Esk8 Top 5 Music

During 2020 covir lockdown I have been binge watching a lot of netflix and I checked out High Fidelity and the main charactor who has changed genders since the John Cussack movie. Relates miles stones in her life to top 5 songs. i.e top 5 break up songs. It got me thinking about my top 5 songs that remind me of skateboarding.
So here is mine, please share yours.

In no particular order…

1. Would you ever - Poo Bear Skrillex

Not only does it have some mad esk8 action the song features is some of my playlists. A bit of dubstep to cruise to, I am old school so drum n bass is more my bag. But i dont mind a bit of glitchy goodnees.

1. Tear the roof off - Bliss n Eso

Some home grown hiphop reminds me of hanging around skateparks with friends. No playlist is complete without some aussie hiphop.
  1. Gold Coast - Bandkamp

A song about my home town an oldie but a goodie.
You can see a lot of the paths I skate now. Also a bomb track.

4.Feuer Freil - Rammstein

Its freaking Rammstein nothing pumps you up for a skate like some german hardcore. Also notables opeth, dead Kennedy’s, nofx, metallica, tool, sepultra.
  1. Boneless - Steve Aoki

Light and fluffy electro track perfect for letting your mind wander. Also Aphex Twin, LTJ Bukem, crystal method, rustie &Goldie get a workout too.

2 Likes

Feuer Frei… you sir, definitely have good taste :fire:

2 Likes

This is getting a workout in my playlist ATM.
The lyrics are very topical ATM. No jokes please.

Guttermouth - Can I borrow some ambition
Nofx - stickin in my eye
Suicidal Tendencies - possessed to skate
Rancid - lock, step and gone
Dead Kennedys - police truck

I like punk :joy:

3 Likes

Fuck yes son. All bomb tracks. Don’t forget Drop kick Murphy’s…

1 Like

Not so much my tip 5 to ride to these days, but top 5 that remind me of eskate…

This song with speed… Jukebox Hero

This one because she says she is charged up and getting activated and she’s attractive

because eskate can be dangerous and I think crazy ass Tom Cruise buzzing the tower

Just feeling these vibes when riding:

And this one I just get a bit nostalgic about, the feeling of being out there in the world, hundreds of miles away from family, making new friends, drinks under the moonlight and all the time in the world to skate and explore new places as the Texas heat and humidity cools for the evening.

2 Likes

And the Dreadnaughts.

2 Likes

Ohhh nice, how have I never come across these dudes!? I got me some listening to do :ok_hand:

1 Like

The Dreadnoughts, righteous skate music.

2 Likes

I just listened to a few tracks on spotify, got them earmarked for further listening tomoro :ok_hand: cheers! Love finding new old music :joy:

1 Like

Youngsters. Traffic The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. The definitive esk8 song was written long before esk8. With good lessons for us all:

If you see something that looks like a star
And it’s shooting up out of the ground
And your head is spinning from a loud guitar

And you just can’t escape from the sound
Don’t worry too much, it’ll happen to you
We were children once, playing with toys

And the thing that you’re hearing is only the sound
Of the low spark of high-heeled boys

The percentage you’re paying is too high priced
While you’re living beyond all your means
And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
From the profit he’s made on your dreams

But today you just read that the man was shot dead
By a gun that didn’t make any noise
But it wasn’t the bullet that laid him to rest was
The low spark of high-heeled boys

3 Likes

I’ll take bands that I wouldn’t think I’d see referenced on esk8.news for $1000, Alex.

And here I was thinking it was about the relationship between dealers and junkies.

3 Likes

Mighty fine listening to them now. :taco::taco::taco:

1 Like

Not necessarily songs that remind me of skateboarding, but that I usually listen when I ride.

1. These ever-mutating aussie psych-rock monsters launched 15 albums in seven years, all of them with a different style. This song is from one of their most explosive albums, embedded in a frenzied barrage of riff-heavy head-bangers. It makes you want to ride like a mad man.
  1. This song is drowsy, disconcerting dream-pop at its best, just like the rest of the album. Great for listening while cruising in open wide roads.
  1. This is such a vibrant nostalgic track with an infectious groove, from another aussie band. Perfect for sun-setting rides near the beach.
  1. From the shuddering bass line to the tinkling synth, this 80s inspired synth-pop song screams slow carving with the sun setting in front of you.
  1. A breezy song with a great chord progression, lo-fi production, and a slow-burning beat. Perfect for those stops to enjoy the views and relax.
2 Likes

Reminds me of night out in the Valley & festivals pre child.
Really miss the Aussie live music scene.

I can’t choose a top 5, so I picked 5 good songs for 2 different types of rides :joy:

1. Relaxed rides

Not nearly as pumped and punky as the rest, but slower paced atmospheric rides kick ass :v:

In no particular order:

Arrival in Nara - AltJ:

Lovers in Japan - Coldplay:

Perfect Pillow - Chon:

(Nearly obligatory) Electric Feel - MGMT:

Veridis Quo - Daft Punk:

1. Feel good music for when you just gotta zoom :man_shrugging:t2:

In no particular order:

I Wonder - Kanye West:

Maui Wowie - Kid Cudi:

4th Dimension - Kids See Ghosts:

The Separation of Church and Skate - NOFX:

Become a Mountain (edit) - Dan Deacon:

E: I gotta add Kansas by Gorillaz to the chill ride group of songs… fat synths and slow tempo = big tunes

2 Likes

Struggling to get over the fact you’ve got Kanye West and NOFX in the same selection…

I like a lot of music :man_shrugging:

1 Like
  1. Best sunny day chill song, hangover optional but encouraged.
  1. lots of dynamic tweaks
  1. dirty dirty dubstep d(-_-)b
  1. unph
  1. drugzzz

Fuck I’m out of songs and I didn’t make a scratch in my playlist. Music is so cool.

2 Likes

Dude! Grabbitz is my homie! He’s from Buffalo where I live. So cool to see you post that. He’s making moves

2 Likes