Esk8 confessional

I was using my heat gun and shrinking some heat shrink around new solder joints, was hot so I rested the heat shrink briefly on the thin carpet before moving it again cause I was too lazy to find a new outlet for the gun and heat it back up again. Left a burn mark on that carpet.
Then proceeded to turn on the board before going outside, accidentally bumped the throttle and the wheel ripped a patch in the carpet upstairs… all in the same day.
let’s just say mama no esta feliz.

10 Likes

I have 2 builds that run no bms

Have done for 6 months and a year respectively.

don’t give a fuck. Fight me.

6 Likes

Tehe. It’s true. But I watch my cells obsessively at least once before charging. Almost always. But I’ve changed and just got a huge amount of lithium iron A123 26650 cells and they’re very hard to go to flame…unless u drill through like 4 of them in the pack with a drill. And then the flames from those didn’t ignite the rest so that’s good. And I now pass the confession mike to @evoheyax

7 Likes

My confession is that I also like LiFePO4, but mostly because of the high cycle life and that they work well in cold. Mostly the high cycle life. Nothing worse than an otherwise completely functional skate with a worn-out battery.

They will put a huge dent in your range though

5 Likes

…DAMNED if you do DAMNED if you don’t…

we had an everlasting winter here in ca. and we turn our motor-amps way the faaaaaaaaak up… now it’s getting back to normal temps here… i’ve smelt some burning motors… better do a sanity check on my motor amps…

3 Likes

Update time. I just received a letter from the regional council regarding my confiscation.

At first i feared that they found out they fucked themselves but they just want money for the broken laws of using a not insured vehicle, having no lights etc.

The fine consists of:

70€ for the broken laws
25€ fee
3.50€ for paper expenses.

98.50€ total. + I’m getting 1 point added to my Driving aptitude register.

here is the whole story for those who haven’t read it yet :smiley:

11 Likes

I’ve started accelerating downhill, gravity is just not doing enough for me anymore :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Yesterday, I drilled into 4 a123 cells by accident. I ran out of my house like a mad man waiting for the pack to blow up. The 4 cells were on fire and smoked for about 20 minutes, and then put itself out. No other cells caught fire. Only 8 cells were damaged. The rest survived and no uncontrollable fire, unlike my 30Q incident…

12 Likes

I’ve been running real puffy lipos in my mtb for about a year, but instead of replacing them i buy new motors…

9 Likes

Back on topic…

This is what happens when you don’t notice that the charger is set to 220V :zipper_mouth_face:

It was me AND the hardware. But mostly me.

2 Likes

LiFePO4 confession time. The Headway 40152S cells I run are 5 years old and second hand, they were saved out of a cold warehouse by yours truly for $3 USD per 15Ah cell (that’s $60 for my current 20S 990Wh battery kids!).

I bang on them pretty hard, no BMS either (yay brother-from-another-mother @Dareno!) and charge them from a wall charger. When I checked voltage 4 days ago, they were all perfectly balanced (to within 0.01V). Fight me.

14 Likes

with all this fake-news accounts going about i have to confess, i am not actually scott morrison, the prime minister of australia sorry.

9 Likes

I moved from California to Germany over two years ago and was not about to stop riding my electric vehicles. I sold my electric boards before I moved since I was not attached to those prebuilts, but brought over my OW in early 2018 and used it to commute to work everyday it was not raining. I get yelled at by cyclists, honked at by cars, and reminded by certain employees on a weekly basis that I was breaking the law. During this lock down, I’ve been having a blast riding my DIY board and will use it to commute to work once I am told to return to the office.

I have accepted that at some point, I will get pulled over by the Polizei, try to claim ingnorance and talk my way out of it, but accept a fine will have to be paid.

I am sorry to hear about your experience, and its reminder that the German view on personal electric vehicles is bullshit. Where do you live? Perhaps my Stuttgart area is just more relaxed on the rules as long as I ride responsibly.

11 Likes

Not sure if speaking in English would help with the ignorance or hurt :thinking:

1 Like

Thats 100% the opposite for me. In 4 years riding esk8 i had 2 bad encounters. One Grandpa who was mad he couldn’t pass us on his ebike and a Karen in her mid 40s where i didn’t make her room while she walked on the wrong side.

Apart from that every.single.person was interested in my boards, asked if i made that myself and asked loads of questions and gave lots of support.

I live in a fairly “small 80k” city an hour from Frankfurt away. The problem sometimes is that we have the typical hotspots and lots of refugees that cause trouble. Now with rona the popo is patrolling everywhere

8 Likes

I was stopped by the police one time here in SoCal. The Officer was building a board and wanted to ask about mine. Custom classic cars are a big thing here in my town. The drivers almost always give me a thumbs up on the board. We stopped by the shop where they repair my autos yesterday. The owner drooled all over my skateboard.

9 Likes

My local park I ride through has hot rod shows monthly. I rode through the parking lot yesterday feeling shameful that I’m on the zippy weenie stick compared to them but they were ALL super cool and friendly about it.

Never had a single cyclist say anything nice :smirk:

Not counting bmx folk

4 Likes

I will add that the compliments and curiosity far outweigh my comment above, by both cyclists and coworkers (even the swabians).

2 Likes

28 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derail Jail 2020_May

@DEEIF

Stupid shit…

Axle got stuck in my SR RKP…neoBOX debacle… I had a change of heart on rear top mounting the batteries/electronics…lost interest in the enclosured belt drive I had (sold it)…looking real hard at hummie hubs and TB DD’s…all of it took the wind out of my sails.

I just want to complete a board and ride, the weather is getting real nice.

4 Likes