Eskate Laws (SERIOUS)

I’ve done some digging through state and city laws/ ordinances. Its grey apparently the cop today decided my electric vehicle was a coaster/ toy like rollerblades :joy::joy: its all good. Hopefully we can get the law more clearly defined as it sits right now state law is in my favor.

2 Likes

Curious to see what roads can and can’t be ridden? Here’s what I got so far difference in countries? Ohio’s not super strict but they are enforcing scooter laws
Neighborhoods: 25mph no more than 5 mph of speed limit stop at signs
Roads: go speed limit or to far left 5 brake up and helmet needed just act like a car and follow all signs and lights
Sidewalk: 15 mph or under 12years- only
Bike paths\routes. No limit

1 Like

Where are you located? I’m in Ashland, Ohio and frequent Cleveland and Columbus.

1 Like

Cincinnati

1 Like

Well, in Russia we don’t have any regulations on the electric vehicles today. When you’re on the board you’re still a pedestrian. That is weird af, but anyway, it makes you able to ride wherever you want to, no one cares, as it is usual here.

7 Likes

Illegal. Technically “legal” up to 6km/h (3.7mp/h)

3 Likes

7000 ft lbs of energy could kill a pedestrian in a crash doesn’t make sense

There was already some accidents when scooterists crashed directly to the pensioners with the lethal ending. And still nothing about this in our “PDD” = Traffic rules.

But to be honest, there is some organization that is currently works on it, since the amount of scooters on the sidewalks increased drastically. But nobody can guarantee that it will end up with e-scooter restrictions at least.

And what about esk8, during the August, I’ve seen only 5 guys on boards, so e-skates are so unpopular here, that no one knows, wtf is this.

UPD: to continue my last note about unpopularity of the esk8 even in Moscow, here is rough translation from russian of the dialogue between random guy who saw me on my board and my friend on the e-skate.

-Hey! Hey man! (shouring to me)
-What happened? I know him.
-Where the fck did he get that thing?
-He build it by himself
-HOLY SHIT, tell him to continue this way, its “ohuenno” (a.k.a “Absolutelly amazing” in the rude form)

Just pure astonishment

6 Likes

We already have 2 threads covering this topic .

@mmaner

3 Likes

Just don’t be a dick about it and no one bothers you everywhere I’ve ridden in Ohio.

9 Likes

Some 80-year-old dude passed me and matched my speed, then rolled down his window.

He yells out “28 MPH!”, gives me a thumbs up with the biggest grin, and speeds off.

Flow with traffic in Ohio and only the rednecks with diesel pickups and truck balls will hassle you.

10 Likes

I hate those guy’s :joy:

2 Likes

And they hate everyone. :joy:

1 Like

On the other side of the lake from my neighborhood is a retirement community and all the old folks love my skateboard. One guy swears he invented skateboarding every time I pass him. I stop and play shuffleboard if he’s ever playing.

5 Likes

Oh, you don’t even know the Russian women that are older than 50.
Pure hate and anger, that scares to do/say something to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ayy go cats! I was big pissed when I heard about the Calhoun thing (Hate people ruining it for everybody)

1 Like

They’re still cool with people rolling around the campus. Next time you’re down this way, hmu and we can ride. I’m about 30 minutes north of Cinci.

2 Likes

I had my first run in with a city official today.

Who told me electric scooters are not allowed on trails…

Has anyone had any luck changing/influencing the rules for PEV/esk8 in their cities.

But, you were on a skateboard, yes?

1 Like

Or Onewheel, or electric unicycle .

“Motor propelled scooter means any scooter, e-scooter and other small wheeled vehicle which does not rely solely on human propulsion and is equipped with an electric motor that is capable of propelling the device to a maximum speed of fifteen (15) miles per hour.”