Epoxy maximum temperatures [SRO]

Does anyone know how high of a temperature various epoxies can withstand without degrading? I’m having trouble finding this information.

Specifically West System 105 & 206 epoxy and maybe West System 650 as well

2 Likes

All I have to do is make a thread and then I find it.

Does anyone know what “DSC” means or “Tg”?

I did find this:

1 Like

Google indicates that Tg is the glass transition temperature, so that’s when it starts to become less solid. The mechanical specs probably aren’t valid above that temp.

1 Like

This may help

PETech-09.pdf (317.2 KB)

2 Likes

My main concern is not if the material gets glassy, but if it will degrade.

Such as if, upon cooling, it remains structurally sound or not. And at what temperatures that happens.

Maybe some experiments are in order.

1 Like

Sounds interesting for sure, I don’t know the answer myself. I would caution that if this epoxy is in a motor for example, running it with overheated epoxy could screw up the wiring even if the epoxy turns out fine after cooling.

If you need epoxies that can operate at high temperatures, there are some available that you can cure or do a post-cure anneal in an oven to significantly raise the maximum operating temperature.

1 Like

This is from 2007, but may still apply

Does anyone know what approximate maximum temperature West System 105 Resin/206 hardener can withstand after full cure?

West System customer service is 866-937-8797. I spoke to a rep and was told that 200 degrees is not a problem. It can withstand temps up to 400 degrees but will start to soften at the higher temperatures.

2 Likes

Nice :+1:
I would still double check if that 200deg figure is for epoxy that’s been cured at high temperature though, before roasting a part :grimacing: That’s the same temp range people do oven cures at.

Just for the written record, I’m going to assume all those figures are Fahrenheit

3 Likes

Just to confuse the written record, I’m gonna say Rankine

1 Like

Given the fact that epoxies as a whole are thermoset polymers, they are in the literal technical definition of being both tough & stable. I.E. repeated heating & cooling in general should not lead to any significant premature degradation on the level of chemical bonds.

As long as you’re using epoxy rated for whatever temperatures you’re hitting in the first place, repeat heating & cooling won’t be an issue. If whatever you use is underrated though, it would make sense that on some measurable and possibly concerning level that it’s degrading over temp. cycles

5 Likes

Milliput superfine white epoxy is rated for 130°C

1 Like

I know this is not epoxy but a possible alternative…

For gluing magnet that came loose.

Loctite AA A-671

idek what thread to post this is… Can’t even find our recent convo about this.

Damaged Motor Can - Is it Safe?
Battle hardening motors