about that but then someone pointed out you have the big bearing in the case as well.

1 Like

Right but shouldn’t the wheel and axle nut plus spacers push everything up in alignment, is that other bearing just a way to enclose it all…. :thinking: questions….

1 Like

The case bearing holds the rotating part that screws into the adapter, so i assume you would destroy the inner bearing much faster if you didnt use the case.

1 Like

I had a marathon build weekend. Like 20+ hours working on 2 of my 3 boards. But I got done everything I wanted to.

• 5.5 boardnamic straight cuts on hypertrucks are on. One of the 89 tooth gears was too big for case and the other one was terrifyingly close to the edge. Dremel time. Apart from the currently questionable battery, this board is almost done.

@longhairedboy can i please get a re-tag? “dremel Evan” - @glyphiks

• Demonseed got a makeover. @zero_ads let me borrow his Hoyt 5” wheels and bn270’s to see what would work well on the demonseed. I can’t wait to test ride these and see how everything feels. I got the wheels to work with my bn220 hangers and there’s no chance of wheelbite with the paris plates.

• the stages of denial over how much needed to come off the demonseed:

7 Likes

I feel like the demonseed build needs to be named DremelSeed

6 Likes

It shall be done

4 Likes

The wheels look pretty good on there :star_struck:

2 Likes

My 2 lacroix builds ride surprisingly different so I set out to figure out why.

First up - flex test.

The old 7 segment enclosure results in a more trampoline like spring vs the deck with the newer 4 segment enclosure. They are pretty close and I’m not sure I prefer one over the other, but the old one is bouncier.

4 Likes

Next observation - ride height is the same on both boards, but I’m on 175mm tires on the naz ss and 200mm on the jaws. That seems odd. I want lowwwww on the naz.

The ride height of the m2 and hypertrucks is very similar, so it’s not that. But, looking at the offset of the truck, the m2 extend the wheelbase significantly compared to the hypertrucks. This longer wheelbase lowers the ride height.

I guess there is nothing I can do about that but I wish the HTs had a similar offset like the m2.

1 Like

I just realized hypertruck baseplates are not symmetrical front to back. I think I can flip the baseplate around and extend the wheelbase slightly on the naz ss. This will lower the ride height. Stoked.

1 Like

Well, I’m stoked - flipping the base plates worked out perfect and reduced the ride height by 1cm.

So now it has the ride height and wheelbase I got used to on matrix ii.

Stock config

Flipped baseplates

Board pointing to the right (stock config)

Flipped config

5 Likes

I added up how much the 18s Naz upgrade cost me, now that I have bought and sold all the parts that were going to get swapped out, and sold my old Jaws.

This doesn’t count the many hours I’ve spent on this rebuild, but it has been a fun project. Definitely worth it.

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 8.01.30 PM

4 Likes

Niiice that’s not bad at all

2 Likes

Killer dude

2 Likes

The new board also lead to a bunch of purchases I would not have otherwise made, but were also largely unnecessary.

I’m bucketing these as the YOLO purchases. Fuck it man - do what sparks joy.

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 9.37.01 PM

1 Like

Using the new ultimate esk8 calculator to check the force and speed of various setups for my Nazare.

I want to be able to swap between the 165mm xcell RS tires and 200mm tires, and maintain >500 Newtons of force. 500 Newtons is the stock force of a lacroix naz ss with falcon drives, so that is why I chose 500 as the number to beat.

With my current 151kv motors, I am not sure if I’ll be happy with the top speed on 165mm. It might be ok. I’ll have to ride and see if I hate it toward the end of a ride.

If it’s not fast enough on xcell tires, I could swap in a 21t motor spur gear, but that not ideal for force with 200mm wheels.

The next ideal scenario looks like the one below. Switch to 127kv and 4.24 ratio gets me 3mph more speed, and force is very good for both wheel sizes. 32mph is where I start feeling spooky, so this could work.

And, if I wanted to a hair more speed, 138kv on 4.24 ratio would do it.

I could also do 5.5 ratio on 173/175kv, and that would be perfect for both wheel sets. I like the 4.24 ratio because it growls and the 5.5 ratio screams

2 Likes

Another thought - 21s unlocks high speed and I’m replacing the battery in this board anway… :smiling_imp:

@Skyart any thoughts on 21s on 100d+? I think @poastoast - redacted

2 Likes

Man I don’t know…maybe without breaks

1 Like