Esk8 confessional

12s4p is the shittiest battery size.

It should either be smaller or larger. Essentially the most pleb tier of battery configurations

This is quite a broad brush strokes statement. But it is the truth^tm

10S5P has treated me well and it’s nearly the same size. No pneummies though, so it’s significantly bigger than 48/50 cells with rubbers

Eh? Whats the problem with 12S4P? Gives you enough P groups to push decent current, but is a step up in voltage from 10S while still being compatible with a fair chunk of VESCs on the market.

Silence 12s4pian

Yeah 10s2p master race.

I dont get it. Going smaller either means dropping the voltage, which is just giving up the efficiency and top end benefits, or reducing the P groups which means you’re giving up on potential battery amperage that you could be pushing. Going bigger means either increasing the voltage, which makes VESC choice significantly more difficult and expensive, or increasing the P groups to the point where you can’t make use of the extra amperage capability without again, buying a more expensive VESC.

This is wholly inaccurate, as running the cells at lower currents will pull more more watt*hours from each cell than running them harder will. In addition, lowering the current drawn from each cell can affect cell choice and possibly allow a different cell to be used which could further the gains if it was all engineered correctly.

1 Like

Thats assuming the goal is absolute capacity though, rather than power. I dont find myself needing more range than a 12S4P can supply, but i do want more power. Thats just me though.

I just sold a partially complete board and instead of buying more esk8 stuff I think i’m gonna buy a new bed.

7 Likes

I approve

1 Like

Upon your approval i have bought the new bed. This better give me the best wet dreams.

After buying the rather expensive bed I came to the realisation that I’m nearly 40yrs old and this is the first bed i’ve ever paid money for.

#feelingadult

12 Likes

But… but… you can sleep on a board, but you cant skate a bed!

3 Likes

That was quick!

I also need a new one. My mid plank has been cracked for years now is held together by duct tape

The bed is squeaky, creaky and old.
My mattress is worn down to the point where I’m laying on top of a piece of cloth and then already the springs.

What bed did you buy?

4 Likes

Oof yeah that bed looks cooked. Put some bricks under it :rofl:

My frame is still fine,i just got a new mattress. The brand is called koala, i’ve been hearing about them for years, they get excellent reviews and i slept in a super comfortable bed the other day that made me realise how shit my bed is.

So i got a new one :grin:

Now i’m kinda keen to make a bed frame out of all of my skateboards

1 Like

Apparently I have also adopted a koala.

14 Likes

I do sleep comfortably so it makes me wonder how good it can get with proper mattress/bed :thinking:

I need to read myself into how these foam mattresses work or what is suited for me.

2 Likes

Welp. Im feeling like an idiot.

Have been working on modifying and upgrading a Zeus Pro for awhile now, with the most recent addition being a truck swap to BN270+adjustable hangers. Trucks look great, but i entirely missed a couple things.

The belt drive motor mount plates are thicker than the ones on the zeus pro stock, which means i cant use the stock 6374 motors with its stock pullies, because theyre apparently welded on with the might of zeus and i cant shift the pullies further out. Ofcourse, i figured this might be an issue, so i had some flipsky 6384 motors on hand, but those require repinning the ESC or buying a VESC to connect them to (and also buying different 8mm keyway shaft pulleys, which ofcourse i dont have on hand).

I also wanted to mount them drop through, but the locking bolt and nut on the adjustable baseplate interferes with the deck itself… not a huge deal, one purchase of 6mm diameter steel pins to replace the bolt and nut combo and that’ll be sorted.

Annnnd also i bought them with 10-8 stepped axles because i wanted to use street wheels with my nice zealous bearings, with the intention to use the xcell 8-12mm axle adapter to run my larger pneumatics… but they have an interference issue with the M1AT drives that mean i cant take that approach, so i guess ill be buying a seperate set of BN270 hangers with 10mm axles, and swapping the bearings on these Xcell hubs to 10mm. Or just holding off on the M1AT and using my pneumatics with the belt drives like a peasant again.

So in summary, what i thought would be an one day job to switch to some nice and wide RKP trucks with either gear or belt drives is now turning into a multiple week, or potentially month long ordeal where im gonna end up spending another 500 bucks on a VESC and remote before i can ride again. Wooo!

On the upside, this Boardnamics stuff is stupid nice. Machining is top notch and the tolerances are amazing. Seriously, the axles into the hangers are damn near airtight, and the adjustable baseplates two pieces are nearly a friction fit.

2 Likes

Confession: I don’t take apart boards that work.

3 Likes

What prevents you to put wheels and motors on a bed frame ?

2 Likes

I remember tripping balls at a festival bout 15yrs ago and seeing a motorized lounge. Had to double check with everyone around me that it actually existed :sweat_smile:

5 Likes