Esk8 vendors should sell gps tracker.

I understand, how bad was the thiefs injuries btw?
Glad you got your board back and we’re unharmed my friend.

What you did was fine because you used a proportional amount of force to the crime being committed. In situations where there isn’t a lot of time to think or a lot of options the amount of reasonable force can vary too which likely helped your case. Now had you tried to continue to injure the guy after you stopped him and had your board back, then you’d be in trouble.

I can’t say I would have used the same method to stop the thief, but I certainly don’t blame you for how you stopped him. Also I physically wouldn’t be able to throw the guy around to stop him anyway. I’d probably have to try and trip the guy up or yell and hope someone helped to stop him.

Personally I only ever leave my board alone when indoors and in areas where there are either a good amount of people around, or where I still have sight of the only exit or I can still see my board. It is still my only means of transportation until I finally find a motorcycle I like and can ride, so I don’t risk it getting stolen.

He face was messed up from glass cutting him. Then his chest was cover with blood. I feel like I did something wrong, but it also felt right since this world is going crazy. He might have to have stitches from the hard impact.

1 Like

Hot take: you could have killed someone over an electric skateboard.

Personally, I can’t get behind justification of physical violence over material possessions that won’t even be functional in a few years.

Be careful man, you hurt someone pretty badly from the look of it, you could have very easily ended their life if things had gone even slightly differently

4 Likes

That person chose to steal, nobody forced them. It was their decision the entire time.

3 Likes

Yeah and you can make a choice not to jump over any chance to justify/glorify violence.

@b264 you lost any ounce of respect of your opinion on this topic by promoting draconian corporal punishment for petty theft (hand chopping for theft? C’mon dude)

You are already clearly hold an unreasonable response and get super triggered by this topic. Maybe take a day off?

You can choose to say no to violence as a solution.

<He can delete his offending posts if he doesn’t want them referenced>

2 Likes

I’m really glad the victim is okay :blush:

Sorry for what happened to you @Darkstar826

Hope you get over the mental trauma.

1 Like

Who launched someone through a glass window and sent them to the hospital. I think OP will be fine.

Brian, I legit just feel sad for you that you are so afraid of the world that fantasy violence is your only reprieve.

Even if the justice system isn’t interested in filing charges against you - the thief could easily file a civil suit against you for ramming his head through a glass window. He would probably win too. You’ve already admitted that you attacked him while he was running away.

Also, who the fuck leaves their expensive board outside a store? Never… Not even once, would I ever do that.

3 Likes

I also would not leave my board outside a store but I have seen a few folks I was with leave Onewheels and scooters outside stores before.

Definitely not advisable.

This you?

I guess where I’m from, anyone this obsessed with violent prosecution & judgment might be the one in need of a hug. :person_tipping_hand:

9 Likes

I literally used a padlock and chain to secure my boards inside of my van at Carve PDX. You don’t need to make it impossible to steal things - just a little bit harder. I feel bad for anyone who gets their shit jacked - but come on… use some common sense.

Also, fuck airtags in boards. I don’t want to get those goddamn notifications when I go on group rides. It is so annoying.

4 Likes

jim-okay

4 Likes

This is grippy sock vacation shit…

3 Likes

Even if i go to court. I’m fine with that. At the end of the day. I know he won’t do it again. That’s all it matters to me. I dont want sound like a gigachan. Im just tired of people stealing. Its almost every day on the news. Seriously it’s out of control here… even tho i left the board outside. We should not fear someone or worry someone going to steal our things. We should live in a world where we could respect each others period. Im still going to stand up for my action even if the justice system failed on me. At least i know the true who is right. Im sorry i did this.

8 Likes

I dunno man, it’s a slippery slope re crime and punishment for a theft. Is it ethical defending your property w force if it’s a skateboard? What about your car? What about the source of your livelihood? What about your kid? Letting the state deal w theft vis-a-vis imprisonment is just another form of violence if we’re being honest. Some blanket statement that theft should never be met w force is a gross oversimplification imo.

The extreme iteration of this idea (meeting non-violent crime w force) is obviously also inappropriate and unethical- shooting trespassers or would be thieves first and asking questions later. This is grossly disproportionate and an antiquated, machismo world view perpetuated by outdated, medival laws like the castle doctrine.

Imo, it’s appropriate to defend your person AND your property w appropriate/proportional force. I don’t think the OP did anything wrong even though the outcome was not what was intended. Ultimately, karma always catches up w thieves.

7 Likes

@b264 and @DerelictRobot . Lets not fight guys… i know did something right and wrong at the sametime. Im just here to get ideas so this doesnt happen again. Lets work together my dudes.

5 Likes

I’m sorry this happened to you. I’m glad you’re okay. I have a bkb GPS tracker if you want it for shipping cost.

In the end, an electric skateboard is a luxury hobby item/toy by the greater world’s definition.

I’m not advocating for allowing people to steal with impunity, but it would be impossible to not take into account that the US is a legal system that often values property over human life. We are already leaning the wrong way systemically.

Putting someone through a window is not a proportional reaction to a skateboard being stolen. OP also created the opportunity by leaving said skateboard unattended, in public, so there’s something to be said about personal responsibility here. If he’s afraid of theft because he sees it constantly on the news, why create a situation where something can be so easily stolen?

With a broken window he could be an inch away from creating a life threatening injury and ending someone’s life, permanently impacting those close to them for the rest of their lives.

Is an esk8 worth taking a life over?

I don’t think so, which is why you see me pushing back against this amount of escalation.

1 Like