ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

See I was thinking of that, but wouldn’t your weight be up front anyways for a typical skating stance/tuck? There’s rarely much weight in the rear, and it feels like the need to add weight currently is an effect of RWD rather than a cause.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Where you position your weight doesn’t really matter all that much, your board will “overpower” where you put your weight, an object at rest will want to stay at rest, and even if you lean forwards you will still be thrown back by the board accelerating. Moving your weight to your front at high speeds is easy, being able to move all your weight to the front under hard acceleration is literally impossible.

1 Like

Ok I couldn’t get this image out of my head so here you go DallE best tries @ARCTIC

Takumi Fujiwara drifting on an Esk8

3 Likes

Dude someone last year did this, it was nuts.

4wd boosted board with one remote per hand

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnXS-zmjltG/?hl=en

@MetroLinkX4 is living your dream with 4wd vesc based stooge v5. as well as 4wd vesc based 3link redember44

2 Likes

I would firmly disagree with this. In every racing series there is, a slight amount of sliding is crucial to unlock ultimate lap time. It’s called Slip Angle. If you aren’t doing it, you are WAY behind on pace compared to someone who is using a slight slide to maintain a higher minimum apex speed, and get some rotation through the corner for free.

3 Likes

I just want to add some writing about this topic:

As i understand there is a difference between “slip angle” and “slide angle”.

The “slip angle” occurs on every vehicle even without sliding.
The “slide angle” describes an excessive “slip angle” that ends up in sliding.

5 Likes

this is also my plan. I have a 44" RedEmber with 4wd and 2x stormcore here… curretly with MBS truck. Now I plan to add the 3-link trucks and maybe a front foot strap. Hope that turning tight will be easier then.

1 Like

That’s not true and slip angle doesn’t mean what you think it means. In cars the steering can’t over power the friction of the contact patch so it twists the rest of tire around it so when the following twisted part comes into contact the angle difference between the contact patch and the following part is called slip angle, not an ebin 4 wheel Tokyo drift.

The only time slip is faster is when you are comparing someone 2% over the limit vs someone 10% under leaving grip on the table, 0% slide and fully maxing out traction will be faster than any slide. This is all just what the technical perfect is, it requires an incredible amount of skill to stay at perfect grip levels so it’s easier to find the limit by going slightly over it then correcting even though there is technically a faster way.

3 Likes

I clearly haven’t got it right then because every time i feel like I’ve slid in a lap my times are worse.

We dont have a huge racing scene so hard to know. I commented on my experience. Be awesome to ride with guys like yourself one day as always learning.

2 Likes

All very interesting. Thanks.

1 Like

Here some comments from ChatGPT:

I like to talk about racing car cassis.

Sure, I’d be happy to discuss racing car chassis with you! What specific aspects of racing car chassis would you like to talk about?

Is it faster to have drift in curves or is it faster to have no drift?

In general, it is faster to have no drift in curves when racing. Drifting is a driving technique that involves intentionally oversteering the car, causing the rear wheels to lose traction and slide sideways through a turn. While drifting can be visually impressive and can help to make quick changes in direction, it also slows the car down.

When a car drifts through a turn, it is not traveling in the most direct line possible. This means that the car has to travel a longer distance than if it were to take the turn without drifting, which takes longer to complete. Additionally, when the wheels are sliding, they are not providing as much traction as they would be if they were gripping the road, which can lead to a loss of speed.

That being said, there are certain situations where drifting can be useful, such as in certain types of rally or drifting competitions where style and entertainment value are prioritized over pure speed. Additionally, some drivers may choose to use a controlled drift in order to maintain control of the car when driving at high speeds on a particularly tricky turn. However, in most types of racing, minimizing drifting and taking turns as quickly and efficiently as possible is the best way to achieve maximum speed.

how about formula one?

In Formula One, minimizing drift and taking turns as quickly and efficiently as possible is also the preferred technique for achieving maximum speed. The sport emphasizes precision and speed, and drivers are typically trained to take turns as smoothly as possible, without losing grip or sliding sideways.

In Formula One, cars are designed to be highly aerodynamic and to hug the road as closely as possible. This means that they are engineered to provide maximum grip in turns, which can be compromised if the car is drifting. Additionally, Formula One tracks are designed with specific turns that require drivers to maintain a certain speed in order to remain competitive. Any loss of speed, even momentarily, can be costly in terms of lap time.

That being said, there are some situations in Formula One where controlled drifting can be useful, such as when a driver is trying to overtake a competitor or avoid a collision. In these situations, a driver may use a controlled slide to change direction quickly without losing too much speed.

Overall, though, the aim of Formula One racing is to take turns as quickly and efficiently as possible, without drifting, in order to achieve the fastest lap times and secure a competitive advantage over other drivers.

how about cart racing?

