Eskate Laws (SERIOUS)

Damn, everyone in your guys’ town is nice® about esk8 :joy: The only time old people take notice of me is when they try and hit me with their car… :neutral_face:

My response to this question is always “About $150ish.”

2 Likes

I’ve had guys pull up alongside me in their car asking where’s the battery (this was still when I had the Evolve BGT), young kids incredulously yelling WTF trying to catch up on their push bikes, and guys yelling “maaate” and whistling (admittedly from an Irish pub, probably looking at my ass), so all friendly so far.

2 Likes

Damn… Their is two types of people who I come across. The ones where are mean and try to run me over/scare into wobbles etc or the ones who are sincere and actually interested…

The sincere people are very hard to come by that’s for sure. Usually the sincere ones start by asking how fast, I usually say, “Look at the street speed sign behind you… That fast.” and then they ask where I bought it from. Then they walk away impressed or looking esk8’s up on their phones :+1:

Old people I’ve found usually go in the trying to run me over section…

1 Like

ok where the fuck do you live I’m coming over

2 Likes

That guy was one word away from having a cool conversation.

2 Likes

Every single day after Christmas so far I have seen at least two young people on those Xiomi scooters bombing down the sidewalk at 20+ mph with no helmets on. It’s 100% going to bone esk8 for me when they all fall over.

2 Likes

We are fighting the same battle for the Netherlands. In almost the entire European region it is legal to use electric skateboards and onewheel. The last country’s that have almost complete ban’s are the UK, Netherlands and Germany.

We started a petition and a foundation based on users. And we called it LegaalRijden.nl (LegalRiding) So no company’s involved, strictly the end users/consumers. This has helped us greatly so far. Where electric scooter sharing platforms are facing closed doors, we as true e-mobility users are invited regularly for our expertise and fair honest opinions about the matter.

What would help your battle of legalizing is thinking together with political party’s and your government to construct a set of rules that make common sense.

For the Netherlands we are now lobbying for the following rules:

• The ability to have insurance for any e-mobility device
  • No driver license, license plate or any vehicle registration if it goes up to 25 km/h
  • Allow e-mobility on the bicycle lane up to 25km/h
  • Have to wear a helmet if vehicle can go faster than 25 km/h
  • A minimum age depending on the vehicle and the skill it takes: e-scooter, e-skate, onewheel, monowheel, e-bike
  • To treat electric skateboards, onewheel, electric scooters and monowheels all differently. Because of their different learning curves, breaking mechanisms etc.

Next to that we have a petition that is getting greater momentum each month. Sign it here :wink: We also printed 10.000 flyers for this petiton, that we shared during big tech events and on train stations ( commuters! ).

2019 was the year of talking to everybody. We sat down with political parties, scooter sharing platforms like Bird and Lime, we sat down with the biggest insurance company’s, we were on national television and nationwide newspapers. We ended december with a meeting with the government, talking face to face with the people that are going to decide the rules and we shared our points and opinions. It takes a lot of time, but we really think 2020 is going to be the year.

Good luck @agentdev, you are definitely not alone in this battle.

The local ESK8 community in front of the House of Representatives of the Netherlands

9 Likes

That is a really well-reasoned petition. I hope it gets the consideration it deserves, and it makes for great reading for anyone looking to do the same in their country.

Signed (FWIW) and will be watching closely.

3 Likes

We choosed the court way for our insurance(In Germany called ev without a pole) . The judgement falls on February 11th.

You should print off buisness cards for you board with specs and keep them in a waterproof box attached to the board.

Just hand those to people instead of saying anything.

4 Likes

:joy: genius. This would be a great idea for someone who is campaigning for PEVs like @agentdev. As is, i just want crackheads to leave me alone during my commute haha

2 Likes

That is my next step… it’s a huge opportunity to point people towards more info, yet have some right on the cards.

Awareness is key. Once these are no longer new to people, much of the problem goes away.

Some humans are just terrified of the unknown. So friendly answers go a long way.

1 Like

Or round like the Hoyt puck

1 Like

Just pulled over apparently because I have 4 wheels the city ordnance states I am banned from roadways even bikes paths and have to skate on sidewalks. Green scooters and euc variations are street legal though… I got a written warbing for violation of a city ordance.

What should mynnext step be speak woth the mayor? City Council member?

8 Likes

Convert to a diagonal 2-wheel eskate :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Start with you city council members. That sounds like the same language as our city ordinance… ultimately it was created to prevent kids from playing in the streets (tricks etc.) rather than using the road for transportation.

It is dated language from the origins of skateboarding paranoia.

3 Likes

Exactly the police officer even stated so and he was super nice and asked me questions so I ablidged. I answered all of his questions he gave me his csrd and said to call him so we coild figure out how to get it changed. I demonstrated the brakes. He stated I was wearing full prtective gear and he witnessrd me signaling a turn. It seemed like a hand are tied type of situation.

8 Likes

“Look man, I’m just doing this because I have to… Sorry.”

I’ll be honest… I’ve lied before and said I teach underprivileged middle school kids mechanical and engineering principles by building boards :grimacing:

I now feel like I need to though.

7 Likes

18 Likes