Esk8 safety: What helmets and gears should you use for electric skateboards?

Like old ladies wear…

depends

high quality motorcycle gear is pretty light weight… but you’re not going to like the price! but how much is your melon worth?
Check AiroH, 6d, and Vemar scoot helmets…

2 Likes

Add Triple 8 Racer to the full face list! Zero Gravity Vectors also but they haven’t been available for a while.

As for half shells, there are several that are bike and skate rated: (check helmets.org/dualcert)
Triple 8: Gotham (also with MIPS), Brainsaver Dual Certified, Lil 8
Bell: Local, Trans, Surge, Exodus, Shield, Maniac, Psycho, Injector, Bike Candy, Segment, Full Flex, Reflex, Ramble full face for kids
POC: Receptor +
Shred: Bumper Light
Vigor Sports: Audio (speakers in helmet)
American Safety: ASHP Safeguard 11
Helmets R Us: Model 17
Top Gear: Model 18
S-One: Lifer, Kid
Nutcase: Street, Little Nutty
Pro-Tec: Full Cut, Classic (NOT “Classic Skate” or “Classic Full Cut Skate”)
Punisher: Pro Series Neon

And downhill mountain bike helmets (ASTM F1952 impact rating):
100%: Aircraft (MIPS)
Bell: Super DH (MIPS and removable chin bar), Full 9, Transfer 9
Giro: Switchblade MIPS (removable chin bar), Disciple MIPS, Xult, Xact
Lazer: Revolution FF (removable chin bar)
Bluegrass Eagle: Brave, Intox
Fly: Werx Ultra
Kali: Savara
Leatt: DBX 5.0, 3.0 (check the model, only Leatt publishes their test data)
MET: Parachute
O’Neal: Warp
POC: Coron
Shred: Brain Box
Specialized: Dissident
THE Industries: T3 Shield
Triple 8: Invader
Troy Lee Designs: D2, D3, D3 Carbon
TSG: Advance, Advance Carbon

Notice some helmets in this thread are NOT listed in this post- check the ratings!

Depending on speed, you may consider a motorcycle helmet (Snell or ECE rated). They’re bigger and heavier, but provide better impact management.

Pads: the G-Form pads are the only ones I’ll wear just because they’re so slim and have the rigid protection on impact.

3 Likes

That’s because TSG Pass and Triple 8 racer have the downhill mountain bike rating- the others you listed do not. Not to say they’re bad (like Steelbird or Ruroc) but they don’t have the BEST impact management.

Sadly the S1 Lifer full face appears to be out of stock, along with the Zero Gravity Vector. Looks like Sector 9 no longer offers any helmets, but they do have a sweet downhill suit! (also out of stock in anything but S)

2 Likes

My toe got hurt somehow in brand new shoes.

What kinda of shoes do you prefer wearing?

2 Likes

Usually just Vans

1 Like

Ahh that makes sense. I saw a bunch of safety certs for the S1 including ASTM, but you’re right, it’s not downhill. Predator has even fewer ratings.

Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

In my daily commute I am wearing a Bell Full Flex that is comfortable and has exceptional quality. I would trust my head with it over my TSG Pass any day (but of course it doesn’t protect the face).

I also have the Demon Flex Force wristguards mentioned -amazing engineering, you can feel the force of the impact distributed away from your delicate wrist assembly, up to the strong forearm bone. Sadly the lining on the right one only lasted me 2 years before it started falling appart (though still offers protection, it probably won’t make it past the winter). They are also a bit warm -tolerable for the UK summer but inssuferable in a hot country.

For kneepads I have the 187 Derby Pro, a total overkill that I only use some times in the winter because they are so warm and clunky. Their protection is impressive: to show off how ridiculous the cushioning is to a friend I purposefully jumped as high as I could, landing on my knees, on hard pavement. I’m 85kg and didn’t feel a thing. But I prefer to use some cheap no-name ones that are half their size.

Likewise for elbow pads.

My impression from my many clumsy falls around 20-25mph is that hard plastic is what always made the difference: it just causes me to slide (as I’m crap at rolling). Thick foam/paddings is just an overkill and make you feel clunky and hot. The minimal padding of even the cheapest hard-shell guards seems more than enough to spread the force of impacts at these speeds. It’s just important that the protection secures well -that’s where some of the cheap ones I tried failed.

1 Like

I’m a fan of the concept of hard plastic slide pads.
Went down at 20mph, or so the other day.

Did a dive roll thing. The gear did it’s job.
Got up and kept going.

Fox Titan jacket. This is premium and nice.
Triple 8 wrist guards. This is cheap and basic.
TSG downhill pro kneepads. These are premium and nice.

https://www.foxracing.com/titan-sport-jacket-[blk]-s/24018-001-S.html

6 Likes

@bevilacqua thanks.

7 Likes

Looks good on you!
(glad it arrived well)

1 Like

New olders have awesome design options and look beautiful. Only con is they take forever to ship cuz they’re in Brazil

14 Likes

How’s the Predator by comparison to the Pass?

I’ve got the Pass in XL and it’s still too small for my head. I’m considering either the Predator or the S1 Lifer Full Face… and the S1 is winning cos I don’t need to take a mortgage out on it.

1 Like

That and the fact that they have no safety certifications.

1 Like

I’m thinking about getting one. Hows the quality? If it protects your soft head, should be good for me too.

1 Like

Quality is legit, it’s a trusted longboard brand

Beautiful :heart_eyes: how much was it?

1 Like

This one fits tighter than the pro in xl.
For me the predator is tighter on the ears.

I’ll know better when it’s used to my head. Only just put it on once now for test fit.

1 Like

About $270 so comparable to a tsg

1 Like

You can ask @Sender how it holds up in a crash

1 Like