ESK8SUPPLY (DIY parts store with fast worldwide shipping) direct drive, 6.1 es controller, batteries, carbon fibre deck etc (updated: 12th Dec)

Where is the source code for the ESC?

1 Like

I have just spoken to the supplier. He doesn’t want to provide the source code😥. I will try explaining the situation to him.

2 Likes

nathen, tell him we’ll only use it for good!

2 Likes

you joke, but software with a license saying it cannot be used for evil is incompatible with the GPL :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

10-15 days is still fantastic!

Edit: BMS’s are impossible to find on your site. Can only be discovered via the best sellers carousel. I recommend adding a BMS category to the “DIY” shop and put them there.

Edit2: Okay, they are listed under “batteries” which makes sense. Would you consider keepingin stock some 12s and potentially 13S+ BMS’s? With the stormcore coming out you should be prepared!

2 Likes

So can you use CAN from one half to the other? I never got this working. How do you enable this?

Could you please show me those pads?
I bricked mine and really like to re-flash it correctly

I have now added the categorie “bms” under the battery so hopefully it is easier to find.
We will certainly look for some 12s / 13s as well :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

<3 U guys

2 Likes

It’s not optional, it’s stated clearly in the GPL license.

4 Likes

In that case stop selling, because each sale is a copyright violation. As soon as you have the sources and make them available, you can start to sell the ESCs again.

4 Likes

I always speak in support of open-source, but is the statement correct that each sale is a copyright violation? I thought the paying customers have to ask for the software and if the vendor doesn’t provide within a certain time frame then it’s a violation. Am I wrong?

5 Likes

There is no reason to guess. The terms and conditions are in the license the original author decided to copyright the work with.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt

2 Likes

@b264 I am guessing you are really familiar with every bit of the terms and conditions. Can you point me to the part that talks about providing a copy of the modified/original software along with the hardware. I tried looking but couldn’t locate it.

1 Like

It is easy: You either provide a written offer to supply the sources on demand (not recommendable for various reasons), or you have a place where the sources are made available and you give your customers the direction to this place.

However you do it, you have to distribute the GPL License along with the product and you have to offer the sources. If you don’t haver the sources to hand, you obviously can’t offer them to your customers. So obviously you violate the GPL in multiple cases. 3 violations and any single source code contributor can cancel your license for a life time. And that is the reason why you should not go with source code offers, since it iis easy to forget that 3 times when selling hundreds of products. If you mess with software devs, they simply order 3 products and then cancel your licenses.

If you offer your product with modified 1.06 FW it is also very obvious that you have to distribute an old (possibly modified) version of VESC-Tool along with the product, since the new Tool can’t configure your old and modified FW. And that is the second violation, called software piracy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HdlLD573GPohGy1IIYZkWTKZZ6lK12vP/view

2 Likes

Section 5c
Section 6

“object code” means the firmware on the ESC

You must either:

• 6a: You can send a CD or USB stick with the ESC, containing the source code, to purchasers of the ESC
  • 6b: You can send a written offer with the ESC, giving instructions to obtain the source code for the software on the ESC. You may charge only reasonable fees for your actual shipping and supplies costs to deliver the source code.
  • 6c: You can sell the ESC (second-hand) with a copy of the written offer described in 6b
  • 6d: You can upload the source code to a platform, such as github, for the end-user to access whenever they need to
  • 6e: only applicable in addition to section 6d

A lot of this verbiage was written when mailing floppy disks was how software was transferred.

by far the easiest, cheapest, and most common way is 6d

The alternative is simply that you may not sell or distribute the firmware. But you can use it personally, just without transferring it to another consumer or organisation. (useful if you are a military branch or an individual hobby tinkerer that doesn’t sell or ship the object code)

Complying with step 6d takes 5 minutes and costs nothing

Have your developer create a free account and upload the firmware to a public Github repository. Easy peasy. Everyone wins.

5 Likes

@Trampa and @b264, thanks for the detailed explanation.

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derail Jail 2020_Summer

Closed up shop.

5 Likes

Too bad. Nice guys.

2 Likes