In cart racing, the answer to whether drifting is faster or slower can be more complex than in other forms of racing. Cart racing, also known as karting, is a form of open-wheel motorsport that involves racing on small, four-wheeled vehicles called go-karts. Unlike Formula One cars, go-karts have a much lower weight and power-to-weight ratio, which can make them more prone to drifting.

In some situations, controlled drifting can be useful in cart racing. For example, when racing on a wet track, drifting can help drivers maintain control of the kart while navigating through turns that may be slippery due to rain or other precipitation. Additionally, on certain types of tracks, such as tight, technical circuits, drivers may use a controlled drift in order to take turns more quickly and maintain a competitive advantage over their opponents.

However, in most cases, minimizing drift and maintaining maximum grip is the preferred technique for achieving the fastest lap times in cart racing. This is especially true on dry tracks, where drifting can cause the kart to lose speed and momentum, ultimately leading to slower lap times.

Overall, the importance of drifting in cart racing depends on a variety of factors, including track conditions, kart design, and driving style. While drifting can be useful in certain situations, in general, it is important for drivers to focus on maintaining grip and minimizing drift in order to achieve the fastest lap times and secure a competitive advantage.

As I understand it seems that with optimal conditions, no drift is the fastest option.
But there are “special” situations where drift can be an advantage.

I really like your point @ARCTIC:

an elegant perspective on real life driving. :wink:

2 Likes

The first thing to know about tyre slip angle is that there is no actual slipping going on (don’t you love engineering descriptions!)
Tyre Slip Angle - 2 Clear Explanations [with Animation]

but… I think that’s a terminology concern.

verbiage aside, i still haven’t groked why sliding in dirt is considered faster but not on asphault.
With F1 cars it seems to be because the downforce due to aero is lost and traction is lost quicker.

2 Likes

chatgpt :poop:

Yah, i was referring to rally cars on dirt, or sprint cars. chatgpt verbosely describes what that is. and that it’s considered faster, but also kindly that it’s considered less fast seomtimes. not really helpful clarification on why it’s considered faster to slip when there’s less grip vs not slip when grip is available.

Idk if the chatgpt response there answer’s the question for you… but for me it reads as ambigious as the forums i’ve read… which it was likely trained on. :smiley:

if it helped you maybe you can clairify the point it’s making in your own words.

1 Like

Dealing with dirt is very different than pavement. The traction is a lot less, and the tires do not break away in the same manner as pavement. On pavement, as the car turns, the tires are achieving a greater and greater slip angle. On road race slicks, once you pass a certain slip angle, traction drops off very rapidly (see the picture that I took from the video I posted earlier). On a passenger car tire, the traction drops off much more gradual, so that the average driver can usually detect it and correct it before the car swaps ends. But on the dirt, the breakaway point for slip angles is waaay out there, you have to be very sideways to find where the tires let go. So the basic nature of dirt allows you to put the car sideways in a manner that is almost impossible on pavement. On dirt, you have to find traction, or manufacture it. Because you can achieve great slip angles in the dirt, racers have found that one fast way around the track is to use the driving wheels like vectors. You want to go fast and corner? Going fast means you want your force vector to point straight backwards. Going around a corner means you want your force vector pointing straight to the side. Do what comes hard on pavement but easy on the dirt is to combine both force vectors and the resultant force vector is pointing at a 45 degree angle to the rear and side. Like this.

The front tires aren’t doing much, but in this right-hand corner, if you examine the rear wheels you can see that they are pushing (the force vector) not only backwards but sideways. If you put that same car on ice and imagined that the fronts could maintain traction, the same action would be happening …regardless of the level of traction." TL;DR- On dirt or other loose surfaces, the rear tires on a rally car are used to push the car into the apex while maintaining forward momentum, because loose surfaces provide nowhere near as much front traction during steering as hard surfaces do.

2 Likes

Been racing cars since the late 80s. What fascinates me the most about e-board racing is the unknowns of this sport. We are continuously discovering what makes speed. The ability to transfer large weight % front to rear and maintain right to left lateral loading balance is just one factor that is intriguing to me.
What works the best will be determined on the track till someone comes along and changes the game again.
We are all involved with the process. These are like the days of when automobile and motorcycle racing were in its Infancy. This is a very special time to be involved in e-board racing.

11 Likes

So true. I wish I was 10 years younger to be a bigger part of the growth. Exciting times for sure!

5 Likes

heh, that sounded so familiar. I actually read that whole thing here:

It just sort of jumps to the other force vector ideas, (which i think is the one morgan has in his head). that you want the thrust from the rear wheels pointed at the exit.

none of which really says why with more traction you don’t also want to do that.

it all just raises more questions for me.

1 Like