EOVAN / Stakboard Aireless Wheels Review

In interesting of keeping this going, I’ve designed a pulley to work with these wheels in union with the metal pulley spoke adapter.

V1 is looking pretty great. Got some minor dimensional adjustments to do to make it fit better but at initial look, the 37mm bearing to bearing spacing on my design is easily used on extended axle trucks whereas the 50mm of their pulley is not.

4 Likes

The stock pulley is super heavy at around 265g. What are the replacement pulleys made of and how much do they weight? When will they be available?

They remind me a lot of a Trampa gummy. Me personally, I prefer thane if I’m going for a bigger airless wheel. I’m just waiting for Dexter @torqueboards to stop quarantining his secret 130mm wheels he produced.

6 Likes

:flushed: I hope your jest is right!

1 Like

We just gotta convince him enough people will buy them. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We’re trying vote if you haven’t!

2 Likes

Lol everyone wants them but I’m not convinced that they would be much lighter than airless wheels like these. I swore by my TB110’s until I rode pnuematic and then got spoiled. Only downside of the pneumatic is the range cut

If you’re asking about the one I printed, I designed it last night and refined it a bit today. I can weigh it for you, I printed mine in PLA+

We will see how many miles it lasts for, hard to say without testing. I’d like to get some Nylon and print it in that too

1 Like

I’ve finished my design revision of the pulleys, they’re rev 3 now with the final changes. I think they look great and am excited to test them out. With these pulleys and standard width bearings you can now use the Eovan wheels on standard extended axle (50mm) trucks with some room to spare.

Unfortunately I neglected for some reason to weigh the pulleys before putting them on my board. I will weigh them after I do a post-ride inspection. From guessing, I would say that they are less than 1/3 of the weight of the original pulleys.

8 Likes

The motor cans look dope :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

Rode 10 miles on these boys today. I have to say I am pretty impressed and they are quite comfortable to ride. The pulleys worked perfectly and after the ride I couldn’t see any obvious wear on them.

I fully expect wear after 50-75 miles but it will take a little while to get there considering how early it gets dark in the winter.

8 Likes

Wear them out! rgggrgrrgggggrrrrrrrrrrrr. ahhahahahaha

1 Like

Considering you mention that, I am curious to see how well the wheels themselves wear. It seems like they will wear pretty quickly. Hard braking leaves marks even if they wheels don’t skid

3 Likes

some marks or wear isnt a big thing on rubber wheels i guess, but i want to know if the rubber comes off at some point hahahhaha

1 Like

Yeah haha for real. When I spun the wheels by hand you can see the rubber wobble a little bit I couldn’t feel any wobbles riding, even up to 30mph

4 Likes

Is there any interest in me making a fully 3D printed pulley for these?

In my current pulley design, it utilizes the metal adapter from the original pulleys, which I believe would make them last an extremely long time with no breakage.

If there is interest I can design and offer a fully 3D printed version after testing it. I will be testing these pulleys for a while to see how many miles I can put on them before wear starts appearing on the PLA+. Additionally, I will be obtaining some Nylon filament to see how those last as well. The Nylon would theoretically hold up a lot better to hotter environments and would theoretically last a bit longer due to its higher wear capabilities.

I am unsure how much the spoke design varies between different versions of these wheels. However, if you do have the metal default pulleys that these wheels come with, it’s not that hard to take off the metal spoke adapter to use with pulleys like the ones I’ve designed.

2 Likes

Went for another cruise today, about 11 miles. The wheels performed well on varying surfaces from asphalt to grass and gravel. I’ve been impressed so far with their performance. The pulleys seem to be holding up just fine.

3 Likes

similar confidence over terrain to the 110s but not near pneumatics I guess?

1 Like

Surprisingly these have a little higher confidence in my eyes over the 110’s although they feel harder. You can tell that there is less thane/rubber on the wheel compared to the 110’s but even at that, the larger size and wide wheels still give a confidence edge. I actually haven’t ridden the 110’s in a while because I had my pnuematics on the board for the last month or so.

Pnuematics are still a much more comfortable ride and provide even more confidence. However, something interesting that I’ve found is that these wheels do sometimes have more grip offroad due to their huge offroad contact patch.

2 Likes

Yes, I am really quite interested to get a set of these in addition to the full rubber version.

seems like a really good thing to try out given they are new and high performance.

would love to see the future versions of these rubber at wheels

They can make inflatable PU wheels, would be cool to see rubber versions of this

2 Likes

Yeah surprisingly though the wh/mile numbers are closer to pnuemmies than I’d like lol