Esk8 Convention 2022

I can read into that - it feels like a real shame to put it all to waste simply because of one person

These guys are actually legit, they resell some stuff that they assemble into “diy-prebuilts” they’re alright.

Again, legitimate vendor

These guys have been around for a while now but not many people here use their stuff

Probably coincidence of either wordpress, squarespace, or most likely, shopify.

Maybe yeah

yes - they started at completely different times, it’s completely different people, and different approaches.

4 Likes

Put what to waste?

I feel like you might be putting too much weight into an amateur organized event in LV.

Why would anyone have any confidence they could coordinate a successful event? What qualifications do they have outside of their location?

Are we still pretending the conventions are a thing worth investing money into as vendors? They’ve been on a downward trend since about 2015, see: Maker Faire’s fate & CES attendance. This isn’t really accounting for what a post-COVID world is going to look like for large indoor events.

In my own experience, from iHobby to CES to Maker Faire, they aren’t worth the money as a vendor unless you’re already huge & have money to burn, or are a startup actively searching for investor capital.

8 Likes

Mboards return address:

Holy shit I think you’re right

Edit: just saw @BenjaminF post. It’s mboards lol. Abandon ship

3 Likes

At least u guys have a convention… And a Vegas.
In Belgium we only have farmland and banks

12 Likes

My point was just that in order for the hobby to continue gaining traction, we need events like this to bring it into racing and being more serious

Yeah that is a good point too though, how would he have any idea how to run an event of this scale? Who knows

4 Likes

Perfect opertunity to take over the event and make it a esk8 news event while having mboards pay for the space :joy::joy:

Kidding ofc, but on some level this is helpful to the hobby as a whole.

4 Likes

Sure, and let’s also rally around Potter and Psychotiller. Meanwhile, I’ll try and get in touch with Jeff Wu.

15 Likes

Not again Billy.

8 Likes

This would be the floor plan:

@DerelictRobot I understand your point but the cheapest booth costs USD 400, a booth in any other convention costs USD 5000.

It may or may not be a good way to promote vendor products, I’m not 100% convinced if an es8kcon could beat a good website and the vast source of information from the forums. New and experimented esk8 builders make a purchasing decisions not because they touched and felt the item on their hands, but because they make their own research about products and vendors before placing an order.

4 Likes

Lol okay sounds like a field day

Maybe we can make a bomb while we’re at it - but like, promise we are going to make a bomb, and take preorders, but then send dick pics to each customer and refuse refunds

2 Likes

Yeah, FWIW I spent a decade with my prior company exploring the convention world and found it to be a complete waste of time & resources. Towards the end our policy was that we wouldnt attend unless we were getting paid to do so.

I think the internet makes these things largely unnecessary unless there is a major activity component to them, and I’m not sure a race run by folks with no history of racing is a huge draw.

5 Likes

Also, the problem is, this is probably going to be heavily promoted on social media soon, and unfortunately some of these individuals are likely going to pull some decent views

The real question though is how many people will want to pay the $35 to actually get in

It’s not like it’s going to be a race like apple valley or anything, to me this feels much less professional, especially with all the different categories and no mention of required protection

2 Likes

ESK8-Bros Unite.

6 Likes

Well, my strong suspicion is you’ll be the only Ferrari vendor at a Toyota Tercel convention.

14 Likes

@mikebeard you think you could get a serious media presence?

I hope those guys can make it to esk8CON if they’re not too busy begging for scraps on .builders.

2 Likes

https://forum.esk8.news/t/f-k-mike-beard-and-mboard-in-the-a/12009

Worth a read for anyone wondering why people are raising a stink about Mboards. Here’s a single incident of many.

8 Likes

And all run by a guy who can’t send out a can cable in less than a month.

4 Likes

I’ve never wished more that @kook was still around.

3 Likes

I’m in the car tuning industry and went 2 times to Sema as a attendee, besides walking kilometers for 2 days straight and finally met personally some of my usual vendors and representatives, there was nothing I could rescue from that convention

8 Likes