Evan's 1st Mountainboard | The Apex Croix - 4wd atrocity

I put the shims on the inside of the pinion on the maytech motors, loctited everything and left it over night to cure.

The next day when I went to put stuff together I discovered that the 1.2mm of shims caused the pinion to grind into the case of the jump drive.

So I took a heat gun to the pinions and put them shims on the outside of the axle. No more grinding.

I used a little bit of green loctite on each pinion. If there is no loctite, the pinion has a little bit of rotational wiggle due to the tiny amount of play between the key and the pinion.

I also got the trucks on the board and took it out for a push ride. I have white krank in back and red up front (barrel / cone combo). This setup has mega lean and feels really fun compared to channel trucks. I’m looking forward to getting motors on here and ripping some trails.

4 Likes

Well it turn out maytech axles are too long for jump drives. Spent today dreaming the case and sanding the end of the axle.

Yep that metal next to the retaining clip is mighty thin. There is also loctite 638 on the axle.

5 Likes

I feel responsible.
Or maytech QC should be.
Mine were perfect. :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

It’s all good - this is DIY. I expect to get the dremel out at the slightest inconvenience. :grin:

3 Likes

5 Likes

So much soldering. Phase and sensor extensions are done.

Top box is mounted.

Maker x escs wired together so I can’t accidentally blow the can chips connecting them one at a time with can connected.

2 Likes

I got everything connected today and to be honest I kinda hate the phase wires running out of the trampa cable route plate.

1 Like

It will make your throw up in your mouth a little when you drill a hole all the way through your beautiful deck for your phase wires. But you’ll forget all about it when you see how much cleaner it looks.

8 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this, but I suspect my fat ass (and 12s13p p42a battery) will snap the deck like a twig if I weaken it like this. Got pics of what you drilled/any reinforcement you did?

Oooh yeah. I’m ready to do something like that. I hate these phase wires.

The reason I haven’t done that so far is I want this to be a pretty robust mountain board. I worry about the safety of the phase and sensor wires if I’m bashing them into rocks and riding down stairs.

+1 on what Benjamin said. Can see see some more pics of the bottom and hear about what you used?

1 Like

I drilled 3 small holes through the deck: one for the sensors and two for the phase.

Then I made a skid plate out of a thick sheet of ABS plastic and attached with threaded inserts. It feels pretty robust. If you were really concerned about protecting the phase wires, you could probably make something even more durable out of a sheet of aluminum or something.

I seriously doubt that these holes are going to impact the structural integrity. But then again, I like living on the edge.

6 Likes

Yup, centre of board and bash guard / skid plate thing what I did for this

Bash guard is fibreglass and carbon

6 Likes

I think I’d do the same if the lacroix deck was stiffer, but it has a ton of flex. I’ve got an idea. Its either gonna work or I’m gonna ruin the deck in the process… wish me luck

6 Likes

The wire holes I drilled in the deck were pretty small but I understand the concern.

Keen to see what your plan is!

4 Likes

This looks incredible. Nicely done! What did you use to cut the deck so cleanly?

1 Like

Battery drill and a file

1 Like

Here are a few pics of the skid plate I made:

6 Likes

Ok credit to @Evwan for this idea. It requires drilling holes between the trampa cable tidy antisink and the baseplate. If you drill the holes at an angle it should work.

The other option is to ditch the cable tidy completely and drill two holes before the baseplate. This would require two 5x20mm holes. I don’t know how good I feel about taking material out in that spot near the deck angle.

2 Likes

I tackled the wire routing problem today. I decided to go with other Evan’s solution of drilling out between the cable tidy and the baseplate. I figured this is a pretty structurally stable area to be able to safely remove enough material to get the wires through.

Away we gooo. I used a drill to make the holes and a dremel to clean the sides up.

4 Likes

but… this is where you boardslide… :confused:

isn’t that the point of a top battery. :grinning:

1 Like