ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

fair enough
stock boards do cause an issue

speedometer in pocket is prob a good place to start

I still don’t think there’s any point in restricting any of these values until you get to large track racing

The track itself should be the hardest thing - rider capability is 80% of the struggle, then the other 20% is having a faster / stronger / better board

Yeah and if you don’t rely on specs, rather, rely on the track, it will influence board decisions

7 Likes

Last derby days we broke in to 4 classes, and ended up combining 2 together in to one for the numbers needed to race(DIY & Open Production).
Boosted Open - any production, non modded boosted board (i know lol)
Production Open - Any production board - top speed 35mph or less
DIY - top speed 55mph or less
Street Pro - Above 35mph

all that said, the boosted race was the most entertaining race as everyone was matched and it came to skill and luck

4 Likes

I believe they do this via gearing, which gives them the most possible torque

If all boards were the same, would have to have different rider weight classes to be fair.

1 Like

What if you had price categories and / or weight categories

That could be interesting

People can build boards for small amounts but for example you can’t fit a 4wd board into a $1000 budget

I meant new parts - especially right now

I assume they use current control, which means that wouldn’t change their top speed…

1 Like

Mamba ESC’s not vesc, I assume their programming allows them to do what he is talking about

1 Like

Does the throttle control speed or power? It can literally only be one of those two.

If you’ve ever tried to ride something using speed control instead of power control you’d realize that it won’t work, especially for racing.

He probably means the speed is electronically limited, which wouldn’t have anything to do with throttle %

And why could moe limit top speed electronically? Cutting it down from 50 to 40mph this way would do nothing for your 5 to 25mph acceleration, where it matters in short track.

If he were to limit from 50 to 40mph via gearing, he gain back all that 40 to 50mph acceleration in his 0 to 40mph acceleration.

If there’s a third scenario I’d really like to know.

current control + calculate the duty cycle % which is ____ mph and limit duty cycle?

So you’re using lower voltage batteries in certain races? And in place of packs in series you do packs in parallel for more current?

So the mamba ESC’s use voltage control? Hm, didnt think of that. So weird.

Mad track day in NL yesterday. Great turn out, as always, and a wide range of PLEVs taking part. Photo credits to Hector Nieman, massive respect to @pjotr47 and Lars for organising such an excellent event and congratulations to @wodxz for destroying the rest of us with a lap time of 1:17.45 - a full 3 seconds faster than second place! :astonished: :clap: :clap: :clap:

More than anything else, esk8 racing needs leaders like these if it’s ever going to grow. It needs people who’re prepared to put all the hours in to get out there and lobby the kart track owners or the parking lot owners, take a punt on all the advance costs, sort out scheduling, logistics and attendance, publicise before and after, and make sure that these events happen and that they keep happening.

Everything else is just trimmings. Classifications and rules will form organically over time based on the tech at the time and the pursuit of more competition. Regions and events will inspire each other and may begin to standardise themselves (or not) based on their local contexts.

If getting access to cart tracks is a big obstacle, maybe the NL crowd (and others) can share their success stories starting with how they first got their foot in the door and how the situation and relationship has improved since then.

Let’s make it happen!

14 Likes

Great post!

4 Likes

Esk8 division for the Broadway Bomb race NYC.

6 Likes

Oh don’t get me started on the drama around this event

1 Like

Please get started, I recently saw some odd posts about a new legal version that has the blessing of all of Manhattan’s precinct Chiefs, Jimmy Soliday was involved etc.

https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.soladay

1 Like

Do tell! I don’t use Facebook so I’d appreciate any info.

1 Like

It seems like it’s all bullshit lol. We cant tell tho. We’ll find out Saturday :relaxed:

Jimmy seems like he was trying to take over the management of bway bomb because they introduced a nonbinary bracket to be more inclusive, and Jimmy is homophobic and he hates it.

2 Likes