ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

@jack.luis I’d really like to set up a race day in my city. Any tips as to the organization/admin/turnout side?

1 Like

who’s that cutie in the red shirt on the ownboard zeus?

1 Like

all of us fell at least once :rofl:

i got some yucky road rash on my ass.
With an agility race all of us fell <15mph, and usually to the side.

2 Likes

Attend local group rides, build up some reputation, and work with the people that typically host group rides in your area.

Get there early, set up, have clearly defined rules and yell at people that break them.

This was more hit or miss - this race replaced our weekly group rides so our turnout was considerably lower than most weekly rides. After one small successful race, spread the pictures and videos to encourage other people to attend. This is what we’ve done.

3 Likes

I have no idea

1 Like

Sos format we ran in SoCal.

@Yeahthatperson has ran a few races in WA State in partnership with the city of Bellingham.
Derby Days.

We piggyback on Downhill events and race Up-hill.
Streets of Lancaster Super karts of America set us up with a two day event.

AVS pev race. @BenChieffen

A matter of putting yourself out there and seeing who shows up. Social Media had made the world pretty dang accessible for getting the word out to small groups with similar interests.

1 Like

Look at all these large open spaces you guys have I’m so jealous

Yeah, so for me the city of Redmond was already doing an annual bike race in downtown Redmond. And they would block everything off for the race a whole city block. So I approached them with the idea of putting together an electric skateboard race. I wrote a really fancy fucking letter that said a lot of shit about green commuting, the future of electric vehicles, the future of personal electric vehicles, and being in the middle of a tech city they loved it and gave me some requirements that they had to make shit happen. Which mostly they just wanted to know that I had a crew of people to actually put on what I’m talking about. They wanted me to partner with an actual company or business of some sort. All the skater businesses are fucking sketchy but I got somebody to say that they would do it, I knew that they would not and would back out but it would get the city to say yes and get shit moving. Day of the company totally dropped the ball but I had about 15 volunteers and we put the shit on! It was fucking epic! The world’s first city sanction and publicly spectated electric skateboard race! The city liked it a lot and the next year expanded the race and that went fantastic! Then enter covid and the city canceled the 2020 race, and the 2021 race got canceled as well due to budgetary issues. The city is still stoked, and there’s a really good possibility that we’ll be doing this again for 2022

6 Likes

TL;DR: You want to make something happen just start planning and doing. If you want to make it happen you’ll make it happen! When I ask the city I totally expected them to say no are you fucking crazy… But they didn’t!! So just get out and manifest some races!

5 Likes

No one’s gonna show up to your race if you don’t believe in it yourself

6 Likes

Hey. @jack.luis

Wear a helmet.

Love,
Dad

2 Likes

Did I forget to put one on again, Dad?

1 Like

yes. not wearing one is dangerous

signed,
a hypocrite

1 Like

Something something future-crimes.

2 Likes

I will offer my body and skillz… gonna need a sponsor though :joy::joy: as I currently don’t own a race board.

1 Like

Fantasic video by @janpom , I’m very jealous of the friendly gokart track owners ya’ll got in Europe

3 Likes

You have an area like this and yet complaining?! :face_with_monocle:

When I want to practice, I have to get up at 6am and head up to the IKEA parking lot. It’s empty before the opening hours.

Thanks for sharing my vid. Here’s some more.

This one is from the board view:

9 Likes

haha yeah I should be more appreciative for pier 76. What im most jealous of is not having to setup the track every time lol

Also these videos are sick, I may have to try your video+GPS setup soon.

Was your track big enough to allow for passing safely? In your opinion

1 Like

That go kart track is actually pretty cool. No doubt about it. The problem is that we don’t get access to it other than for esk8 racing events, which is 1-2 times a year.

I definitely recommend it. And it doesn’t require much. You just need GoPro 5 or newer (maybe not too new; those have some issues) and install RaceChrono.

I think the track size wasn’t the issue, yet it wasn’t easy to overtake. This was mainly due to how even the race was. If you’re significantly faster than the guy ahead of you, it’s easy to overtake. If you are barely faster though, it’s challenging, especially when the guy ahead of you sticks to the optimal path.

We’ve talked about this with guys and one idea is to have a joker lap as in the rally cross. Once in the race, each racer needs to take an extended route. That opens more opportunities for changing the standings.

2 Likes

I really like this idea, may give it a shot

1 Like